Clinical Outcomes after Mitral Valve Repair with the Physio II Annuloplasty Ring
Background Mitral valve (MV) repair with annuloplasty is the standard of care in patients with primary degenerative mitral regurgitation (DMR). Newer generations of annuloplasty rings have been developed with the goals of closer reproduction of native annular geometry and easier implantation. This study investigates the short-term and 5-year clinical outcomes of MV repair with the Carpentier-Edwards (CE) Physio II annuloplasty ring.
Methods This is an observational study including a total of 486 patients who underwent MV repair for DMR using the CE Physio II annuloplasty ring between 2011 and 2016.
Results Mean age was 54.8 ± 12.1 years, 364 patients (74.9%) were males, and 84 patients (17.3%) presented with atrial fibrillation. Mean left ventricular ejection fraction was 62.3 ± 7.3%. Mean logistic EuroSCORE was 2.7 ± 2.4%. New York Heart Association functional class III–IV symptoms were present in 134 (27.6%) patients preoperatively. Isolated MV repair was performed via a right-sided mini-thoracotomy in 479 patients (98.6%). Concomitant procedures included ablation for atrial fibrillation in 83 patients (17.1%) and closure of atrial septum defect in 88 patients (18.1%). Median size of implanted annuloplasty rings was 34 mm (interquartile range: 34–38 mm). Mean cardiopulmonary bypass time was 116 ± 34 minutes and mean cross-clamp time was 74 ± 25 minutes. Thirty-day mortality was 0.4%. The Kaplan–Meier 4-year survival was 98.5%. Freedom from MV reoperation was 96.2 and 94.0% at 1 and 4 years.
Conclusion MV repair with the CE Physio II annuloplasty ring is associated with excellent midterm clinical outcome.
Keywordechocardiography (all modalities - applications) - mitral valve surgery - heart valve surgery
* Both authors share equal authorship.
Received: 01 June 2020
Accepted: 09 November 2020
18 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 El Sabbagh A, Reddy YNV, Nishimura RA. Mitral valve regurgitation in the contemporary era: insights into diagnosis, management, and future directions. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2018; 11 (04) 628-643
- 2 Kang DH, Park SJ, Sun BJ. et al. Early surgery versus conventional treatment for asymptomatic severe mitral regurgitation: a propensity analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 63 (22) 2398-2407
- 3 Suri RM, Vanoverschelde JL, Grigioni F. et al. Association between early surgical intervention vs watchful waiting and outcomes for mitral regurgitation due to flail mitral valve leaflets. JAMA 2013; 310 (06) 609-616
- 4 Suri RM, Clavel MA, Schaff HV. et al. Effect of recurrent mitral regurgitation following degenerative mitral valve repair: long-term analysis of competing outcomes. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 67 (05) 488-498
- 5 Suri RM, Taggarse A, Burkhart HM. et al. Robotic mitral valve repair for simple and complex degenerative disease: midterm clinical and echocardiographic quality outcomes. Circulation 2015; 132 (21) 1961-1968
- 6 Lang RM, Bierig M, Devereux RB. et al; Chamber Quantification Writing Group, American Society of Echocardiography's Guidelines and Standards Committee, European Association of Echocardiography. Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2005; 18 (12) 1440-1463
- 7 Zoghbi WA, Enriquez-Sarano M, Foster E. et al; American Society of Echocardiography. Recommendations for evaluation of the severity of native valvular regurgitation with two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2003; 16 (07) 777-802
- 8 Seeburger J, Borger MA, Falk V. et al. Minimal invasive mitral valve repair for mitral regurgitation: results of 1339 consecutive patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 34 (04) 760-765
- 9 Seeburger J, Borger MA, Doll N. et al. Comparison of outcomes of minimally invasive mitral valve surgery for posterior, anterior and bileaflet prolapse. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2009; 36 (03) 532-538
- 10 Vohra HA, Whistance RN, Bezuska L, Livesey SA. Initial experience of mitral valve repair using the Carpentier-Edwards Physio II annuloplasty ring. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 39 (06) 881-885
- 11 Desai MY, Grigioni F, Di Eusanio M. et al. Outcomes in degenerative mitral regurgitation: current state-of-the art and future directions. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 2017; 60 (03) 370-385
- 12 McClure RS, Athanasopoulos LV, McGurk S, Davidson MJ, Couper GS, Cohn LH. One thousand minimally invasive mitral valve operations: early outcomes, late outcomes, and echocardiographic follow-up. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145 (05) 1199-1206
- 13 Davierwala PM, Seeburger J, Pfannmueller B. et al. Minimally invasive mitral valve surgery: “The Leipzig experience”. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 2 (06) 744-750
- 14 David TE, Armstrong S, McCrindle BW, Manlhiot C. Late outcomes of mitral valve repair for mitral regurgitation due to degenerative disease. Circulation 2013; 127 (14) 1485-1492
- 15 Chan DT, Chiu CS, Cheng LC, Au TW. Mitral valve annuloplasty with Carpentier-Edwards physio ring: mid-term results. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2006; 14 (05) 382-386
- 16 Kurosawa H, Nakano M, Kawase M, Kasegawa H, Nakano K, Eishi K. Mitral valve repair by Carpentier-Edwards physio annuloplasty ring. Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1999; 47 (08) 355-360
- 17 Carpentier AF, Lessana A, Relland JY. et al. The “physio-ring”: an advanced concept in mitral valve annuloplasty. Ann Thorac Surg 1995; 60 (05) 1177-1185 , discussion 1185–1186
- 18 Ryomoto M, Mitsuno M, Yamamura M. et al. Physiological mitral annular dynamics preserved after ring annuloplasty in mid-term period. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2017; 65 (11) 627-632
- 19 Padala M, Hutchison RA, Croft LR. et al. Saddle shape of the mitral annulus reduces systolic strains on the P2 segment of the posterior mitral leaflet. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88 (05) 1499-1504
- 20 Bruno PG, Leva C, Santambrogio L. et al. Early clinical experience and echocardiographic results with a new semirigid mitral annuloplasty ring: the Sorin Memo 3D. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88 (05) 1492-1498