Predictors of Acute Kidney Injury Following Surgical Valve Replacement
19 August 2019
06 March 2020
25 July 2020 (online)
Background Acute kidney injury is a serious complication after surgical valve replacement and holds increased mortality rates.
Objectives To study predictors of acute kidney injury after surgical valve replacement.
Materials and Methods Patients who underwent valve surgery procedures at our center were included. Procedures included aortic valve replacement (AVR), mitral valve replacement (MVR), AVR with coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), MVR with CABG, or AVR and MVR with/without CABG.
Results A total of 346 patients were included. The mean age was 51.56 (16.1). Males (n = 178) comprised 51%.
At the univariate level analysis, predictors of acute kidney injury were found including age, ejection fraction, hypertension, history of CAD, emergency surgery, recent myocardial infarction, diabetes, atrial fibrillation, history of heart failure, mitral regurgitation (MR), pump time >120 minutes, aortic cross clamp >90 minutes, perioperative blood transfusion, re-exploration for bleeding, use of mechanical and biologic valve in aortic position, use of biologic valve in mitral position, prolonged inotropic support, postoperative stroke, and use of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEi) < a month, (all p < 0.05).
By Logistic regression analysis, Age (p < 0.0001, odds ratio[AOR] = 1.076), hypertension (p = 0.039, AOR = 1.829), heart failure (p = 0.019, AOR = 2.448), MR (p = 0.0001, AOR = 3.110), use of ACEi <month (p = 0.043, AOR= 2.181), pump time >120 minutes (p = 0.022, AOR = 1.797), perioperative blood transfusion (p = 0.008, AOR = 2.532), and prolonged inotropic support (p = 0.012, AOR = 2.591) were significant and independent predictors of AKI.
Conclusion Independent predictors of acute kidney injury following valve surgeries include age, hypertension, heart failure, MR, use of ACEi <month, perioperative blood transfusion, and prolonged pump time or inotropic support.
- 1 Hobson CE, Yavas S, Segal MS. , et al. Acute kidney injury is associated with increased long-term mortality after cardiothoracic surgery. Circulation 2009; 119 (18) 2444-2453
- 2 Parolari A, Pesce LL, Pacini D. , et al; Monzino Research Group on Cardiac Surgery Outcomes. Risk factors for perioperative acute kidney injury after adult cardiac surgery: role of perioperative management. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 93 (02) 584-591
- 3 Bellomo R, Ronco C, Kellum JA, Mehta RL, Palevsky P. ; Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative workgroup. Acute renal failure - definition, outcome measures, animal models, fluid therapy and information technology needs: the Second International Consensus Conference of the Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative (ADQI) Group. Crit Care 2004; 8 (04) R204-R212
- 4 Mehta RL, Kellum JA, Shah SV. , et al; Acute Kidney Injury Network. Acute Kidney Injury Network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury. Crit Care 2007; 11 (02) R31
- 5 Wang AY, Akizawa T, Bavanandan S. , et al. 2017 Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD) Guideline Update Implementation: Asia Summit Conference Report. Kidney Int Rep 2019; 4 (11) 1523-1537
- 6 Thakar CV, Worley S, Arrigain S, Yared JP, Paganini EP. Influence of renal dysfunction on mortality after cardiac surgery: modifying effect of preoperative renal function. Kidney Int 2005; 67 (03) 1112-1119
- 7 Grayson AD, Khater M, Jackson M, Fox MA. Valvular heart operation is an independent risk factor for acute renal failure. Ann Thorac Surg 2003; 75 (06) 1829-1835 [PubMed: 12822624]
- 8 Brown JR, Kramer RS, Coca SG, Parikh CR. Duration of acute kidney injury impacts long-term survival after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 90 (04) 1142-1148
- 9 Elhmidi Y, Bleiziffer S, Deutsch MA. , et al. Acute kidney injury after transcatheter aortic valve implantation: incidence, predictors and impact on mortality. Arch Cardiovasc Dis 2014; 107 (02) 133-139
- 10 O'Connor GT, Plume SK, Olmstead EM. , et al; The Northern New England Cardiovascular Disease Study Group. A regional prospective study of in-hospital mortality associated with coronary artery bypass grafting. JAMA 1991; 266 (06) 803-809
- 11 Thakar CV, Liangos O, Yared JP. , et al. ARF after open-heart surgery: Influence of gender and race. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 41 (04) 742-751
- 12 Dasta JF, Kane-Gill SL, Durtschi AJ, Pathak DS, Kellum JA. Costs and outcomes of acute kidney injury (AKI) following cardiac surgery. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008; 23 (06) 1970-19734
- 13 Lassnigg A, Schmidlin D, Mouhieddine M. , et al. Minimal changes of serum creatinine predict prognosis in patients after cardiothoracic surgery: a prospective cohort study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004; 15 (06) 1597-1605
- 14 Lok CE, Austin PC, Wang H, Tu JV. Impact of renal insufficiency on short- and long-term outcomes after cardiac surgery. Am Heart J 2004; 148 (03) 430-438
- 15 Lazar HL. The use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Vascul Pharmacol 2005; 42 (03) 119-123
- 16 Devbhandari MP, Balasubramanian SK, Codispoti M, Nzewi OC, Prasad SU. Preoperative angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition can cause severe post CPB vasodilation--current UK opinion. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2004; 12 (04) 346-349
- 17 Kwapisz MM, Müller M, Schindler E. , et al. The effect of intravenous quinaprilat on plasma cytokines and hemodynamic variables during cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2004; 18 (01) 53-58
- 18 Rodrigues AJ, Evora PR, Bassetto S. , et al. Risk factors for acute renal failure after heart surgery. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 2009; 24 (04) 441-446
- 19 Ibrahim K, Kherallah K, AlWaqfi N, Mayyas F, Abdallat S, Alawami M. Predictors of acute kidney injury after coronary artery surgery in Jordanians. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2015; 23 (06) 684-689
- 20 Chertow GM, Levy EM, Hammermeister KE, Grover F, Daley J. Independent association between acute renal failure and mortality following cardiac surgery. Am J Med 1998; 104 (04) 343-348
- 21 Conlon PJ, Stafford-Smith M, White WD. , et al. Acute renal failure following cardiac surgery. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999; 14 (05) 1158-1162
- 22 D'Onofrio A, Cruz D, Bolgan I. , et al. RIFLE criteria for cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury: risk factors and outcomes. Congest Heart Fail 2010; 16 (Suppl. 01) S32-S36
- 23 Bove T, Calabrò MG, Landoni G. , et al. The incidence and risk of acute renal failure after cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2004; 18 (04) 442-445
- 24 Chivasso P, Bruno VD, Farid S. , et al. Predictors of survival in octogenarians after mitral valve surgery for degenerative disease: The Mitral Surgery in Octogenarians study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018; 155 (04) 1474-1482.e2
- 25 Kappetein AP, Head SJ, Généreux P. , et al; Valve Academic Research Consortium (VARC)-2. Updated standardized endpoint definitions for transcatheter aortic valve implantation: the Valve Academic Research Consortium-2 consensus document (VARC-2). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 42 (05) S45-S60 Key update for the definition of end points following TAVR, including complications such as AKI
- 26 Karkouti K, Wijeysundera DN, Yau TM. , et al. Acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: focus on modifiable risk factors. Circulation 2009; 119 (04) 495-502
- 27 Najjar M, Salna M, George I. Acute kidney injury after aortic valve replacement: incidence, risk factors and outcomes. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2015; 13 (03) 301-316
- 28 McCullough PA, Wolyn R, Rocher LL, Levin RN, O'Neill WW. Acute renal failure after coronary intervention: incidence, risk factors, and relationship to mortality. Am J Med 1997; 103 (05) 368-375
- 29 Ng SY, Sanagou M, Wolfe R, Cochrane A, Smith JA, Reid CM. Prediction of acute kidney injury within 30 days of cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 147 (06) 1875-1883 , 1883.e1
- 30 Chen LW, Chen J, Zheng JN. , et al. Prediction of Short-Term Mortality after Valve Surgery: A Single Center's Perspective. Chin Med J (Engl) 2018; 131 (20) 2499-2502
- 31 Yamauchi T, Miyagawa S, Yoshikawa Y, Toda K, Sawa Y. ; Osaka Cardiovascular Surgery Research (OSCAR) Group. Risk Index for Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury After Valvular Surgery Using Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Ann Thorac Surg 2017; 104 (03) 868-875
- 32 Boldt J, Brenner T, Lehmann A, Suttner SW, Kumle B, Isgro F. Is kidney function altered by the duration of cardiopulmonary bypass?. Ann Thorac Surg 2003; 75 (03) 906-912
- 33 Santos FO, Silveira MA, Maia RB, Monteiro MD, Martinelli R. Acute renal failure after coronary artery bypass surgery with extracorporeal circulation -- incidence, risk factors, and mortality. Arq Bras Cardiol 2004; 83 (02) 150-154 , 145–149
- 34 Gamoso MG, Phillips-Bute B, Landolfo KP, Newman MF, Stafford-Smith M. Off-pump versus on-pump coronary artery bypass surgery and postoperative renal dysfunction. Anesth Analg 2000; 91 (05) 1080-1084
- 35 Baker RC, Armstrong MA, Allen SJ, McBride WT. Role of the kidney in perioperative inflammatory responses. Br J Anaesth 2002; 88 (03) 330-334
- 36 Gormley SM, McBride WT, Armstrong MA. , et al. Plasma and urinary cytokine homeostasis and renal dysfunction during cardiac surgery. Anesthesiology 2000; 93 (05) 1210-1216 , discussion 5A
- 37 Sear JW. Kidney dysfunction in the postoperative period. Br J Anaesth 2005; 95 (01) 20-32
- 38 Radaelli G, Bodanese LC, Guaragna JC. , et al. The use of inhibitors of angiotensin-converting enzyme and its relation to events in the postoperative period of CABG. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 2011; 26 (03) 373-379
- 39 Harty J. Prevention and management of acute kidney injury. Ulster Med J 2014; 83 (03) 149-157
- 40 Benedetto U, Sciarretta S, Roscitano A. , et al. Preoperative Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and acute kidney injury after coronary artery bypass grafting. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 86 (04) 1160-1165
- 41 Zhang Y, Ma L. Effect of preoperative angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor on the outcome of coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2015; 47 (05) 788-795
- 42 Yacoub R, Patel N, Lohr JW, Rajagopalan S, Nader N, Arora P. Acute kidney injury and death associated with renin angiotensin system blockade in cardiothoracic surgery: a meta-analysis of observational studies. Am J Kidney Dis 2013; 62 (06) 1077-1086
- 43 Arora P, Rajagopalam S, Ranjan R. , et al. Preoperative use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors/angiotensin receptor blockers is associated with increased risk for acute kidney injury after cardiovascular surgery. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008; 3 (05) 1266-1273
- 44 Barbash IM, Ben-Dor I, Dvir D. , et al. Incidence and predictors of acute kidney injury after transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Am Heart J 2012; 163 (06) 1031-1036