Homoeopathic Management of a Case of Severe Haemophilia Type A with Inhibitor Positive: Case Report
Haemophilia is an X-linked inherited immunogenetic bleeding disorder resulting from deficiency of clotting Factor VIII (haemophilia A) or Factor IX (haemophilia B). Haemophilia patients suffer from complication of developing autoantibodies/inhibitor against clotting factors used for the treatment; most commonly patients are treated with Factor VIII replacement therapy. In modern medicine, haemophiliacs with inhibitor positive status are treated with bypassing agents such as Factor VIII inhibitor bypassing agent and immune tolerance induction therapy (ITI) because such patients do not respond to traditional factor replacement therapy during an event of active bleeding. Treatment with ITI is very expensive and it requires medical expertise. Moreover, high cost of such treatment is one part of the problem, while its availability is another problem especially in developing countries. The inhibitor status among haemophilia patients is identified by conducting a blood test which measures the Bethesda units (BU) levels in the blood. In this case report, the homoeopathic management of a patient with haemophilia A severe type (Factor VIII <1%), inhibitor positive (4 BU/mL), is presented. The patient underwent treatment for a span of 4 years. After closely assessing the patient's condition and applying the principles of homeopathy medicine selection, his frequent bleeding episodes were treated with homoeopathic medicines such as Hamamelis Virginica Q, Phosphorus, Arnica montana, Rhus toxicodendron, Calendula officinalis, and Pulsatilla nigricans. Intercurrent medicine—Tuberculinum bovinum—was given when the most indicated medicine failed to relieve the symptoms of the case and was given during non-bleeding phase. The medicines not only helped in reducing haemophilia-related bleeding episodes but also improved complaints of pain, relieved skin complaints, and showed improvement in overall psychological status of patient. It can be concluded that homeopathy medicines were able to successfully reduce the frequency of bleeding and intensity of pain in this patient. Owing to reduced bleeding, he required relatively a smaller number of factor replacement treatment compared with earlier when he was not taking homeopathy. Homoeopathy proved to be effective in managing severe haemophilia patient as a supportive therapy and was able to contribute toward reduced inhibitor levels in severe haemophilia patient.
Keywordshaemophilia - inhibitor positive - homoeopathy - HIH (Homoeopathy in Haemophilia) - case report
Patient stated that it was too pathetic to handle the times of bleeding and swelling episodes. But after taking regular Homoeopathic treatment, there is much relief and that he doesn't require any infusions also. According to the patient, the Homoeopathic medicines itself helps very fast. Overall, the patients experience with the treatment is really good.
Written informed consent was obtained from patient.
31 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
- 1 Jorde LB, Carey JC, Bamshad MJ. Medical Genetics. 5th edition.. Elsevier; 81-83
- 2 List of Rare Disease Information-NORD(National Organization for Rare Disorders). Accessed Sep 21, 2020 at: https://rarediseases.org
- 3 Inhibitors and Hemophilia-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC)- Accessed Sep 21, 2020 at: https://www.cdc.gov
- 4 www.homoeopathyinhaemophilia.com - to avail treatment- case_report_format. Accessed Sep 21, 2020
- 5 Wong DL, Hockenberry-Eaton M, Wilson D, Winkelstein ML, Schwartz P. Wong's Essentials of Pediatric Nursing. 6th edition.. St. Louis: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2001: 1301
- 6 van Duijn G, Dijkxhoorn Y, Noens I, Scholte E, van Berckelaer-Onnes I. Vineland Screener 0-12 years research version (NL). Constructing a screening instrument to assess adaptive behaviour. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 2009; 18 (02) 110-117
- 7 Boericke W. Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory. 9th edition.. Indian Books and Periodicals Publishers; 2004: 318-319
- 8 MIASMS-A New Perspective on the Hereditary Factor. Accessed Sep 21, 2020 at: https://tomislavbudak.com
- 9 Lamba C, Gupta V, Haselen R, Rutten L. et al. Evaluation of the Modified Naranjo Criteria for assessing causal attribution of clinical outcome to Homeopathic intervention as presented in case reports. 2019
- 10 Copyright 2007-Insall Scott Kelly Institute. Accessed Sep 21, 2020 at: www.iskinstitute.com
- 11 Allen HC. The MATERIA MEDICA of the NOSODES with Provings of the X-Ray. William Boericke, MD, Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory. 9th edition.. 655-659
- 12 Kundu T, Shaik T, Singh P. et al. Management of acute bleeding in severe haemophilia using homeopathic medicines: a multicentric case series. J Homeop Ayurv Med 2015; 4: 180 DOI: 10.4172/2167-1206.1000180.
- 13 Kundu T, Ghosh K, Shaikh A. et al. [Homeopathic medicine reduces pain and hemarthrosis in moderate and severe hemophilia: a multicentric study]. Complement Med Res 2018; 25 (05) 306-312