Subscribe to RSS
Yoga and Meditation as an Adjunct Interventional Strategy for COVID-19 Management
Article published online:
19 July 2021
© 2021. National Academy of Medical Sciences (India). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Thakur V, Jain A. COVID 2019-suicides: a global psychological pandemic. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity 2020; 88: 952-953
- 2 Deng J, Zhou F, Hou W. et al. The prevalence of depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbances in COVID-19 patients: a meta-analysis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2021; 1486 (01) 90-111
- 3 DeLongis A, Folkman S, Lazarus RS. The impact of daily stress on health and mood: psychological and social resources as mediators. J Pers Soc Psychol 1988; 54 (03) 486-495
- 4 Duan L, Zhu G. Psychological interventions for people affected by the COVID-19 epidemic. Lancet Psychiatry 2020; 7 (04) 300-302
- 5 Cohen S, Tyrrell DA, Smith AP. Psychological stress and susceptibility to the common cold. N Engl J Med 1991; 325 (09) 606-612
- 6 Doyle WJ, Gentile DA, Cohen S. Emotional style, nasal cytokines, and illness expression after experimental rhinovirus exposure. Brain Behav Immun 2006; 20 (02) 175-181
- 7 Chubak J, McTiernan A, Sorensen B. et al. Moderate-intensity exercise reduces the incidence of colds among postmenopausal women. Am J Med 2006; 119 (11) 937-942
- 8 Nieman DC, Henson DA, Austin MD, Sha W. Upper respiratory tract infection is reduced in physically fit and active adults. Br J Sports Med 2011; 45 (12) 987-992
- 9 Gleeson M, Bishop N, Lindley MR, Mastana S. The anti-inflammatory effects of exercise: Mechanisms and implications for the prevention and treatment of disease the role of muscle mass and body temperature in the inflammatory response to upper-body exercise and heat View project Concurrent exercise View project. Artic Nat Rev Immunol. 2011; 11 (09) 607-615
- 10 Klentrou P, Cieslak T, MacNeil M, Vintinner A, Plyley M. Effect of moderate exercise on salivary immunoglobulin A and infection risk in humans. Eur J Appl Physiol 2002; 87 (02) 153-158
- 11 Sallis R, Young DR, Tartof SY. et al. Physical inactivity is associated with a higher risk for severe COVID-19 outcomes: a study in 48 440 adult patients. Br J Sports Med 2021; DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2021-104080.
- 12 Barrett B, Hayney MS, Muller D. et al. Meditation or exercise for preventing acute respiratory infection: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Fam Med 2012; 10 (04) 337-346
- 13 Vempati R, Bijlani RL, Deepak KK. The efficacy of a comprehensive lifestyle modification programme based on yoga in the management of bronchial asthma: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Pulm Med 2009; 9: 37
14 Fit India. 2020. Age appropriate fitness protocols. Available at: https://yas.nic.in/sites/default/files/Fitness%20Protocols%20for%20Age%2018- 65%20Years%20v1%20(English).pdf. Accessed June 2, 2021