Abordaje ecográfico de la porción lumbar del músculo psoasArticle in several languages: English | español
28 June 2019 (online)
The deep part of the psoas major muscle originates from the transverse processes of lumbar vertebrae L1 to L5, whereas the superficial part originates from the lateral surfaces of the T12 vertebral body. The muscle descends, crossing the anteromedial portion of the vertebral bodies, and, at the level of the pelvis, it joins the iliacus muscle, forming the iliopsoas muscle and inserting onto the lesser trochanter of the femur. This is the only muscle that inserts at this site, and it is innervated by the branches from the ventral rami of L1 to L4, which correspond to the crural nerve.
The iliopsoas is involved in dynamic movements such as walking and is important for the maintenance of static standing. Its primary functions include producing hip flexion (with a fixed trunk) and lumbar extension by increasing the lordosis (when the muscle contracts with fixed legs, the anterior pelvic tilt increases).    Besides, this muscle has a stabilizing role for the hip and lumbar spine.       The function of the same cannot be recognized as being separate from the iliacus muscle, as demonstrated via electromyography.
The aim of this study was to demonstrate a new approach for locating the muscle to enable a sonographic assessment of the lumbar origin of the psoas muscle, beginning with a basic examination in the groin region. Moreover, we sought to establish an accessible and safe sonographic approach to enable us to assess a portion of the psoas muscle, which has been poorly studied to date. Hence, this may help establish a possible evolution of lesions affecting this muscle.
This sonographic description may be relevant within the field of physiotherapy as it is an approach that is seldom used. Additionally, it provides useful information regarding the quality of the contraction of the psoas muscle along its path besides detecting changes that affect the size of the same and possible alterations in its cortical insertions. Ultimately, it allows clinicians to detect any asymmetries, as comparisons can be performed with the other psoas muscles. This can expand our sonographic assessment of this muscle.
- 1 Sahrmann SA. Diagnosis and treatment of movement impairment syndromes. St. Louis: Mosby; 2002
- 2 Neumann DA. Kinesiology of the hip: a focus on muscular actions. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2010; 40 (02) 82-94 . Doi: 10.2519/jospt.2010.3025
- 3 Neumann DA, Garceau LR. A proposed novel function of the psoas minor revealed through cadaver dissection. Clin Anat 2015; 28 (02) 243-252 . Doi: 10.1002/ca.22467
- 4 Yoshio M, Murakami G, Sato T, Sato S, Noriyasu S. The function of the psoas major muscle: passive kinetics and morphological studies using donated cadavers. J Orthop Sci 2002; 7 (02) 199-207
- 5 Levangie PK, Norkin CC. Joint structure and function: A comprehensive analysis (3rd ed.). Philadelphia: F. A. Davis; 2001
- 6 Muscolino JE. Kinesiology: the skeletal system and muscle function. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2014
- 7 Mcginnis PM. Biomechanics of sport and exercise (2nd ed.). Champaign: Human Kinetics; 2005
- 8 Basmajian JV, DeLuca CJ. Muscles alive: Their functions revealed by electromyography (5th ed.). Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1985
- 9 Blankenbaker DG, Tuite MJ, Keene JS, del Rio AM. Labral injuries due to iliopsoas impingement: can they be diagnosed on MR arthrography?. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2012; 199 (04) 894-900
- 10 Blankenbaker DG, Tuite MJ. The painful hip: new concepts. Skeletal Radiol 2006; 35 (06) 352-370 Review
- 11 Balius R, Pedret C, Blasi M. , et al. Sonographic evaluation of the distal iliopsoas tendon using a new approach. J Ultrasound Med 2014; 33 (11) 2021-2030 . Doi: 10.7863/ultra.33.11.2021
- 12 Lewis CL, Sahrmann SA, Moran DW. Anterior hip joint force increases with hip extension, decreased gluteal force, or decreased iliopsoas force. J Biomech 2007; 40 (16) 3725-3731
- 13 Levangie PK. The association between static pelvic asymmetry and low back pain. Spine 1999; 24 (12) 1234-1242