Subscribe to RSS
The Effect of the Pre-Conditioning Step on the Shear Bond Strength of Nano-Filled Resin-Modified Glass-Ionomer to Dentin
30 September 2019 (online)
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of the pre-conditioning step using different dentin conditioners on the shear bond strength (SBS) of the nano-filled resin-modified glass ionomer (RMGI) to dentin. Methods: Twenty-four human molars were used in this study. Subsequent to teeth sectioning in the mesio-distal direction and creation of the smear layer, the teeth were divided into six groups with and without the pre-conditioning step. Dentin surfaces were restored with RMGI cylinders and the specimens were stored in distilled water at 37ºC for 24 hours. SBS test were performed using a Universal Testing Machine at a crosshead speed of 0.5 mm/minute. Statistical analysis was performed using One-Way ANOVA followed by Duncan’s Multiple Range Test. RMGI/dentin interface was evaluated using SEM operated at 12 Kv at 2000X magnification. Results: 35% phosphoric acid and EDTA yielded significantly higher SBS (12.0±1.8 and 11.9±4.4 MPa, respectively), compared to all tested groups. In addition, 25% polyacrylic acid (8.6±3.1 MPa) reported significantly higher SBS than the nano-filled RMGI when applied according to manufacturer instructions (5.5±2.2 MPa). When nano-filled RMGI was applied without its nano-primer, or directly over 25% polyacrylic acid conditioned dentin exhibited 100% pre-test failure, and their SBS were expressed as 0.0±0.0 MPa. SEM revealed that the nano-primer was unable to decalcify and hybridize the dentin surface. Conclusions: Based on the results of the current study, the pre-conditioning step effectively improves the SBS of nano-filled RMGI to dentin. The self-adhesiveness of nano-filled RMGI was not proved in this study. (Eur J Dent 2011;5:150-156)
- 1 Inoue S, Van Meerbeek B, Abe Y, Yoshida Y, Lambrechts P, Vanherle G, Sano H. Effect of remaining dentin thickness and the use of conditioner on microtensile bond strength of a glass-ionomer adhesive. Dent Mater 2001;17:445-455.
- 2 Nicholson J, Czarnecka B. The biocompatibility of resinmodified glass-ionomer cements for dentistry. Dent Mater 2008;24:1702-1708 3. Coutinho E, Cardoso MV, De Munck J, Neves AA, Van Landuyt KL, Poitevin A Kuboki T, Yoshida Y, Suzuki K, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Bonding effectiveness and interfacial characterization of a nano-filled resin-modified glass-ionomer. Dent Mater 2009;25:1347-1357.
- 4 Peumans M, Kanumilli P, De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Clinical effectiveness of contemporary adhesives: A systematic review of current clinical trials. Dent Mater 2005;21:864-881.
- 5 Saito S, Tosaki S, Hirota K, Characteristics of glass-ionomer cement. In: Davidson CL and Mjör IA. Advances in glass ionomer cements. Berlin: Quintessence 1999; p.15-50.
- 6 Mazzaoui S, Burrow M, Tyas M. Fluoride release from glass ionomer cements and resin composites coated with a dentin adhesive. Dent Mater 2000;16:166-170.
- 7 Abdalla AI. Morphological interface between hybrid ionomers and dentin with and without smear-layer removal. J Oral Rehabil 2000;9:808–814.
- 8 Lin A, McIntyre N, Davidson R. Studies on the adhesion of glass ionomer cements to dentin. J Dent Res 1992;71:1836– 1841.
- 9 Yoshida Y, Van Meerbeek B, Nakayama Y, Yoshioka Y, Snauwaert J, Ade Y, Lambrechts P, Vanherle G, Okazaki M. Adhesion to and decalcification of hydroxyapatite by carboxylic acids. J Dent Res 2001;80:1565-1569.
- 10 Jacques P, Hebling J. Effect of dentin conditioners on the microtensile bond strength of a conventional and a selfetching primer adhesive system. Dent Mater 2005;21:103-109.
- 11 Miyasaka K, Nakabayashi N. Combination of EDTA conditioner and Phenyl-P/HEMA self-etching primer for bonding to dentin. Dent Mater 1999;15:135-157.
- 12 El-Askary S, Nassif M, Fawzy A. Shear bond strength of glass ionomer adhesive to dentin. Effect of smear layer thickness and different dentin conditioners. J Adhes Dent 2008;10:471-479.
- 13 Nakajo K, Imazato S, Takahashi Y, Kiba W, Ebisu S, Takahashi N. Fluoride released from glass-ionomer cement is responsible to inhibit the acid production of caries-related oral streptococci. Dent Mater 2009;25:703-708.
- 14 Toledano M, Osorio E, Osorio R, García-Godoy F. Microleakage of Class V resin-modified glass ionomer and compomer restorations. J Prosth Dent 1999;81:610-618.
- 15 Xie D, Wu W, Puckett A, Farmer B, Mays J. Novel resin modified glass-ionomer cements with improved flexural strength and ease of handling. Europ Polymer J 2004;40:343–351.
- 16 Della Bona A, van Noort R. Shear vs. tensile bond strength of resin composite bonded to ceramic. J Dent Res 1995;74:1591-1596.
- 17 Van Meerbeek B, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Mine A, Van Ende A, Neves A, De Munck J. Relationship between bond-strength tests and clinical outcomes. Dent Mater 2010;26:e100–e121.
- 18 Watson T. Bonding of glass-ionomer cements to tooth structure. In: Davidson Cl and Mjör IA. Advances in glass ionomer cements. Berlin: Quintessence 1999; p.121-136.
- 19 De Munck J, Van Meerbeek B, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Susuki K, Lambrechts P. Four years water degradation of resinmodified glass-ionomer adhesive bonded to dentin. Eur J Oral Sci 2004;112:73-83.
- 20 Kenshima S, Francci C, Reis A, Loguercio A, Filho L. Conditioning effect of dentin, resin tags and hybrid layer of different acidity self-etching adhesives applied to thick and thin smear layer. J Dent 2006;34:775-783.
- 21 Kenshima S, Reis A, Uceda-Gomaz N, Tancredo L, Filho L, Nogueira F, Loguercio A. Effect of smear layer thickness and pH of self-etching adhesive systems on the bond strength and gap formation to dentin. J Adhes Dent 2005;7:117-126.
- 22 Fagundes T, Toledano M, Navarro M, Osorio R. Resistance to degradation of resin-modified glass-ionomer cements dentine bonds. J Dent 2009;37:342-347.
- 23 De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Lambrechts P, Braem M, Van Meerbeek B. A critical review of the durability of adhesion to tooth tissue: Methods and results. J Dent Res 2005;84:118-132.
- 24 Saber S, El-Askary F. The outcome of immediate or delayed application of a single-step self-etch adhesive to coronal dentin following the application of different endodontic irrigants. Eur J Dent 2009;3:83-89.