Outcomes of Pulmonary Endarterectomy Operation Concomitant with Cardiac ProceduresFunding None.
Background The aim of this study was to analyze the results of pulmonary endarterectomy (PEA) performed simultaneously with additional cardiac procedures in a single tertiary-level center.
Methods Data of patients who underwent PEA with additional cardiac procedures for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH) in our clinic were retrospectively reviewed using patient records.
Results Between March 2011 and April 2019, 56 patients underwent PEA with additional cardiac surgery. The most common additional procedure was coronary artery bypass grafting (21 patients; 38%). The median intensive care unit and hospital stays were 4 (3–6) days and 10 (8–14) days. Mortality was recorded in six patients (11%). In multivariate analysis, only preoperative pulmonary vascular resistance (PVR) (p = 0.02; odds ratio [OR]: 1.003) and cardiopulmonary bypass duration (p = 0.02; OR: 1.028) were associated with mortality. When the cutoff value of 1000 dyn.s.cm−5 was taken in the receiver operating characteristic curve analysis, preoperative PVR predicted mortality with 83% sensitivity and 94% specificity (area under curve = 0.89; p < 0.01).
Conclusion PEA for CTEPH may be performed safely with other cardiac operations. This type of surgery is a complex procedure that should be performed only in expert centers. Patients with high preoperative PVR are at increased risk of perioperative complications.
Keywordscardiac - coronary artery bypass grafting - CABG - pulmonary vascular resistance/hypertension - cardiopulmonary bypass - CPB
Study conception and design: Hasan Erdem, Oktay Korun, Bedrettin Yildizeli.
Acquisition of data: Hasan Erdem, Oktay Korun, Mehmed Yanartaş, Serpil Taş, Benay Erden, Onur Yerlikhan, Atakan Erkilinç, Cihangir Kaymaz, Hasan Sunar, Bedrettin Yildizeli.
Analysis and interpretation of data: Oktay Korun, Bedrettin Yildizeli.
Drafting of manuscript: Hasan Erdem, Oktay Korun, Bedrettin Yildizeli.
Critical revision: Hasan Erdem, Oktay Korun, Mehmed Yanartaş, Serpil Taş, Benay Erden, Onur Yerlikhan, Atakan Erkilinç, Cihangir Kaymaz, Hasan Sunar, Bedrettin Yildizeli.
Herewith we all declare that we agree to all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Received: 07 January 2020
Accepted: 06 April 2020
01 August 2020 (online)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Galiè N, Humbert M, Vachiery J-L. et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2015 ESC/ERS Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension: The Joint Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS): Endorsed by: Association for European Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology (AEPC), International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT). Eur Heart J 2016; 37 (01) 67-119
- 2 Delcroix M, Lang I, Pepke-Zaba J. et al. Long-term outcome of patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: results from an International Prospective Registry. Circulation 2016; 133 (09) 859-871
- 3 Thistlethwaite PA, Auger WR, Madani MM, Pradhan S, Kapelanski DP, Jamieson SW. Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy combined with other cardiac operations: indications, surgical approach, and outcome. Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 72 (01) 13-17 , discussion 17–19
- 4 Simonneau G, Montani D, Celermajer DS. et al. Haemodynamic definitions and updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension. Eur Respir J 2019; 53 (01) 1801913
- 5 Kim NH, Delcroix M, Jais X. et al. Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Eur Respir J 2019; 53 (01) 1801915
- 6 Yıldızeli B, Taş S, Yanartaş M. et al. Pulmonary endarterectomy for chronic thrombo-embolic pulmonary hypertension: an institutional experience. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 44 (03) e219 –e227, discussion e227
- 7 López Gude MJ, Pérez de la Sota E, Pérez Vela JL. et al. Pulmonary endarterectomy outputs in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Med Clin (Barc) 2017; 149 (01) 1-8
- 8 Ishida K, Masuda M, Tanabe N, Matsumiya G, Tatsumi K, Nakajima N. Long-term outcome after pulmonary endarterectomy for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 144 (02) 321-326
- 9 Tromeur C, Jaïs X, Mercier O. et al. Factors predicting outcome after pulmonary endarterectomy. PLoS One 2018; 13 (06) e0198198
- 10 Mejía OAV, Lisboa LAF, Tiveron MG. et al. Coronary artery bypass grafting in acute myocardial infarction: analysis of predictors of in-hospital mortality. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 2012; 27 (01) 66-74