Subscribe to RSS
Homoeopathy—A Plausible Alternative Treatment of De Quervain's Tenosynovitis: Case Reports
Background De Quervain's tenosynovitis (DQT) is a disorder characterised by pain on the radial side of the wrist, impairment of thumb function and thickening of the ligamentous structure covering the tendons in the first dorsal compartment in the wrist.
Methods Two patients—a 50-year-old housewife and a 43-year-old computer operator were treated with a homoeopathic medicine ‘Rhus toxicodendron’ prescribed in 1M potency. The assessment was done using a visual analogue scale (VAS) for pain, quality of life (QoL) and range of motion (ROM) at baseline and end of the treatment. Assessment of causal attribution of treatment effect was done with the Modified Naranjo Criteria.
Result Both the cases showed a marked reduction in VAS (from +8 to 0 for both cases) and increase in QoL (from +5 to +10 & from +7 to +9) and ROM. The Modified Naranjo Criteria total score for each case was +7/13.
Conclusion Homoeopathy can be an effective approach in the management of DQT. Randomised controlled trials are thus indicated.
Financial Support and Sponsorship
27 January 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Peters-Veluthamaningal C, van der Windt D.A., Winters J.C., Meyboom-de JongB.. Corticosteroid injection for de Quervain’s tenosynovitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; 03: CD005616 . Published 2009 Jul 8. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD005616.pub2
- 2 Sluiter JK, Rest KM, Frings-Dresen MH. Criteria document for evaluating the work-relatedness of upper-extremity musculoskeletal disorders. Scand J Work Environ Health 2001; 27 (Suppl. 01) 1-102
- 3 Mak J. “De Quervain's Tenosynovitis: Effective Diagnosis and Evidence-Based Treatment.” Work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/work-related-musculoskeletal-disorders/de-quervain-s-tenosynovitis-effective-diagnosis-and-evidence-based-treatment (PMID: . Accessed on 10/03/2020)
- 4 Jaworski CA, Krause M, Brown J. Rehabilitation of the wrist and hand following sports injury. Clin Sports Med 2010; 29 (01) 61-80
- 5 Rettig AC. Wrist and hand overuse syndromes. Clin Sports Med 2001; 20 (03) 591-611
- 6 Ta KT, Eidelman D, Thomson JG. Patient satisfaction and outcomes of surgery for de Quervain's tenosynovitis. J Hand Surg Am 1999; 24 (05) 1071-1077
- 7 RADAR®, version 10.0 (ck), Archibel 2007, Belgium
- 8 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine; 5th edition translated by Dudgeon, R.E. and 6th edition by Boericke, W. New Delhi: B. Jain Publisher (P) Ltd; 2002: 122-127
- 9 Ilyas AM, Ast M, Schaffer AA, Thoder J. De Quervain tenosynovitis of the wrist. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2007; 15 (12) 757-764
- 10 Hahnemann S. Materia Medica Pura; Vol. 2; 16th impression; Translated by R. E. Dudgeon. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers(P)Ltd.; 2010: 400-438
- 11 Allen HC. Keynotes and Characteristics with Comparison of some of the Leading remedies of the Materia Medica with Bowel Nosodes. Low price Edition. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2002: 242-245
- 12 Katz J, Melzack R. Measurement of pain. Surg Clin North Am 1999; 79 (02) 231-252
- 13 Kim SG, Kim EK. Test-retest reliability of an active range of motion test for the shoulder and hip joints by unskilled examiners using a manual goniometer. J Phys Ther Sci 2016; 28 (03) 722-724
- 14 Papa JA. Conservative management of De Quervain's stenosing tenosynovitis: a case report. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2012; 56 (02) 112-120
- 15 Clarke MT, Lyall HA, Grant JW, Matthewson MH. The histopathology of de Quervain's disease. J Hand Surg [Br] 1998; 23 (06) 732-734
- 16 El Rassi G, Bleton R, Laporte D. Compartmental reconstruction for de Quervain stenosing tenosynovitis. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 2006; 40 (01) 46-48
- 17 Ilyas AM. Nonsurgical treatment for de Quervain's tenosynovitis. J Hand Surg Am 2009; 34 (05) 928-929
- 18 Vithoulkas G, Carlino S. The “continuum” of a unified theory of diseases. Med Sci Monit 2010; 16 (02) SR7-SR15
- 19 Vithoulkas G. Levels of health. Athens: International Academy of Classical Homeopathy; 2017
- 20 Mahesh S, Mallappa M, Vithoulkas G. Embryonal carcinoma with immature teratoma: a homeopathic case report. Complement Med Res 2018; 25 (02) 117-121
- 21 Mahesh S, Mallappa M, Vithoulkas G. Gangrene: five case studies of gangrene, preventing amputation through homoeopathic therapy. Indian Journal of Research in Homoeopathy 2015; 9 (02) 114
- 22 Dixit AK, Giri N. Tinea Corporis: an evidence-based case report treated with homoeopathic medicine Sepia. Homœopathic Links 2020; 33 (01) 33-40
- 23 Tenzera L, Djindjic B, Mihajlovic-Elez O, Pulparampil BJ, Mahesh S, Vithoulkas G. Improvements in long standing cardiac pathologies by individualized homeopathic remedies: a case series. SAGE Open Med Case Rep 2018; 6: X18792813
- 24 Mahesh S, Mallappa M, Tsintzas D, Vithoulkas G. Homeopathic treatment of vitiligo: a report of fourteen cases. Am J Case Rep 2017; 18: 1276-1283
- 25 Dixit A, Fatima L, Bhadula A. et al. Case Reports of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy from AYUSH Wellness Clinic. International Journal of Advanced Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani. Siddha and Homeopathy 2018; 7 (01) 471-487
- 26 Farrington EA. Clinical Materia Medica. Reprint edition. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2005: 223-236
- 27 Hughes R, Dake JP. A Cyclopaedia of Drug Pathogenesy (Vol. IV). New York: Boericke and Tafel; 1886
- 28 Burt WMH. Physiological Materia Medica. 3rd edition. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2012: 782-800
- 29 Cowperthwaite AC. Text book of Materia Medica and Therapeutics. 6th edition. Chicago: Gross and Delbridge; 1891: 658
- 30 Clarke JH. A Dictionary Of Practical Materia Medica (Vol. III). 30th impression. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2012: 780-792
- 31 Pulford A. Homoeopathic materia medica of graphic drug pictures and clinical comments. Toledo O 1944: 270-280
- 32 Sankaran R. The Soul of Remedies. 1st edition. Homeopathic Medical Publishers; 1997: 200-212
- 33 Vermeulen F. Synoptic Materia Medica; 1st edition. Emryss Publishers; 1994: 425-427