Subscribe to RSS
Successful Homoeopathic Treatment of Phyllodes Tumour: A Case StudyFunding The project was funded under the Extra-Mural Research Scheme of Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy, Government of India (vide letter no F. No-23-111/2009-10/CCRH/Tech/EMR/8758 dated 7th September 2009). Technical and administrative support was provided by the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy.
Phyllodes tumours (PTs) of the breast are rare biphasic fibroepithelial neoplasm. They have potentiality to recur and metastasise. Majority of them follow a benign clinical course. We have treated one patient suffering from PT at the out-patient department of Sri Ram Medical & Homoeopathic Research Centre, Gorakhpur, India. After detailed case taking and repertorisation, first Conium maculatum and later on Phytolacca decandra and Calcarea fluorica were prescribed on the basis of individualisation to treat the case. Outcomes were assessed clinically every month for subjective improvement and objectively by ultrasonography reports at every 6-month interval. Gradual improvement was noted over time. The case has been assessed with MONARCH Inventory, which shows ‘definite’ association between the medicine and the outcome.
P.S.: concept, literature search, clinical study and preparation of the article; P.M.: about the present modern medicine intervention, drafting the paper; R.K.M.: expert opinion regarding pathological investigation; R.K.J.: ultrasonological examination and expert opinion; all the authors reviewed and approved the final paper.
Article published online:
02 July 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 McCarthy E, Kavanagh J, O'Donoghue Y, McCormack E, D'Arcy C, O'Keeffe SA. Phyllodes tumours of the breast: radiological presentation, management and follow-up. Br J Radiol 2014; 87 (1044): 20140239
- 2 Das S. A Concise Textbook of Surgery. 5th ed.. Kolkata: . Published by Dr. Somen Das; 2009: 710
- 3 Calhoun K, Lawton TJ, Kim JM. et al. Phyllodes tumour. In: Harris J, Lippman ME, Osborne CK, Morrow M. eds. Diseases of the Breast. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2010: 781
- 4 Chaney AW, Pollack A, McNeese MD. et al. Primary treatment of cystosarcoma phyllodes of the breast. Cancer 2000; 89 (07) 1502-1511
- 5 Rowell MD, Perry RR, Hsiu JG, Barranco SC. Phyllodes tumors. Am J Surg 1993; 165 (03) 376-379
- 6 Bernstein L, Deapen D, Ross RK. The descriptive epidemiology of malignant cystosarcoma phyllodes tumors of the breast. Cancer 1993; 71 (10) 3020-3024
- 7 Birch JM, Alston RD, McNally RJ. et al. Relative frequency and morphology of cancers in carriers of germline TP53 mutations. Oncogene 2001; 20 (34) 4621-4628
- 8 Ward ST, Jewkes AJ, Jones BG. et al. The sensitivity of needle core biopsy in combination with other investigations for the diagnosis of phyllodes tumours of the breast. Int J Surg 2012; 10 (09) 527-531
- 9 Shukla P, Misra P, Misra RK. et al. Homoeopathic management of breast fibroadenoma – an open label, single arm, observational trial. Homoeopathic Links 2020; 33 (02) 90-98
- 10 Lamba CD, Gupta VK, van Haselen R. et al. Evaluation of the Modified Naranjo Criteria for assessing causal attribution of clinical outcome to homeopathic intervention as presented in case reports. Homeopathy: the Journal of the Faculty of Homeopathy 2020; DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1701251.
11 RADAR®, version 10.0.028 (ck), Archibel 2007, Belgium
- 12 Kent JT. Lectures on Homoeopathic Materia Medica. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2006: 467-473
- 13 Boericke William. Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2008: 230-232
- 14 Park HJ, Ryu HS, Kim K, Shin KH, Han W, Noh DY. Risk factors for recurrence of malignant Phyllodes tumors of the breast. In Vivo 2019; 33 (01) 263-269
- 15 Kent JT. Lectures on Homoeopathic Philosophy. New Delhi: Indian Books & Periodicals Publishers; 2007: 10
- 16 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 6th edition.. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 2002: 103
- 17 den Exter PL, Hornstra BJ, Vree R. [Phyllodes tumour: a rare, rapidly growing breast tumour]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 2009; 153: A981
- 18 Yan Z, Gudi M, Lim SH. A large benign phyllodes tumour of the breast: a case report and literature review. Int J Surg Case Rep 2017; 39: 192-195
- 19 Barth Jr RJ, Wells WA, Mitchell SE, Cole BF. A prospective, multi-institutional study of adjuvant radiotherapy after resection of malignant phyllodes tumors. Ann Surg Oncol 2009; 16 (08) 2288-2294
- 20 Spanheimer PM, Murray MP, Zabor EC. et al. Long-term outcomes after surgical treatment of malignant/borderline phyllodes tumors of the breast. Ann Surg Oncol 2019; 26 (07) 2136-2143
- 21 Burnett JC. Tumours of the Breast and Their Treatment and Cure by Medicines. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 2005: 84-86
- 22 Burnett JC. Curability of Tumours by Medicines. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P). Ltd.; 2014. 191. 255
- 23 Tanwar P, Gupta S, Bharti D, Kalra D, Kumar N, Sodha VS. Magnitude of hypothyroidism in benign breast disorders and effect of thyroxin replacement on clinical outcome of benign breast disorders with hypothyroidism as co morbidity. International Journal of Research in Health Sciences 2016; 6 (06) 61-70
- 24 Cerrag X. Breast fibroadenoma and uterine fibroid in a female with HACEK endocarditis: is there any possible correlation?. J Womens Health Care 2015; 4 (08) 1000287