Imaging Spectrum of Pediatric Nonspecific Aortoarteritis on CT Angiography: A Retrospective Study
11 October 2019 (online)
Introduction Takayasu’s arteritis, a chronic, idiopathic, inflammatory panarteritis, is the major cause of Aortoarteritis in pediatric age group. The purpose of this study is to analyze the patterns of involvement and imaging findings of pediatric Takayasu’s arteritis.
Materials and Methods We retrospectively reviewed the CT angiographic images of 11 pediatric cases reported as “Takayasu’s arteritis” or “nonspecific arteritis” over the period of last 3 years.
Results Mural thickening with luminal stenosis was the most common findings. Aneurysmal dilatation of the descending thoracic aorta was observed in one case. Vessel stenoses without mural thickening, thrombosis and collateral vessel formation were the other findings. Pattern of involvement ranged from variable involvement of thoracic and abdominal aorta and their branches.
Conclusion Awareness of its CT angiographic appearances and distribution pattern can help the clinicians and radiologists to have high index of suspicion in aiding early diagnosis and better management of this disease.
- 1 Restrepo CS, Ocazionez D, Suri R, Vargas D. Aortitis: imaging spectrum of the infectious and inflammatory conditions of the aorta. Radiographics 2011; 31 (02) 435-451
- 2 Kanitkar M. Renovascular hypertension. Indian Pediatr 2005; 42 (01) 47-54
- 3 Hata A, Noda M, Moriwaki R, Numano F. Angiographic findings of Takayasu arteritis: new classification . Int J Cardiol 1996; 54 (Suppl) S155-S163
- 4 Barto D, Bonta E, Ghiorghe S. Takayasu’s arteritis—an update. Cercetãri Experimentale & Medico-Chirurgicale Anul XIII. Nr3–4/2006 149-152
- 5 Paul JF, Fiessinger JN, Sapoval M. et al. Follow-up electron beam CT for the management of early phase Takayasu arteritis. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2001; 25 (06) 924-931
- 6 Sharma BK, Jain S, Suri S, Numano F. Diagnostic criteria for Takayasu arteritis. Int J Cardiol 1996; 54 (Suppl) S141-S147
- 7 Morales E, Pineda C, Martínez-Lavín M. Takayasu’s arteritis in children. J Rheumatol 1991; 18 (07) 1081-1084
- 8 Lee KS, Sohn EY, Hong CY, Kang SR, Berg K. Primary arteritis (Pulseless Disease) in Korean children. Acta Paediatr Scand 1967; 56 (05) 526-536
- 9 Aluquin VPR, Albano SA, Chan F, Sandborg C, Pitlick PT. Magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis and follow up of Takayasu’s arteritis in children. Ann Rheum Dis 2002; 61 (06) 526-529
- 10 Akazawa H, Ikeda U, Yamamoto K, Kuroda T, Shimada K. Hypercoagulable state in patients with Takayasu’s arteritis. Thromb Haemost 1996; 75 (05) 712-716
- 11 Kim SY, Park JH, Chung JW. et al. Follow-up CT evaluation of the mural changes in active Takayasu arteritis. Korean J Radiol 2007; 8 (04) 286-294
- 12 Lupi-Herrera E, Sánchez-Torres G, Marcushamer J, Mispireta J, Horwitz S, Vela JE. Takayasu’s arteritis. Clinical study of 107 cases. Am Heart J 1977; 93 (01) 94-103
- 13 Zhu FP, Luo S, Wang ZJ, Jin ZY, Zhang LJ, Lu GM. Takayasu arteritis: imaging spectrum at multidetector CT angiography. Br J Radiol 2012; 85 (1020) e1282-e1292
- 14 Mason JC. Takayasu arteritis—advances in diagnosis and management. Nat Rev Rheumatol 2010; 6 (07) 406-415
- 15 Kim DY, Kim HW. Atypical initial presentation of Takayasu arteritis as isolated supra-valvular aortic stenosis . J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 11: 15
- 16 Ishikawa K. Natural history and classification of occlusive thromboaortopathy (Takayasu’s disease) . Circulation 1978; 57 (01) 27-35
- 17 Huang Y, Ye Z, Zheng Z. et al. Superior mesenteric artery thrombosis of Takayasu arteritis: a case report and review of the literatures . J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 66 (Suppl. 16) C247
- 18 Babu SNM, Chacko S, Irodi A, Joseph E, Joseph G. Winslow pathway collaterals in Takayasu arteritis with middle aortic syndrome. IHJ Cardiovasc Case Rep 2019; 3: 39-43
- 19 Ando H, Funabashi N, Uehara M. et al. Abnormal collateral arterial systems in Takayasu’s arteritis and Leriche’s syndrome evaluated by whole body acquisition using multislice computed tomography. Int J Cardiol 2007; 121 (03) 306-308
- 20 Thokchom NS, Sangma KA, Hafi Bishurul NA, Verma K. Pyoderma Gangrenosum with Takayasu’s arteritis: a rare association. J Med Soc 2018; 32 (03) 231-233
- 21 Tanna D, Mendiratta N, Negalur N. An unusual case of Takayasu arteritis presenting as leptomeningitis with obstructive hydrocephalus. Rheumatol Adv Pract 2018; 2 (Suppl. 01) rky033.001
- 22 Edwards SL, Baker V, Boswell GE, Butts MS. A rare case of Takayasu arteritis with intracranial involvement, aortic valvulitis, and giant cell aortitis . J Clin Rheumatol 2018; DOI: 10.1097/RHU.0000000000000960.
- 23 Choe YH, Han BK, Koh EM, Kim DK, Do YS, Lee WR. Takayasu’s arteritis: assessment of disease activity with contrast-enhanced MR imaging. Am J Roentgenol 2000; 175 (02) 505-511