Surgical Repair of a Sinus of Valsalva Aneurysm: A 22-Year Single-Center Experience
Background Several reports described the repair of sinus of Valsalva aneurysms (SVAs); however, there is still debate regarding the optimal method of operation. We investigated the determinants of the development of significant aortic regurgitation (AR) and long-term survival after surgical repair.
Methods Between January 1995 and December 2016, 71 patients (31 females; median age: 33.3 years) underwent surgical SVA repair with (n = 60) or without (n = 11) rupture. Aortic valvuloplasty (AVP) was performed using Trusler's technique in 28 patients (39.4%), and 11 patients (15.5%) underwent aortic valve replacement during the first operation.
Results There was no early mortality, and three deaths occurred during follow-up (median: 65.4 months). Patients with grade II preoperative AR who underwent AVP tended to develop significant postoperative AR, but freedom from significant AR did not differ statistically (p = 0.387). Among patients who underwent AVP, freedom from significant AR did not differ statistically between those with grades I and II and those with grades III and IV (p = 0.460).
Conclusion Surgical repair of SVA with or without rupture can be performed safely using the dual approach technique. Concomitant aortic valve repair can be performed without difficulty and should be recommended not only for patients with moderate or severe preoperative AR (grades III and IV) but also for those with minimal or mild preoperative AR (grades I and II), whose aortic valve geometry needs correction.
This article was presented by Jun Ho Lee (lead author) at the 19th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Adult Congenital Heart Disease, January 14–15, 2017.
Received: 24 March 2019
Accepted: 07 May 2019
12 July 2019 (online)
© 2019. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Wang ZJ, Zou CW, Li DC. et al. Surgical repair of sinus of Valsalva aneurysm in Asian patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 84 (01) 156-160
- 2 Moustafa S, Mookadam F, Cooper L. et al. Sinus of Valsalva aneurysms--47 years of a single center experience and systematic overview of published reports. Am J Cardiol 2007; 99 (08) 1159-1164
- 3 Ott DA. Aneurysm of the sinus of valsalva. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 2006; 9 (01) 165-176
- 4 Hope J. A Treatise on the Diseases of the Heart and Great Vessels: and on the Affections Which May Be Mistaken for Them: Comprising the Author's View of the Physiology of the Heart's Actions and Sounds, as Demonstrated by His Experiments on the Motions and Sounds in 1830, and on the Sounds in 1834–35, 3rd ed. London: John Churchill; 1839
- 5 Lillehei CW, Stanley P, Varco RL. Surgical treatment of ruptured aneurysms of the sinus of Valsalva. Ann Surg 1957; 146 (03) 459-472
- 6 Ryomoto M, Mitsuno M, Nishi H, Fukui S, Miyamoto Y, Takanashi S. Surgical repair of a sinus of a Valsalva aneurysm ruptured into the left ventricle. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009; 57 (08) 426-429
- 7 Hiyamuta K, Ohtsuki T, Shimamatsu M. et al. Aneurysm of the left aortic sinus causing acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 1983; 67 (05) 1151-1154
- 8 Bashour TT, Chen F, Yap A, Mason DT, Baladi N. Fatal myocardial ischemia caused by compression of the left coronary system by a large left sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. Am Heart J 1996; 132 (05) 1050-1052
- 9 Goldberg N, Krasnow N. Sinus of Valsalva aneurysms. Clin Cardiol 1990; 13 (12) 831-836
- 10 Yacoub MH, Khan H, Stavri G, Shinebourne E, Radley-Smith R. Anatomic correction of the syndrome of prolapsing right coronary aortic cusp, dilatation of the sinus of Valsalva, and ventricular septal defect. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1997; 113 (02) 253-260 , discussion 261
- 11 Jung SH, Yun TJ, Im YM. et al. Ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm: transaortic repair may cause sinus of Valsalva distortion and aortic regurgitation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2008; 135 (05) 1153-1158
- 12 Murashita T, Kubota T, Kamikubo Y, Shiiya N, Yasuda K. Long-term results of aortic valve regurgitation after repair of ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 73 (05) 1466-1471
- 13 Dong C, Wu QY, Tang Y. Ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm: a Beijing experience. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 74 (05) 1621-1624
- 14 van Son JA, Danielson GK, Schaff HV, Orszulak TA, Edwards WD, Seward JB. Long-term outcome of surgical repair of ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. Circulation 1994; 90 (5 Pt 2): II20-II29
- 15 Takach TJ, Reul GJ, Duncan JM. et al. Sinus of Valsalva aneurysm or fistula: management and outcome. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 68 (05) 1573-1577
- 16 Chu SH, Hung CR, How SS. et al. Ruptured aneurysms of the sinus of Valsalva in Oriental patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1990; 99 (02) 288-298
- 17 Zikri MA, Stewart RW, Cosgrove DM. Surgical correction for sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 1999; 40 (06) 787-791
- 18 Carità P, Dendramis G, Novo G. et al. Bicuspid aortic valve and unruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm, a rare association. Int J Cardiol 2016; 202: 103-105
- 19 Luo X, Zhang D, Li B. et al. Surgical repair of a ruptured congenital sinus of Valsalva aneurysm: 10-year experience with 286 cases. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2019; 0: 1-8