Subscribe to RSS
An Accurate Upper Lid Blepharoplasty: A Key Component of Facial Rejuvenation
Upper eyelid surgery is a common procedure performed by a variety of subspecialists including facial plastic surgeons, oculoplastic surgeons, general otolaryngologists, and plastic surgeons. Traditionally, a skin incision is marked in the preoperative setting to allow for an excision that eliminates upper eyelid hooding while preventing lagophthalmos. Many different methodologies have been proposed to maximize results and minimize complications. In this article, the authors propose a unique way to safely and effectively address dermatochalasis. The pinch technique allows for an accurate assessment of excess skin and provides a method that requires less operative time than traditional techniques. The use of both local anesthetic with epinephrine and hyaluronidase helps achieve the appropriate plane and attain better hemostasis. Importantly, the presented technique allows for reassessment and revision of the amount of skin excision before incision creation. It is a useful methodology for any surgeon performing upper lid blepharoplasty.
31 January 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Lee JW, Baker SR. Esthetic enhancements in upper blepharoplasty. Clin Plast Surg 2013; 40 (01) 139-146
- 2 Lieberman DM, Quatela VC. Upper lid blepharoplasty: a current perspective. Clin Plast Surg 2013; 40 (01) 157-165
- 3 Dupuis C, Rees TD. Historical notes on blepharoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 1971; 47 (03) 246-251
- 4 Thomas JR, Davis WE. Pinch-technique blepharoplasty for the upper eyelid. Ear Nose Throat J 1977; 56 (09) 367-368
- 5 Zimbler MS, Prendiville S, Thomas JR. The “pinch and slide” blepharoplasty: safe and predictable aesthetic results. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2004; 6 (05) 348-350
- 6 Dry Eye. National Eye Institute. Accessed November 22, 2020 at: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-health/eye-conditions-and-diseases/dry-eye
- 7 Kanellopoulos AJ, Asimellis G. In pursuit of objective dry eye screening clinical techniques. Eye Vis (Lond) 2016; 3: 1
- 8 Meadows M. Dealing with dry eye. Accessed November 22, 2020 at: https://web.archive.org/web/20080223190429/https:/www.fda.gov/fdac/features/200/5/305eye.html
- 9 Weissman JD, Most SP. Upper lid blepharoplasty. Facial Plast Surg 2013; 29 (01) 16-21
- 10 Gentile RD. Upper lid blepharoplasty. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 2005; 13 (04) 511-524 , v–vi
- 11 Czyz CN, Hill RH, Foster JA. Preoperative evaluation of the brow-lid continuum. Clin Plast Surg 2013; 40 (01) 43-53
- 12 Most SP, Mobley SR, Larrabee Jr WF. Anatomy of the eyelids. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 2005; 13 (04) 487-492 , v