MRI and CT Guided Cryoablation for Intracranial Extension of Malignancies along the Trigeminal Nerve
Objectives To describe the technical aspects and early clinical outcomes of patients undergoing percutaneous magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided tumor cryoablation along the intracranial trigeminal nerve.
Design This study is a retrospective case review.
Setting Large academic tertiary care hospital.
Participants Patients who underwent MRI-guided cryoablation of perineural tumor along the intracranial trigeminal nerve.
Main Outcome Measures Technical success, pain relief, local control.
Results Percutaneous MRI-guided cryoablation of tumor spread along the intracranial portion of the trigeminal nerve was performed in two patients without complication, with subsequent pain relief, and with local control in the patient with follow-up imaging.
Conclusions Percutaneous MRI-guided cryoablation is a feasible treatment option for malignancies tracking intracranially along the trigeminal nerve.
Grants, Disclosures, and Other Assistance
The Advanced Multimodality Image Guided Operating Suite was supported in part by the National Institutes of Health (grant P41 EB 015898).
Institutional Review Board Statement
The study was approved by our institutional review board.
Received: 14 February 2019
Accepted: 05 May 2019
12 June 2019 (online)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Cole CD, Liu JK, Apfelbaum RI. Historical perspectives on the diagnosis and treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. Neurosurg Focus 2005; 18 (05) E4
- 2 Chu KF, Dupuy DE. Thermal ablation of tumours: biological mechanisms and advances in therapy. Nat Rev Cancer 2014; 14 (03) 199-208
- 3 Nakatsuka A, Yamakado K, Maeda M. et al. Radiofrequency ablation combined with bone cement injection for the treatment of bone malignancies. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2004; 15 (07) 707-712
- 4 Tatli S, Acar M, Tuncali K, Morrison PR, Silverman S. Percutaneous cryoablation techniques and clinical applications. Diagn Interv Radiol 2010; 16 (01) 90-95
- 5 Guenette JP, Tuncali K, Himes N, Tatli S, Lee TC. Spine cryoablation: a multimodality image-guided approach for tumors adjacent to major neural elements. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2016; 37 (12) 2396-2399
- 6 Guenette JP, Tuncali K, Himes N, Shyn PB, Lee TC. Percutaneous image-guided cryoablation of head and neck tumors for local control, preservation of functional status, and pain relief. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2017; 208 (02) 453-458
- 7 Lee TC, Guenette JP, Moses ZB, Chi JH. MRI-guided cryoablation of epidural malignancies in the spinal canal resulting in neural decompression and regrowth of bone. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2019; 212 (01) 205-208