Subscribe to RSS
The Transformation of Intracranial Subdural Hygroma to Chronic Subdural Hematoma Following Endoscopic Spinal Surgery: A Case Report
Background We present the case of an intracranial subdural hygroma resulting from intraoperatively undetected dural tear after unilateral biportal endoscopic (UBE) spine surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis.
Case Description An 80-year-old woman presented with insidious onset, gradually progressing low back pain, and right leg pain of 1-year duration. The pain radiated to the right L4–L5 dermatomes. Neurogenic intermittent claudication was <300 m. Motor function was normal. Lumbar magnetic resonance imaging showed a lateral recess stenosis at the L3–L4 and L4–L5 levels. These lesions were operated on by the UBE decompression technique.
No major complications were encountered during the operation. But soon we found out that there was an undiscovered dura tear. We placed the patient under close observation for 2 weeks. After 30 days, we confirmed that subdural hygroma had changed to chronic subdural hematoma. Conservative treatment was continued. On postoperative day 90), the condition was stable and the symptoms improved completely.
Conclusions We concluded that a spinal cerebrospinal fluid leakage can result in an intracranial subdural hygroma. Intracranial subdural hygromas and hematomas after lumbar spinal surgery should be cautiously assessed and treated.
Keywordsdural tear - subdural hygroma - endoscopic spinal surgery - complication - subdural hematoma
Received: 10 July 2020
Accepted: 29 September 2020
Article published online:
14 July 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Ahn Y, Lee HY, Lee SH, Lee JH. Dural tears in percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy. Eur Spine J 2011; 20 (01) 58-64
- 2 Müller SJ, Burkhardt BW, Oertel JM. Management of dural tears in endoscopic lumbar spinal surgery: a review of the literature. World Neurosurg 2018; 119: 494-499
- 3 Sciubba DM, Kretzer RM, Wang PP. Acute intracranial subdural hematoma following a lumbar CSF leak caused by spine surgery. Spine 2005; 30 (24) E730-E732
- 4 Schievink WI. Spontaneous spinal cerebrospinal fluid leaks and intracranial hypotension. JAMA 2006; 295 (19) 2286-2296
- 5 Friedman JA, Ecker RD, Piepgras DG, Duke DA. Cerebellar hemorrhage after spinal surgery: report of two cases and literature review. Neurosurgery 2002; 50 (06) 1361-1363 , discussion 1363–1364
- 6 Konya D, Ozgen S, Pamir MN. Cerebellar hemorrhage after spinal surgery: case report and review of the literature. Eur Spine J 2006; 15 (01) 95-99
- 7 Morimoto T, Shiraki M, Otani K, Sonohata M, Mawatari M. Supratentorial subdural hemorrhage of a previous head injury and cerebellar hemorrhage after cervical spinal surgery: a case report and review of the literature. Spine 2014; 39 (12) E743-E747
- 8 Parpaley Y, Urbach H, Kovacs A, Klehr M, Kristof RA. Pseudohypoxic brain swelling (postoperative intracranial hypotension-associated venous congestion) after spinal surgery: report of 2 cases. Neurosurgery 2011; 68 (01) E277-E283
- 9 Jonsson LO, Einarsson P, Olsson GL. Subdural haematoma and spinal anaesthesia. A case report and an incidence study. Anaesthesia 1983; 38 (02) 144-146
- 10 Yamada H, Watanabe T, Murata S. et al. Developmental process of chronic subdural collections of fluid based on CT scan findings. Surg Neurol 1980; 13 (06) 441-448
- 11 Ohno K, Suzuki R, Masaoka H, Matsushima Y, Inaba Y, Monma S. Chronic subdural haematoma preceded by persistent traumatic subdural fluid collection. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1987; 50 (12) 1694-1697
- 12 Sohn IT, Lee KS, Doh JW, Bae HG, Yun IG. A prospective study on the incidence, patterns and premorbid conditions of traumatic subdural hygroma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 1997; 26: 87-93
- 13 Dierckx RA, Bruyland M, Nuyens Z, Stadnik T, Solheid C, Ebinger G. Non-traumatic subdural hygroma. Acta Neurol Belg 1989; 89 (05) 352-357
- 14 Koizumi H, Fukamachi A, Nukui H. Postoperative subdural fluid collections in neurosurgery. Surg Neurol 1987; 27 (02) 147-153
- 15 Hasegawa M, Yamashima T, Yamashita J, Suzuki M, Shimada S. Traumatic subdural hygroma: pathology and meningeal enhancement on magnetic resonance imaging. Neurosurgery 1992; 31 (03) 580-585