Fluorescence and Opalescence of Two Dental Composite Resins
31 December 2019 (online)
Objective Lifelike esthetic appearance of dental restorations is among the main goals in restorative dentistry. This study aimed to assess and compare the opalescence and fluorescence of two dental composite resins.
Materials and Methods This in vitro experimental study evaluated the A2 shade of Filtek Z350 XT Enamel, Filtek Z350 XT Dentin, Aelite Aesthetic Enamel, and Aelite All Purpose Body composite resins. Composite discs were fabricated with 10 mm diameter and 0.5 and 1 mm thicknesses (n = 2) using a plexiglass mold and subjected to colorimetry. The color parameters were determined according to the International Commission on Illumination (CIE) L*a*b* system using a spectrophotometer. The fluorescence and opalescence were also measured and reported separately for 0.5 and 1 mm thicknesses of Z350, Aelite Body, and Enamel composite resins. To determine the opalescence, the color of samples in the reflectance mode was measured using a calibration cylinder and in the transmittance mode in presence of 100% ultraviolet (UV) light. To determine the fluorescence, the color of samples against a white background in the reflectance mode in presence or absence of 100% UV light was measured.
Statistical Analysis Data were analyzed using SPSS via three-way analysis of variance and independent t-test.
Results The fluorescence of 0.5 mm thickness of all composites was higher than that of 1 mm thickness (p < 0.05). The fluorescence of Aelite was higher than that of Z350 (p < 0.05). The fluorescence of Aelite Enamel was higher than that of Aelite Body irrespective of their thickness, but the results were opposite for Z350 (p < 0.05). In Aelite composite, opalescence increased by an increase in thickness (p < 0.05). The opalescence of Aelite was significantly higher than that of Z350 (p < 0.05). The opalescence of 0.5 mm thickness of Aelite Enamel was higher than that of Aelite Body, while the opalescence of 1 mm thickness of Z350 Body was higher than that of Z350 Enamel (p < 0.05).
Conclusion Thickness, type, and brand of composite resins affected their fluorescence and opalescence.
- 1 Anusavice K. Phillips’ Science of Dental Materials. 11th edition.. St Louis, MO: Saunders; 2003: 6-47
- 2 Primus CM, Chu CC, Shelby JE, Buldrini E, Heckle CE. Opalescence of dental porcelain enamels. Quintessence Int 2002; 33 (06) 439-449
- 3 Nohl FS, Steele JG, Wassell RW. Crowns and other extra-coronal restorations: aesthetic control. Br Dent J 2002; 192 (08) 443-450, 445–450
- 4 Kobashigawa A, Angeletakis C. Opalescence Fillers for Dental Restorative Composite. Alexandria, Virginia: United States Patent and Trademark Office US Patent; 2001. (; 6). 232 367
- 5 Lee YK, Lu H, Powers JM. Measurement of opalescence of resin composites. Dent Mater 2005; 21 (11) 1068-1074
- 6 Lee YK, Yu B. Measurement of opalescence of tooth enamel. J Dent 2007; 35 (08) 690-694
- 7 Hafström-Björkman U, Sundström F, ten Bosch JJ. Fluorescence in dissolved fractions of human enamel. Acta Odontol Scand 1991; 49 (03) 133-138
- 8 Spitzer D, Bosch JJ. The total luminescence of bovine and human dental enamel. Calcif Tissue Res 1976; 20 (02) 201-208
- 9 McLaren EA. Luminescent veneers. J Esthet Dent 1997; 9 (01) 3-12
- 10 Lee YK, Lu H, Powers JM. Fluorescence of layered resin composites. J Esthet Restor Dent 2005; 17 (02) 93-100 discussion 101
- 11 Lee YK, Lu H, Powers JM. Changes in opalescence and fluorescence properties of resin composites after accelerated aging. Dent Mater 2006; 22 (07) 653-660
- 12 Lee YK. Opalescence of human teeth and dental esthetic restorative materials. Dent Mater J 2016; 35 (06) 845-854
- 13 Arimoto A, Nakajima M, Hosaka K. et al. Translucency, opalescence and light transmission characteristics of light-cured resin composites. Dent Mater 2010; 26 (11) 1090-1097
- 14 Lee YK, Powers JM. Influence of opalescence and fluorescence properties on the light transmittance of resin composite as a function of wavelength. Am J Dent 2006; 19 (05) 283-288
- 15 Lim YK, Lee YK, Lim BS, Rhee SH, Yang HC. Influence of filler distribution on the color parameters of experimental resin composites. Dent Mater 2008; 24 (01) 67-73
- 16 Lee YK. Influence of filler on the difference between the transmitted and reflected colors of experimental resin composites. Dent Mater 2008; 24 (09) 1243-1247
- 17 Azzopardi N, Moharamzadeh K, Wood DJ, Martin N, van Noort R. Effect of resin matrix composition on the translucency of experimental dental composite resins. Dent Mater 2009; 25 (12) 1564-1568
- 18 Arikawa H, Kanie T, Fujii K, Takahashi H, Ban S. Effect of filler properties in composite resins on light transmittance characteristics and color. Dent Mater J 2007; 26 (01) 38-44
- 19 Hashemikamangar SS, Pourhashemi SJ, Talebi M, Kiomarsi N, Kharazifard MJ. Effect of organic acids in dental biofilm on microhardness of a silorane-based composite. Restor Dent Endod 2015; 40 (03) 188-194
- 20 Yeh ST, Wang HT, Liao HY. et al. The roughness, microhardness, and surface analysis of nanocomposites after application of topical fluoride gels. Dent Mater 2011; 27 (02) 187-196
- 21 Tuncer S, Demirci M, Tiryaki M, Unlü N, Uysal Ö. The effect of a modeling resin and thermocycling on the surface hardness, roughness, and color of different resin composites. J Esthet Restor Dent 2013; 25 (06) 404-419
- 22 Renne WG. Commentary: effect of bleaching on staining susceptibility of resin composite restorative materials. J Esthet Restor Dent 2009; 21 (06) 415
- 23 Korkmaz Y, Ozel E, Attar N, Aksoy G. The influence of one-step polishing systems on the surface roughness and microhardness of nanocomposites. Oper Dent 2008; 33 (01) 44-50
- 24 Meller C, Klein C. Fluorescence of composite resins: a comparison among properties of commercial shades. Dent Mater J 2015; 34 (06) 754-765
- 25 McDonald R. Colour Physics for Industry. 2nd edition.. England: Staples Printers Rochester Ltd; 1997
- 26 Yu B, Lee YK. Difference in opalescence of restorative materials by the illuminant. Dent Mater 2009; 25 (08) 1014-1021
- 27 Berns Roy S, Saltzmans Billmeyer. Principles of Colour Technology. 3rd edition.. London: John Wiley and Sons Inc; January 1; 1967