Subscribe to RSS
Galen: The First Cardiac Surgeon?
It is widely believed that the first and the second pericardium surgeries were done in the nineteenth century by Francisco Romero and Dominique Jean Larrey, respectively; however, Galen was the first surgeon who proceeded with pericardiectomy. This ancient case report of sternum osteomyelitis and pericardiectomy illuminates some dark part of the history of medicine and the ability of physicians in that era.
Many events and dates of Galen's life are uncertain or controversial.
Received: 03 May 2020
Accepted: 03 August 2020
30 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Van Thielen J, Van Hee R. Pericardiotomy: the first cardiac operation. Acta Chir Belg 2008; 108 (01) 133-138
- 2 Johansson L. Diseases of the pericardium. In: Handbuch der Thoraxchirurgie, Ernst Derra (Hrsg), Vol. II. Berlin-Göttingen-Heidelberg: Springer; 1959: 630-631
- 3 Kirklin/Barratt Boyes. , Ed. . Pericardial disease. In: Cardiac Surgery. 3rd edition. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2003: 1779
- 4 Hurt L. Surgery of the pericardium. In: The History of Cardiothoracic Surgery from Early Times. New York: Parthenon Publishing Group; 1996: 411
- 5 Ibn Abi Usaybi’ah, Ahmad ibn al-Qasim, English translations of History of Physicians [Internet]. Modern Manuscripts Collection, History of Medicine Division, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD;. 1971 . p. 818-28. Accessed August 18, 2020 from: http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/ibn_abi_usaibia_03.htm
- 6 Ibn al-Mutran, As'ad ibn Ilyas. The Garden of the Physicians and the Meadows of the Wise [Kitāb Bustān al-aṭibbā 'wa-rawḍat al-alibbā];. 1597 p 9. Library, Museum and Document Center of Iran Parliament, Tehran, Iran; Call Number 3821.1. Available from: https://dlib.ical.ir/site/catalogue/502473 English site: https://www.ical.ir/ical/en/. Accessed August 18, 2020
- 7 Yadla M, Reddy S, Sriramnaveen P. et al. Sternal tuberculosis in a patient with chronic kidney disease. Indian J Nephrol 2013; 23 (01) 57-58
- 8 Hankinson RJ. , Ed. . The Cambridge companion to Galen. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2008. p.1, p. 4, p. 14, etc.