Penza's Surgical Maneuver: A Key to Tackle Complex Proximal Descending Thoracic Aortic Infectious or Malignant IssuesFunding None.
We performed off-pump ascending-to-descending aortic grafting with the debranching of left carotid and subclavian arteries and total aortic arch transection in three patients. We have called this technique “Penza's Surgical Maneuver” and propose it for a safe surgery in cases where the aortic arch, the aortic isthmus, the beginning segment of the descending aorta, the esophagus, and a lung are diseased.
Keywordsthoracic aorta - cardiopulmonary bypass - vascular surgical procedure - esophagoplasty - thoracic malignancies
Received: 21 June 2018
Accepted: 24 May 2020
05 November 2020 (online)
© 2020. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Thieme Medical Publishers
333 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, USA.
- 1 Lang G, Taghavi S, Aigner C. et al. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support for resection of locally advanced thoracic tumors. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 92 (01) 264-270
- 2 Ohta M, Hirabayasi H, Shiono H. et al. Surgical resection for lung cancer with infiltration of the thoracic aorta. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005; 129 (04) 804-808
- 3 Toker A, Tanju S, Ozluk Y, Kaya S. Partial resection of the aorta and patch plasty with a simple clamping technique in a lung cancer patient. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2011; 12 (05) 827-828
- 4 Klepetko W, Wisser W, Bîrsan T. et al. T4 lung tumors with infiltration of the thoracic aorta: is an operation reasonable?. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67 (02) 340-344
- 5 de Perrot M, Fadel E, Mussot S, de Palma A, Chapelier A, Dartevelle P. Resection of locally advanced (T4) non-small cell lung cancer with cardiopulmonary bypass. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 79 (05) 1691-1696 , discussion 1697
- 6 Wukasch DC, Cooley DA, Sandiford FM, Nappi G, Reul Jr GJ. Ascending aorta-abdominal aorta bypass: indications, technique, and report of 12 patients. Ann Thorac Surg 1977; 23 (05) 442-448
- 7 Bigdeli AK, Schmitz C, Kaczmarek I. et al. Combined aortic valve replacement and extra-anatomic aorta ascending-descending bypass for recurrent aortic coarctation. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 89 (04) e22-e24
- 8 Gupta P, Harky A, Jahangeer S, Adams B, Bashir M. Evidence on deep hypothermic circulatory arrest in thoracic aortic aneurysm surgery. Tex Heart Inst J 2018; 45 (02) 70-75
- 9 Arakelyan V, Spiridonov A, Bockeria L. Ascending-to-descending aortic bypass via right thoracotomy for complex (re-) coarctation and hypoplastic aortic arch. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2005; 27 (05) 815-820
- 10 Said SM, Burkhart HM, Dearani JA, Connolly HM, Schaff HV. Ascending-to-descending aortic bypass: a simple solution to a complex problem. Ann Thorac Surg 2014; 97 (06) 2041-2047 , discussion 2047–2048
- 11 Coselli JS, LeMaire SA. Left heart bypass reduces paraplegia rates after thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67 (06) 1931-1934 , discussion 1953–1958