Concomitant Tricuspid Valve Repair during Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair
Background Concomitant use of tricuspid valve (TV) surgery and minimally invasive mitral valve (MV) repair is debatable due to a prolonged time of surgery with presumably elevated operative risk. Herein, we examined cardiopulmonary bypass times and 30-day mortality in patients who underwent MV repair with and without concomitant TV surgery.
Methods We retrospectively evaluated 3,962 patients with MV regurgitation who underwent minimally invasive MV repair without (n = 3,463; MVr group) and with (n = 499; MVr + TVr group) concomitant TV surgery between 1999 and 2014. Preoperative parameters between the groups were significantly different; therefore, propensity score matching was performed.
Results Mean cardiopulmonary bypass time for all patients was 125.5 ± 55.8 minutes in MVr and 162.0 ± 58.0 minutes in MVr + TVr (p < 0.001). Overall 30-day mortality was significantly different between these groups (4.8 vs. 2.1%; p < 0.001); however, after adjustment, there was no significant difference (3.3 vs. 1.2%; p = 0.07). Backward logistic regression revealed that cardiopulmonary bypass time was not a significant predictor for early mortality within the MVr + TVr cohort.
Conclusion Concomitant TV repair using prosthetic rings through a minimally invasive approach is safe and does not lead to elevated early mortality in our patient cohort. Therefore, prolonged cardiopulmonary bypass time should not be the sole reason to rule out MV repair with concomitant TV repair and to prefer the use of suture techniques, which saves only a few minutes compared with prosthetic ring implantation.
Received: 16 March 2019
Accepted: 09 September 2019
31 December 2019 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Falk V, Baumgartner H, Bax JJ. , et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC/EACTS Guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2017; 52 (04) 616-664
- 2 Tchantchaleishvili V, Rajab TK, Cohn LH. Posterior suture annuloplasty for functional tricuspid regurgitation. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2017; 6 (03) 262-265
- 3 Vahanian A, Alfieri O, Andreotti F. , et al; Joint Task Force on the Management of Valvular Heart Disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Guidelines on the management of valvular heart disease (version 2012): the Joint Task Force on the Management of Valvular Heart Disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). G Ital Cardiol (Rome) 2013; 14 (03) 167-214
- 4 Kuntze T, Borger MA, Falk V. , et al. Early and mid-term results of mitral valve repair using premeasured Gore-Tex loops (‘loop technique’). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 33 (04) 566-572
- 5 Seeburger J, Borger MA, Falk V. , et al. Minimal invasive mitral valve repair for mitral regurgitation: results of 1339 consecutive patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 34 (04) 760-765
- 6 Seeburger J, Borger MA, Passage J. , et al. Minimally invasive isolated tricuspid valve surgery. J Heart Valve Dis 2010; 19 (02) 189-192 , discussion 193
- 7 Mohr FW, Falk V, Diegeler A, Walther T, van Son JA, Autschbach R. Minimally invasive port-access mitral valve surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1998; 115 (03) 567-574 , discussion 574–576
- 8 Pfannmüller B, Davierwala P, Misfeld M, Borger MA, Garbade J, Mohr FW. Postoperative outcome of isolated tricuspid valve operation using arrested-heart or beating-heart technique. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94 (04) 1218-1222
- 9 Dreyfus GD, Corbi PJ, Chan KM, Bahrami T. Secondary tricuspid regurgitation or dilatation: which should be the criteria for surgical repair?. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 79 (01) 127-132
- 10 Van de Veire NR, Braun J, Delgado V. , et al. Tricuspid annuloplasty prevents right ventricular dilatation and progression of tricuspid regurgitation in patients with tricuspid annular dilatation undergoing mitral valve repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011; 141 (06) 1431-1439
- 11 Chikwe J, Anyanwu AC. Surgical strategies for functional tricuspid regurgitation. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 22 (01) 90-96
- 12 Pfannmueller B, Verevkin A, Borger MA. , et al. Role of tricuspid valve repair for moderate tricuspid regurgitation during minimally invasive mitral valve surgery. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 61 (05) 386-391
- 13 McCarthy PM, Bhudia SK, Rajeswaran J. , et al. Tricuspid valve repair: durability and risk factors for failure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2004; 127 (03) 674-685
- 14 Navia JL, Nowicki ER, Blackstone EH. , et al. Surgical management of secondary tricuspid valve regurgitation: annulus, commissure, or leaflet procedure?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 139 (06) 1473-1482.e5