Subscribe to RSS
Analysis of Vitamin D Receptor Gene Polymorphism in Chronic Periodontitis among Saudi PopulationFunding None.
Objective Genetic and environmental factors have important roles in the development of periodontitis. We aimed to assess the relation of vitamin D receptor (VDR) ApaI and TaqI polymorphisms and the susceptibility of periodontitis in Saudi population in Makkah region.
Materials and Methods In total, 86 unrelated patients with moderate-to-severe periodontitis and 86 controls were enrolled in this study. Evaluation of the periodontal state was performed by using plaque index, bleeding on probing, probing depth, and attachment loss. Extraction of genomic DNA from peripheral blood and genotyping of VDR gene ApaI G/T (rs7975232) and TaqI T/C (rs731236) polymorphisms were performed by utilizing polymerase chain reaction and restriction digestion.
Results There were statistically significant differences between both groups regarding the mean bleeding on probing, mean probing depth, mean plaque index, and the mean attachment level (p < 0.001) indicating that the matching based on the investigated groups was adequate. The examined populations were in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium. Analysis of the genotype and allele frequencies of both VDR ApaI and TaqI single nucleotide polymorphisms revealed that they were statistically indifferent between the control group and the periodontitis subjects (p> 0.05).
Conclusion These results suggested that VDR ApaI and TaqI polymorphisms might not be related to the susceptibility of periodontal disease in the Saudi subjects in Makkah region.
KeywordsApaI - TaqI - gene polymorphism - periodontitis - vitamin D receptor - polymerase chain reaction
Article published online:
01 October 2021
© 2021. European Dental Research and Biomaterials Journal. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Newman MG, Takei HH, Klokkevold PR, Carranza FA. Newman and Carranza’s clinical periodontology. 13th ed. Philadelphia, Elsevier 2019: 342-351
- 2 Michalowicz BS, Aeppli D, Virag JG. et al Periodontal findings in adult twins. J Periodontol 1991; 62 (05) 293-299
- 3 Michalowicz BS, Diehl SR, Gunsolley JC. et al Evidence of a substantial genetic basis for risk of adult periodontitis. J Periodontol 2000; 71 (11) 1699-1707
- 4 Bayani M, Pourali M, Keivan M. Possible interaction between visfatin, periodontal infection, and other systemic diseases: a brief review of literature. Eur J Dent 2017; 11 (03) 407-410
- 5 Ohlrich EJ, Cullinan MP, Seymour GJ. The immunopathogenesis of periodontal disease. Aust Dent J 2009; 54 (Suppl. 01) S2-S10
- 6 Könönen E, Gursoy M, Gursoy UK. Periodontitis: a multifaceted disease of tooth-supporting tissues. J Clin Med 2019; 8 (08) 1135
- 7 Toy VE, Uslu MO. Do genetic polymorphisms affect susceptibility to periodontal disease? A literature review. Niger J Clin Pract 2019; 22 (04) 445-453
- 8 Chapple IL, Bouchard P, Cagetti MG. et al Interaction of lifestyle, behaviour or systemic diseases with dental caries and periodontal diseases: consensus report of group 2 of the joint EFP/ORCA workshop on the boundaries between caries and periodontal diseases. J Clin Periodontol 2017; 44 (Suppl. 18) S39-S51
- 9 Selvaraj P, Chandra G, Jawahar MS, Rani MV, Rajeshwari DN, Narayanan PR. Regulatory role of vitamin D receptor gene variants of Bsm I, Apa I, Taq I, and Fok I polymorphisms on macrophage phagocytosis and lymphoproliferative response to mycobacterium tuberculosis antigen in pulmonary tuberculosis. J Clin Immunol 2004; 24 (05) 523-532
- 10 de Souza CM, Braosi AP, Luczyszyn SM. et al Association between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to chronic kidney disease and periodontitis. Blood Purif 2007; 25 (5-6) 411-419
- 11 Germain P, Staels B, Dacquet C, Spedding M, Laudet V. Overview of nomenclature of nuclear receptors. Pharmacol Rev 2006; 58 (04) 685-704
- 12 Miyamoto K, Kesterson RA, Yamamoto H. et al Structural organization of the human vitamin D receptor chromosomal gene and its promoter. Mol Endocrinol 1997; 11 (08) 1165-1179
- 13 Mashhadiabbas F, Neamatzadeh H, Nasiri R. et al Association of vitamin D receptor BsmI, TaqI, FokI, and ApaI polymorphisms with susceptibility of chronic periodontitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis based on 38 case -control studies. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2018; 15 (03) 155-165
- 14 Heidari Z, Moudi B, Mahmoudzadeh-Sagheb H. Immunomodulatory factors gene polymorphisms in chronic periodontitis: an overview. BMC Oral Health 2019; 19 (01) 29
- 15 Inagaki K, Krall EA, Fleet JC, Garcia RI, Vitamin D. Vitamin D receptor alleles, periodontal disease progression, and tooth loss in the VA dental longitudinal study. J Periodontol 2003; 74 (02) 161-167
- 16 Ainamo J, Bay I. Problems and proposals for recording gingivitis and plaque. Int Dent J 1975; 25 (04) 229-235
- 17 O’Leary TJ, Drake RB, Naylor JE. The plaque control record. J Periodontol 1972; 43 (01) 38
- 18 Ramfjord SP, Emslie RD, Greene JC, Held AJ, Waerhaug J. Epidemiological studies of periodontal diseases. Am J Public Health Nations Health 1968; 58 (09) 1713-1722
- 19 American Academy of Periodontology. American Academy of Periodontology Task force report on the update to the 1999 classification of periodontal diseases and conditions. J Periodontol 2015; 86 (07) 835-838
- 20 Pani MA, Knapp M, Donner H. et al Vitamin D receptor allele combinations influence genetic susceptibility to type 1 diabetes in Germans. Diabetes 2000; 49 (03) 504-507
- 21 Gunes S, Sumer AP, Keles GC. et al Analysis of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms in patients with chronic periodontitis. Indian J Med Res 2008; 127 (01) 58-64
- 22 Zhang L, Meng HX, Zhao HS. et al [Correlation study on polymorphisms of vitamin D receptor gene in patients with periodontitis]. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 2010; 42 (01) 37-40
- 23 Tobón-Arroyave SI, Isaza-Guzmán DM, Pineda-Trujillo N. Association study of vitamin D receptor (VDR) - related genetic polymorphisms and their haplotypes with chronic periodontitis in Colombian population. J Clin Diagn Res 2017; 11 (02) ZC60-ZC66
- 24 Nazemisalman B, Vahabi S, Sabouri E, Hosseinpour S, Doaju S. Association of vitamin D binding protein and vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms in Iranian patients with chronic periodontitis. Odontology 2019; 107 (01) 46-53
- 25 Ho YP, Lin YC, Yang YH. et al Association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and periodontitis in a Taiwanese Han population. J Dent Sci 2017; 12 (04) 360-367
- 26 Ratheesh V, Subramanian S, Prakash PSG, Victor DJ. Evaluation of association of vitamin D receptor genetic polymorphism with severe chronic periodontitis in an ethnic Tamilian population. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 2018; 22 (10) 615-621
- 27 Marian D, Rusu D, Stratul SI, Calniceanu H, Sculean A, Anghel A. Association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms with chronic periodontitis in a population in western Romania. Oral Health Prev Dent 2019; 17 (02) 157-165
- 28 Karasneh JA, Ababneh KT, Taha AH. et al Association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms with chronic and aggressive periodontitis in Jordanian patients. Eur J Oral Sci 2013; 121 (06) 551-558
- 29 Zhang JC, Geng HO, Ma WB, Huang P, Pang RY, Zhang YH. [Association of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms with the susceptibility to chronic periodontitis of Han nationality]. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 2005; 40 (01) 50-53
- 30 Tachi Y, Shimpuku H, Nosaka Y. et al Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism is associated with chronic periodontitis. Life Sci 2003; 73 (26) 3313-3321
- 31 Martelli FS, Mengoni A, Martelli M, Rosati C, Fanti E. VDR TaqI polymorphism is associated with chronic periodontitis in Italian population. Arch Oral Biol 2011; 56 (12) 1494-1498
- 32 Nibali L, Parkar M, D’Aiuto F. et al Vitamin D receptor polymorphism (-1056 Taq-I) interacts with smoking for the presence and progression of periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 2008; 35 (07) 561-567
- 33 Cao XJ, He L, Meng HX, Li P, Chen ZB. [Relationship between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and chronic periodontitis]. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 2015; 47 (04) 697-702
- 34 Zhang L, Yin X, Wang J. et al Associations between VDR gene polymorphisms and osteoporosis risk and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sci Rep 2018; 8 (01) 981
- 35 Yu F, Cui LL, Li X. et al The genetic polymorphisms in vitamin D receptor and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: an updated meta-analysis. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2016; 25 (03) 614-624
- 36 Rai V, Abdo J, Agrawal S, Agrawal DK, Vitamin D. Vitamin D receptor polymorphism and cancer: an update. Anticancer Res 2017; 37 (08) 3991-4003
- 37 Lu S, Guo S, Hu F. et al The associations between the polymorphisms of vitamin D receptor and coronary artery disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore) 2016; 95 (21) e3467
- 38 Li L, Wan Q, Yang S, Zhao S. Impact of vitamin D receptor gene polymorphism on chronic renal failure susceptibility. Ther Apher Dial 2018; 22 (06) 575-587