Subscribe to RSS
Dissecting Aneurysm of the L1 Radiculomedullary Artery Associated with Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Case Report
Background Both spinal artery aneurysm and spinal subarachnoid hemorrhage represent a very rare event.
Methods We report a case of a ruptured dissecting aneurysm of the right L1 radiculomedullary artery associated with subarachnoid hemorrhage and severe motor weakness.
Results An urgent decompressive hemilaminectomy was performed due to worsening in motor deficit. A subsequent spinal angiography showed a dissection of radiculomedullary artery of L1 on the right side, treated conservatively.
Conclusion Nowadays, therapeutic strategies for this aneurysm remain controversial. Conservative strategy can represent a valid alternative.
Keywordssubarachnoid hemorrhage - dissection aneurysm - radiculomedullary artery - conservative treatment
Received: 18 February 2020
Accepted: 22 April 2020
Article published online:
04 February 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Djindjian M, Djindjian R, Rey A, Hurth M, Houdart R. Intradural extramedullary spinal arterio-venous malformations fed by the anterior spinal artery. Surg Neurol 1977; 8 (02) 85-93
- 2 Longatti P, Sgubin D, Di Paola F. Bleeding spinal artery aneurysms. J Neurosurg Spine 2008; 8 (06) 574-578
- 3 Berlis A, Schumacher M, Spreer J, Neumann HP, van Velthoven V. Subarachnoid haemorrhage due to cervical spinal cord haemangioblastomas in a patient with von Hippel-Lindau disease. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2003; 145 (11) 1009-1013 , discussion 1013
- 4 Massand MG, Wallace RC, Gonzalez LF, Zabramski JM, Spetzler RF. Subarachnoid hemorrhage due to isolated spinal artery aneurysm in four patients. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2005; 26 (09) 2415-2419
- 5 Yahiro T, Hirakawa K, Iwaasa M, Tsugu H, Fukushima T, Utsunomiya H. Pseudoaneurysm of the thoracic radiculomedullary artery with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Case report. J Neurosurg 2004; 100 (03) , Suppl Spine ): 312-315
- 6 Sato K, Roccatagliata L, Depuydt S, Rodesch G. Multiple aneurysms of thoracic spinal cord arteries presenting with spinal infarction and subarachnoid hemorrhage: case report and literature review. Neurosurgery 2012; 71 (05) E1053-E1058 , discussion E1058
- 7 Berlis A, Scheufler KM, Schmahl C, Rauer S, Götz F, Schumacher M. Solitary spinal artery aneurysms as a rare source of spinal subarachnoid hemorrhage: potential etiology and treatment strategy. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2005; 26 (02) 405-410
- 8 Yoong MF, Blumbergs PC, North JB. Primary (granulomatous) angiitis of the central nervous system with multiple aneurysms of spinal arteries. Case report. J Neurosurg 1993; 79 (04) 603-607
- 9 Gonzalez LF, Zabramski JM, Tabrizi P, Wallace RC, Massand MG, Spetzler RF. Spontaneous spinal subarachnoid hemorrhage secondary to spinal aneurysms: diagnosis and treatment paradigm. Neurosurgery 2005; 57 (06) 1127-1131 , discussion 1127–1131
- 10 Toyota S, Wakayama A, Fujimoto Y, Sugiura S, Yoshimine T. Dissecting aneurysm of the radiculomedullary artery originating from extracranial vertebral artery dissection in a patient with rheumatoid cervical spine disease: an unusual cause of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Case report. J Neurosurg Spine 2007; 7 (06) 660-663
- 11 Iihoshi S, Miyata K, Murakami T, Kaneko T, Koyanagi I. Dissection aneurysm of the radiculomedullary branch of the artery of Adamkiewicz with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2011; 51 (09) 649-652
- 12 Caglar YS, Torun F, Pait G, Bagdatoglu C, Sancak T. Ruptured aneurysm of the posterior spinal artery of the conus medullaris. J Clin Neurosci 2005; 12 (05) 603-605
- 13 Ikeda S, Takai K, Kikkawa Y. et al. Ruptured posterior spinal artery aneurysm: intraoperative and histologic findings with appreciable thrombosis. Spine J 2016; 16 (03) e215-e217
- 14 Takebayashi K, Ishikawa T, Murakami M. et al. Isolated posterior spinal artery aneurysm presenting with spontaneous thrombosis after subarachnoid hemorrhage. World Neurosurg 2020; 134: 544-547
- 15 van Es ACGM, Brouwer PA, Willems PW. Management considerations in ruptured isolated radiculopial artery aneurysms. A report of two cases and literature review. Interv Neuroradiol 2013; 19 (01) 60-66
- 16 Vishteh AG, Brown AP, Spetzler RF. Aneurysm of the intradural artery of Adamkiewicz treated with muslin wrapping: technical case report. Neurosurgery 1997; 40 (01) 207-209
- 17 Pahl FH, de Oliveira MF, Rotta MA, Dias GM, Rezende AL, Rotta JM. Spontaneous resolution of an isolated cervical anterior spinal artery aneurysm after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Surg Neurol Int 2014; 5: 139
- 18 Yang TK. A ruptured aneurysm in the branch of the anterior spinal artery. J Cerebrovasc Endovasc Neurosurg 2013; 15 (01) 26-29
- 19 Karakama J, Nakagawa K, Maehara T, Ohno K. Subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by a ruptured anterior spinal artery aneurysm. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2010; 50 (11) 1015-1019
- 20 Garcia CA, Dulcey S, Dulcey J. Ruptured aneurysm of the spinal artery of Adamkiewicz during pregnancy. Neurology 1979; 29 (03) 394-398
- 21 Lavoie P, Raymond J, Roy D, Guilbert F, Weill A. Selective treatment of an anterior spinal artery aneurysm with endosaccular coil therapy. Case report. J Neurosurg Spine 2007; 6 (05) 460-464
- 22 Renieri L, Raz E, Lanzino G. et al. Spinal artery aneurysms: clinical presentation, radiological findings and outcome. J Neurointerv Surg 2018; 10 (07) 644-648
- 23 Madhugiri VS, Ambekar S, Roopesh Kumar VR, Sasidharan GM, Nanda A. Spinal aneurysms: clinicoradiological features and management paradigms. J Neurosurg Spine 2013; 19 (01) 34-48
- 24 Dabus G, Tosello RT, Pereira BJA, Linfante I, Piske RL. Dissecting spinal aneurysms: conservative management as a therapeutic option. J Neurointerv Surg 2018; 10 (05) 451-454