Presentation of Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma with Fulminant Hepatic Failure: A Case Report
Received: 06 June 2019
Accepted after revision: 16 June 2019
22 August 2019 (online)
Fulminant hepatic failure as initial presentation due to diffuse parenchymal infiltration by cholangiocarcinoma is a rare entity. We present the case of a 49-year-old female patient who had a fatal outcome with acute liver failure due to diffuse intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. No definite mass lesion was identified on cross-sectional imaging. The final diagnosis was made on transjugular liver biopsy. This discussion highlights the possibility of infiltrative cholangiocarcinoma as a rare cause of fulminant hepatic failure.
- 1 Buettner S, van Vugt JL, IJzermans JN, Groot Koerkamp B. Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: current perspectives. Onco-Targets Ther 2017; 10: 1131-1142
- 2 Saha SK, Zhu AX, Fuchs CS, Brooks GA. Forty-year trends in cholangiocarcinoma incidence in the U.S.: intrahepatic disease on the rise. Oncologist 2016; 21 (05) 594-599
- 3 Athanasakis E, Mouloudi E, Prinianakis G, Kostaki M, Tzardi M, Georgopoulos D. Metastatic liver disease and fulminant hepatic failure: presentation of a case and review of the literature. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003; 15 (11) 1235-1240
- 4 Nazario HE, Lepe R, Trotter JF. Metastatic breast cancer presenting as acute liver failure. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y) 2011; 7 (01) 65-66
- 5 Hanamornroongruang S, Sangchay N. Acute liver failure associated with diffuse liver infiltration by metastatic breast carcinoma: a case report. Oncol Lett 2013; 5 (04) 1250-1252
- 6 Vakil A, Guru P, Reddy DR, Iyer V. Diffuse cholangiocarcinoma presenting with hepatic failure and extensive portal and mesenteric vein thrombosis. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 2015: bcr2014209171.
- 7 Bhati CS, Bhatt AN, Starkey G, Hubscher SG, Bramhall SR. Acute liver failure due to primary angiosarcoma: a case report and review of literature. World J Surg Oncol 2008; 6: 104
- 8 López R, Castro-Villabón D, Álvarez J, Vera A, Andrade R. Hepatic angiosarcoma presenting as acute liver failure in young adults. Report of two cases and review of literature. Case Reports in Clinical Medicine 2013; 2: 439-444