Determination of Freeway Space in Completely Edentulous Patients Using Lateral Profile Photographs—In Vivo Study
Received: 22 November 2018
Accepted: 30 December 2018
28 June 2019 (online)
Objective This study aims to determine the freeway space (FWS) using lateral profile photograph (LPP) as an adjunct in completely edentulous patients.
Materials and Methods In this study, 30 patients in the age group of 45 to 60 years who met with the criteria were included. LPPs were taken for all participants using standard protocol and a duplicate copy was obtained, on which three soft tissue reference points—porion (Stp), gnathion (Stgn), and gonion (Stg)—were marked and joined to form an angle Stp-Stg-Stgn. This angle was correlated with the mean FWS obtained using swallowing. Simple linear regression model was used to develop a prediction formula for FWS using Stp-Stg-Stgn angle as the independent variable.
Result This study shows that the angle Stp-Stg-Stgn had a significant negative correlation with FWS.
- 1 Potgieter PJ, Monteith BD, Kemp PL. The determination of freeway space in edentulous patients: a cephalometric approach. J Oral Rehabil 1983; 10 (04) 283-293
- 2 Gillis R. Establishing vertical dimension in full denture construction. J Am Dent Assoc 1941; 28: 430
- 3 Eriksson PO. Muscle-fibre composition of the human mandibular locomotor system. Enzyme-histochemical and morphological characteristics of functionally different parts. Swed Dent J Suppl 1982; 12 (Supp) 1-44
- 4 Moller E. Evidence that the rest position is subject to servo-control. In: Andreson DJ, Matthews B. eds. Mastication. Bristol, UK: John Wright and Sons; 1976: 72
- 5 Wolff J. Blakiston's New Gould Medical Dictionary. 1st ed.. Philadelphia, PA: Blakiston; 1949
- 6 Vinnakota DN, Kanneganti KC, Pulagam M, Kumar P, Reddy K. Freeway space determination using lateral profile photographs: a pilot study. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2016; 16 (03) 242-247
- 7 Huumonen S, Sipilä K, Haikola B. et al. Influence of edentulousness on gonial angle, ramus and condylar height. J Oral Rehabil 2010; 37 (01) 34-38
- 8 Orthlieb JD, Laurent M, Laplanche O. Cephalometric estimation of vertical dimension of occlusion. J Oral Rehabil 2000; 27 (09) 802-807
- 9 Konchak PA, Thomas NR, Lanigan DT, Devon RM. Freeway space measurement using mandibular kinesiograph and EMG before and after TENS. Angle Orthod 1988; 58 (04) 343-350
- 10 Anic-Milosevic S, Slaj M, Lapter-Varga M. Basic principles for taking extraoral photographs. Acta Stomatol Croat 2005; 39: 201-204