Mid-Term Outcomes after Transapical and Transfemoral Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation for Aortic Stenosis and Porcelain Aorta with a Systematic Review of Transfemoral versus Transapical Approach
24 December 2018
14 May 2019
26 June 2019 (online)
Background We have aimed to analyze early and mid-term outcomes of patients undergoing transapical/transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TA-/TF-TAVI) for aortic stenosis and porcelain aorta (PAo) in our institution. Additionally, we postulated that the TA approach may be associated with a more favorable neurological outcome than the TF approach; hence, a systematic literature review was conducted.
Methods Between 2011 and 2017, 15 patients with PAo underwent TA-TAVI and 4 patients with PAo TF-TAVI at our institution. The assessment of PAo was done either intraoperatively after aborted sternotomy or via computed tomography for elective TAVI. We conducted mid-term follow-up. Furthermore, a systematic review was performed to compare the mortality and neurological outcomes of TF and TA-TAVI approaches.
Results TA/TF-TAVIs were performed with 100% device success, without paravalvular leakage ≥ 2 and without procedural death. The 30-day mortality/stroke rates were 6.6%/0% in TA-TAVI and 0%/25% in TF-TAVI, respectively. The 6-month, 1-year, and 2-year survival rates were in TA/TF-TAVI 93%/75%, 82%/66.6%, and 50%/0%, respectively.
The pooled results derived from the literature review were as follows: The prevalence of PAo in the TAVI population is 9.74%; the mean logistic EuroSCORE is 41.9% in TA-TAVI versus 16.2% in TF-TAVI; the mean 30-day mortality is 5.9% in TA-TAVI versus 6.3% in TF-TAVI, and the mean stroke is 0.8% in TA-TAVI versus 9% in TF-TAVI.
Conclusion TA-TAVI shows promising early and mid-term outcomes in patients with PAo. TF-TAVI performed in patients with PAo is likely to be associated with higher rates of stroke than TA-TAVI.
This study was presented at the annual meeting of the German Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Leipzig, February 20, 2018.
- 1 Gillinov AM, Lytle BW, Hoang V. , et al. The atherosclerotic aorta at aortic valve replacement: surgical strategies and results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 120 (05) 957-963
- 2 Castrodeza J, Amat-Santos IJ, Serra V. , et al. Therapeutic alternatives after aborted sternotomy at the time of surgical aortic valve replacement in the TAVI Era-Five centre experience and systematic review. Int J Cardiol 2016; 223: 1019-1024
- 3 Idrees J, Roselli EE, Raza S. , et al. Aborted sternotomy due to unexpected porcelain aorta: does transcatheter aortic valve replacement offer an alternative choice?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015; 149 (01) 131-134
- 4 Ramirez-Del Val F, Hirji SA, Yammine M. , et al. Effectiveness and safety of transcatheter aortic valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients with “Porcelain” aorta. Am J Cardiol 2018; 121 (01) 62-68
- 5 Van Mieghem NM, Van Der Boon RM. Porcelain aorta and severe aortic stenosis: is transcatheter aortic valve implantation the new standard?. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed) 2013; 66 (10) 765-767
- 6 Kempfert J, Van Linden A, Linke A. , et al. Transapical aortic valve implantation: therapy of choice for patients with aortic stenosis and porcelain aorta?. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 90 (05) 1457-1461
- 7 Baumgartner H, Falk V, Bax JJ. , et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC/EACTS guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease. Eur Heart J 2017; 38 (36) 2739-2791
- 8 Kappetein AP, Head SJ, Généreux P. , et al. Updated standardized endpoint definitions for transcatheter aortic valve implantation: the Valve Academic Research Consortium-2 consensus document. Eur Heart J 2012; 33 (19) 2403-2418
- 9 Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J. , et al. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration. BMJ 2009; 339: b2700
- 10 Wells G, Shea B, O'Connell D. , et al; Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses. Available from: http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp (accessed September 18, 2014)
- 11 Zahn R, Schiele R, Gerckens U. , et al; German Transcatheter Aortic Valve Interventions Registry Investigators. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in patients with “porcelain” aorta (from a Multicenter Real World Registry). Am J Cardiol 2013; 111 (04) 602-608
- 12 Buz S, Pasic M, Unbehaun A. , et al. Trans-apical aortic valve implantation in patients with severe calcification of the ascending aorta. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 40 (02) 463-468
- 13 Nakasu A, Greason KL, Nkomo VT. , et al. Transcatheter aortic valve insertion in patients with hostile ascending aorta calcification. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018; 156 (03) 1028-1034
- 14 Leon MB, Smith CR, Mack M. , et al; PARTNER Trial Investigators. Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients who cannot undergo surgery. N Engl J Med 2010; 363 (17) 1597-1607
- 15 Leon MB, Smith CR, Mack MJ. , et al; PARTNER 2 Investigators. Transcatheter or surgical aortic-valve replacement in intermediate-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2016; 374 (17) 1609-1620
- 16 Wendler O, Schymik G, Treede H. , et al. SOURCE 3: 1-year outcomes post-transcatheter aortic valve implantation using the latest generation of the balloon-expandable transcatheter heart valve. Eur Heart J 2017; 38 (36) 2717-2726
- 17 Ludman PF, Moat N, de Belder MA. , et al; UK TAVI Steering Committee and the National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in the United Kingdom: temporal trends, predictors of outcome, and 6-year follow-up: a report from the UK Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) Registry, 2007 to 2012. Circulation 2015; 131 (13) 1181-1190
- 18 Rodés-Cabau J, Webb JG, Cheung A. , et al. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation for the treatment of severe symptomatic aortic stenosis in patients at very high or prohibitive surgical risk: acute and late outcomes of the multicenter Canadian experience. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 55 (11) 1080-1090
- 19 Bosmans JM, Kefer J, De Bruyne B. , et al; Belgian TAVI Registry Participants. Procedural, 30-day and one year outcome following CoreValve or Edwards transcatheter aortic valve implantation: results of the Belgian national registry. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2011; 12 (05) 762-767
- 20 Gerckens U, Tamburino C, Bleiziffer S. , et al. Final 5-year clinical and echocardiographic results for treatment of severe aortic stenosis with a self-expanding bioprosthesis from the ADVANCE Study. Eur Heart J 2017; 38 (36) 2729-2738
- 21 D'Onofrio A, Rubino P, Fusari M. , et al; on behalf of the I-TA investigators. Impact of previous cardiac operations on patients undergoing transapical aortic valve implantation: results from the Italian Registry of Transapical Aortic Valve Implantation. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 42 (03) 480-485
- 22 Muñoz-García AJ, del Valle R, Trillo-Nouche R. , et al; Ibero-American registry investigators. The Ibero-American transcatheter aortic valve implantation registry with the CoreValve prosthesis. Early and long-term results. Int J Cardiol 2013; 169 (05) 359-365
- 23 Gilard M, Eltchaninoff H, Iung B. , et al; FRANCE 2 Investigators. Registry of transcatheter aortic-valve implantation in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2012; 366 (18) 1705-1715
- 24 Jochheim D, Zadrozny M, Ricard I. , et al. Predictors of cerebrovascular events at mid-term after transcatheter aortic valve implantation - results from EVERY-TAVI registry. Int J Cardiol 2017; 244: 106-111
- 25 Tay EL, Gurvitch R, Wijesinghe N. , et al. A high-risk period for cerebrovascular events exists after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2011; 4 (12) 1290-1297
- 26 Pagnesi M, Martino EA, Chiarito M. , et al. Silent cerebral injury after transcatheter aortic valve implantation and the preventive role of embolic protection devices: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol 2016; 221: 97-106
- 27 Abdel-Wahab M, Thiele H. Cerebral embolic protection during TAVI: prevent the unpreventable?. Eur Heart J 2019; 40 (17) 1340-1341
- 28 Rodés-Cabau J, Kahlert P, Neumann FJ. , et al. Feasibility and exploratory efficacy evaluation of the Embrella Embolic Deflector system for the prevention of cerebral emboli in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement: the PROTAVI-C pilot study. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2014; 7 (10) 1146-1155
- 29 Pascual I, Avanzas P, Muñoz-García AJ. , et al. Percutaneous implantation of the CoreValve® self-expanding valve prosthesis in patients with severe aortic stenosis and porcelain aorta: medium-term follow-up. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed) 2013; 66 (10) 775-781