Study of 20 Cases of Otitis Media Successfully Treated with Homoeopathic Medicines—A Case SeriesFunding The authors received no external funding for study.
Background Otitis is a general term for inflammation or infection of the ear. Otitis media is the presence of inflammation or infection in the middle ear. Homoeopathy is the most popular treatment among the complementary and alternative medicine therapies sought for otitis media. Several studies revealed promising role of homoeopathic treatment in otitis media. The present study comprises the role of homoeopathic medicines in the treatment of 20 cases of otitis media.
Materials and Methods It is a case series of 20 cases of otitis media which is unicentric retrospective observational study. Data was collected after consecutive appointments of patients visiting one outpatient clinic of Regional Research Institute for Homoeopathy, Guwahati, during the 12 months, January 2019 to January 2020. Individualised homoeopathic medicines were administered according to the rules of homoeopathy. In this study, outcome related to impact on daily living scale was used to assess the patient's well-being. The outcome score recorded at the last follow-up appointment per case was thus the single value analysed.
Result Among the patients (n = 20) included in the study, the number of patients belonging to female category was 10, (50%) while 10 patients (50%) were male, with a ratio of 1:1. Several medicines (n = 8) were prescribed and administered as follows: Belladonna (n = 1, 5%), Chamomilla (n = 1, 5%), Kali muriaticum (n = 2, 10%), Kali sulphuricum (n = 4, 20%), Mercurius dulcis (n = 2, 10%), Mercurius solubilis (n = 7, 35%), Pulsatilla (n = 2, 10%), Silicea (n = 1, 5%). No patient required antibiotics. Out of 20 cases, only four patients needed second prescription. Change of prescription was done in only one case among them. Higher potency was administered for the other three cases. 16 patients followed-up and 4 patients were dropped out after first prescription. Of these 16 follow-ups, there was a positive outcome in 12 (60%), negative in 2 (10%) and no change in 2 (10%) patients. In our study, outcome did not depend on the age but on medicine. Correctly chosen remedy with strict homoeopathic principle shows maximum improvement. When duration of illness was analysed, it was found that cases with complaints of short duration improve early, whereas cases with long duration of illness took much time to recover or remained status quo.
Conclusion The study reflected the importance of homoeopathic prescribing in the treatment of otitis following strict homoeopathic principles.
Dr Pawan Sharma—Concept and study design, data acquisition, data analysis and interpretation, revising manuscript.
Dr Tanya Aggarwal—Revising manuscript, data analysis and interpretation.
Dr Subhadeep Kar—Data acquisition and revising manuscript.
Authors read and approved the final manuscript.
31 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
- 1 Lieberthal AS, Carroll AE, Chonmaitree T. et al. The diagnosis and management of acute otitis media. Pediatrics 2013; 131 (03) e964-e999
- 2 Minovi A, Dazert S. Diseases of the middle ear in childhood. GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2014; 13: Doc11
- 3 Emmett SD, Kokesh J, Kaylie D. Chronic ear disease. Med Clin North Am 2018; 102 (06) 1063-1079
- 4 Biswas AC, Joarder AH, Siddiquee BH. Prevalence of CSOM among rural school going children. Mymensingh Med J 2005; 14 (02) 152-155
- 5 Arrighi A. Otite media essudativa. Protocollo omotossicologico vs protocollo allopatico di riferimento. Med Biol (Milano) 2003; 4: 17-26
- 6 Bhasme A. Clinical evaluation of homoeopathic remedies in acute otitis. Asian J Hom 2012; 6 (01) 12-19
- 7 D'Souza RP. Efficacy of homoeopathy in treatment of acute otitis media with intense otalgia in children. Homoeopath Heritage Int 2017; 37: 37-42
- 8 Frei H, Thurneysen A. Homoeopathy in acute otitis media in children: treatment effect or spontaneous resolution?. Br Homeopath J 2001; 90 (04) 180-182
- 9 Friese K. Therapie der akuten Mittelohrentzündung bei Kindern. Therapiewoche 1994; 44: 348-353
- 10 Friese KH, Kruse S, Lüdtke R, Moeller H. The homoeopathic treatment of otitis media in children--comparisons with conventional therapy. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 1997; 35 (07) 296-301
- 11 Harrison H, Fixsen A, Vickers A. A randomized comparison of homoeopathic and standard care for the treatment of glue ear in children. Complement Ther Med 1999; 7 (03) 132-135
- 12 Jacobs J, Springer DA, Crothers D. Homoeopathic treatment of acute otitis media in children: a preliminary randomized placebo-controlled trial. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2001; 20 (02) 177-183
- 13 Kruse S. Otitis media bei Kindern: Homöopathische Therapie versus konventionelle Therapie. Stuttgart: Hippokrates; 1998. 14. Kruse S. Otitis media bei Kindern: Homöopathische Therapie versus konventionelle Therapie. Stuttgart. Hippokrates (Helsinki) 1998; •••: 14
- 14 Malerba E. Terapia omotossicologica dell'Otite Media Secretiva: monitoraggio anatomofunzionale. Med Biol (Milano) 2005; 2: 27-35
- 15 Mössinger P. Zur Behandlung der Otitis media mit Pulsatilla. Kinderarzt 1985; 16 (04) 581-582
- 16 Sinha MN, Siddiqui VA, Nayak C. et al. Randomized controlled pilot study to compare homoeopathy and conventional therapy in acute otitis media. Homoeopathy 2012; 101 (01) 5-12
- 17 Taylor JA, Jacobs J. Homoeopathic ear drops as an adjunct to standard therapy in children with acute otitis media. Homoeopathy 2011; 100 (03) 109-115
- 18 Wustrow TP. Naturheilkundliche Therapie der akuten Otitis media. Eine Alternative zum primären Antibiotikaeinsatz. HNO 2005; 53 (08) 728-734
- 19 Goenka R, Panakkada D, Chattopadhyay A. et al. Protocol: Efficacy of individualized homoeopathic treatment of chronic suppurative otitis media: double-blind, randomized, placebocontrolled trial. National Homoeo Recorder 2018; 14 (04) 9-16
- 20 Simpson JJ, Donaldson I, Davies WE. Use of homoeopathy in the treatment of tinnitus. Br J Audiol 1998; 32 (04) 227-233
- 21 Bell IR, Boyer NN. Homoeopathic medications as clinical alternatives for symptomatic care of acute otitis media and upper respiratory infections in children. Glob Adv Health Med 2013; 2 (01) 32-43
- 22 Pichichero ME, Casey JR. Systematic review of factors contributing to penicillin treatment failure in Streptococcus pyogenes pharyngitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007; 137 (06) 851-857