Implications of Metabolically Healthy Obesity—Ganesha Speaks
The cherubic elephant God Ganesha, a favorite of millions of Hindu devotees, sports a round belly. Humans who have a round belly would be classified as obese. Is all obesity unhealthy? What is metabolically healthy obesity? Different definitions and criteria make the discussion of metabolically healthy obesity difficult and challenging.
Received: 07 October 2019
Accepted after revision: 24 October 2019
30 March 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Shrivastava U, Misra A, Mohan V, Unnikrishnan R, Bachani D. Obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases in India: public health challenges. Curr Diabetes Rev 2017; 13 (01) 65-80
- 2 Kim SH, Després J-P, Koh KK. Obesity and cardiovascular disease: friend or foe?. Eur Heart J 2016; 37 (48) 3560-3568
- 3 Velho S, Paccaud F, Waeber G, Vollenweider P, Marques-Vidal P. Metabolically healthy obesity: different prevalences using different criteria. Eur J Clin Nutr 2010; 64 (10) 1043-1051
- 4 Jung CH, Lee WJ, Song K-H. Metabolically healthy obesity: a friend or foe?. Korean J Intern Med (Korean Assoc Intern Med) 2017; 32 (04) 611-621
- 5 Khan UI, Wang D, Thurston RC. et al. Burden of subclinical cardiovascular disease in “metabolically benign” and “at-risk” overweight and obese women: the Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation (SWAN). Atherosclerosis 2011; 217 (01) 179-186
- 6 Marini MA, Succurro E, Frontoni S. et al. Metabolically healthy but obese women have an intermediate cardiovascular risk profile between healthy nonobese women and obese insulin-resistant women. Diabetes Care 2007; 30 (08) 2145-2147
- 7 Yoo HJ, Kim S, Hwang SY. et al. Vascular inflammation in metabolically abnormal but normal-weight and metabolically healthy obese individuals analyzed with 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Am J Cardiol 2015; 115 (04) 523-528
- 8 Obesity and overweight. [cited 2019 Oct 2]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/factsheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight