Effect of Cannabinoids on Electroencephalography of a Child with Lennox–Gastaut Syndrome
Cannabinoids have been found to be effective in controlling seizures and the highly purified form of cannabinoid derived for Cannabis sativa. Cannabidiol (CBD) is now approved for Lennox–Gastaut syndrome (LGS) and Dravet syndrome. CBD was used in a 9-year-old boy with LGS (unknown etiology) with very good results. The electroencephalography (EEG) response was very dramatic with near normalization of EEG background and complete control of seizures. The effect of CBD on EEG with such an improvement has not been described previously. Also, this adds to evidence that early intervention in LGS with CBD might be more helpful and improve outcomes.
11 August 2020 (online)
© 2020. Association for Helping Neurosurgical Sick People. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Radwan MM, ElSohly MA, El-Alfy AT. et al. Isolation and pharmacological evaluation of minor cannabinoids from high-potency Cannabis sativa. J Nat Prod 2015; 78 (06) 1271-1276
- 2 Devinsky O, Cross JH, Wright S. Trial of cannabidiol for drug-resistant seizures in the Dravet syndrome. N Engl J Med 2017; 377 (07) 699-700
- 3 Sekar K, Pack A. Epidiolex as adjunct therapy for treatment of refractory epilepsy: a comprehensive review with a focus on adverse effects. [version 1; peer review: 3 approved] F1000 Res 2019; 8: F1000 Faculty Rev-234
- 4 Kalser J, Cross JH. The epileptic encephalopathy jungle - from Dr West to the concepts of aetiology-related and developmental encephalopathies. Curr Opin Neurol 2018; 31 (02) 216-222
- 5 Zhang Y, Wang Y, Zhou Y, Zhang L, Yu L, Zhou S. Therapeutic effects of the ketogenic diet in children with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Epilepsy Res 2016; 128: 176-180