COVID-19, Homoeopathic Immunomodulation and the Road Ahead: Perspective
Background The global flare of a pneumonia-like disease in 2019, coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), has transformed into a malignant outbreak globally, with 73 lakh cases and 4 lakh deaths at the time of writing. Experimentation is pouring in from all quarters including homoeopathy. The disease speaks of the irreparable impacts of medications, rendering the body non-responsive to infections and afflictions. This review highlights the versatile approach of Classical Homoeopathic Immunomodulation along with recognition of the road ahead.
Objectives The aim of this study is to establish the immortal scientificity of homoeopathic principles by relating/explaining them in every classical and contemporary context. The principles of homoeopathy are to be revisited within the current context and more catered approaches for expansion of the Materia Medica with its application are the immediate requirements. This is possible primarily with Dr Hahnemann's versatile approach and principles, which stand the test of time, and secondarily due to the fact that chemotherapeutic dependence has permanently created negative imprints on human ability to fight diseases/external infections.
Methods A literature review of the existing knowledge of homoeopathy and its classical literature was done using books, databases like ResearchGate, PubMed and archives from the World Wide Web. Homoeopathic approaches and applications were reviewed, for a more catered design. Modern medical terminology and its relevance were also explored, with homoeopathic explanations. Causes of virulence of COVID-19 and their probable relations to comorbidities and drug dependence are catered upon.
Results Effectiveness of homoeopathy in management and prevention of epidemic outbreaks is well known. Literature and research have established immunomodulatory effects in vitro and in vivo. Application of this natural healing system to combat the after-effects of continued chemical interventions in large doses is sought.
Conclusion Homoeopathy is a natural system of healing the ailing humans from diseases and an unquestioned method of detoxifying/antidoting the chemotherapeutic effects that render the human body susceptible to vague/novel diseases. Today, the challenge lies not only in diagnosis, but also in management of complexities in presentations of novel diseases and in restricting the transformation of simple infections into deadly outbreaks. Realisation of natural principles of healing is the urgent need.
No financial support was sought from outside.
16 September 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
- 1 World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019 . Accessed June 11, 2020
- 2 World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub . Accessed June 5, 2020
- 3 Hahnemann S. The Lesser Writings of Samuel Hahnemann: Observations on the Three Current Methods of Treatment (. 1809. Paris Collected and translated by R.E. Dudgeon. New Delhi: IBPS; 592-624
- 4 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 6th ed. Translated by William Boericke. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers (P) Ltd. 44th Impression; 2012
- 5 Hahnemann S. The Lesser Writings of Samuel Hahnemann: Remarks on the Extreme Attenuation of Homoeopathic Medicines (. 1832. Paris. Collected and translated by R.E. Dudgeon. New Delhi: IBPS; 857-860
- 6 Hahnemann S. The Lesser Writings of Samuel Hahnemann: Essay on a New Principle for Ascertaining the Curative Powers of Drug (. 1796. Paris. Collected and translated by R.E. Dudgeon. New Delhi: IBPS; 295-352
- 7 Sue Young Histories. sueyounghistories.com. Accessed June 1, 2020
- 8 Peer RF, Shabir N. Iatrogenesis: a review on nature, extent, and distribution of healthcare hazards. J Family Med Primary Care 2018; 7 (02) 309 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6060929/ . Accessed June 5, 2020
- 9 World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. https://www.who.int/westernpacific/emergencies/covid-19/information/high-risk-groups . Accessed June 10, 2020
- 10 Patel RP. What is Tautopathy? Hahnemann Homoeopathic Pharmacy; reprint 1988
- 11 Kanjilal JN. Repertorization: How to Utilize Symptoms of the Case for Finding Out the Similimum with the Help of Repertory. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; , Reprint 2002, 2005
- 12 Murphy R. Lotus Health Institute, Homeopathic Toxicology. http://www.lotushealthinstitute.com/index.php/homeopathic-medicine-mainmenu-33/19-homeopathic-toxicology. Accessed May 31, 2020