Surgical Decision-Making in Multivalvular Heart Disease: A Holistic Approach
Patients with multivalvular heart disease often presents a unique challenge with regard to the intraoperative decision-making in the form of choosing between a satisfactory valvular repair or a more definitive valve replacement. We describe a patient with multivalve involvement on antiretroviral therapy. Discussion presents a nuanced perspective on surgical decision-making in multi-valvular heart disease, wherein an effective communication between the surgeon and the echocardiographer is required for ensuring favorable postoperative outcomes.
Keywordsantiretroviral therapy - multivalvular disease - repair versus replacement - anticoagulation
28 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Hamamoto M, Bando K, Kobayashi J. et al. Durability and outcome of aortic valve replacement with mitral valve repair versus double valve replacement. Ann Thorac Surg 2003; 75 (01) 28-33, discussion 33–34
- 2 Kim GS, Kim JB, Han S. et al. Mitral valve repair versus replacement for moderate-to-severe mitral regurgitation in patients undergoing concomitant aortic valve replacement. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2014; 18 (01) 73-79
- 3 Vohra HA, Whistance RN, Hechadi J. et al. Long-term outcomes of concomitant aortic and mitral valve repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 148 (02) 454-460
- 4 McGonigle NC, Jones JM, Sidhu P. Macgowan SW Concomitant mitral valve surgery with aortic valve replacement: a 21-year experience with a single mechanical prosthesis. J Cardiothorac Surg 2007; 2-24
- 5 Nishimura RA, Otto CM, Bonow RO. et al. 2017 AHA/ACC Focused Update of the 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017; 70 (02) 252-289
- 6 Liedtke MD, Rathbun RC. Warfarin-antiretroviral interactions. Ann Pharmacother 2009; 43 (02) 322-328
- 7 Anderson AM, Chane T, Patel M, Chen S, Xue W, Easley KA. Warfarin therapy in the HIV medical home model: low rates of therapeutic anticoagulation despite adherence and differences in dosing based on specific antiretrovirals. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2012; 26 (08) 454-462