Subscribe to RSS
Wrap-Clipping for Patients with Ruptured Blood Blister–Like Aneurysms of the Internal Carotid Artery: Case Series and Literature ReviewFunding This work was supported by the National Key R&D program of China with grant 2016YFC1300800 and the Beijing Municipal Administration of Hospitals' Ascent Plan with grant DFL20180801 and the Beijing Scientific and Technologic Project with grant Z201100005520021.
Objective Blood blister–like aneurysms (BBAs) of the internal carotid artery (ICA) are challenging to treat. We assessed the clinical and radiologic outcomes in patients with ruptured BBAs of the ICA treated with wrap-clipping.
Methods From November 2016 to January 2020, the clinical and radiologic data of patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) caused by ICA BBAs who underwent wrap-clipping were retrospectively analyzed. The clinical outcomes were evaluated according to the modified Rankin Scale (mRS). Radiologic follow-up examinations included digital subtraction angiography (DSA), computed tomography angiography (CTA), and magnetic resonance angiography (MRA).
Results Seven patients were enrolled in this study. All BBAs were wrap-clipped successfully, including two BBAs that exhibited intraoperative bleeding and required balloon-assistance during surgery. All patients had favorable clinical outcomes during follow-up. Among the six patients who completed the radiologic follow-up visit, one patient presented ICA occlusion at the 6-month DSA follow-up, but no neurologic dysfunction was noted. We did not observe the progression of ICA stenosis in other patients.
Conclusion All BBAs in this study were wrap-clipped successfully and completely occluded. Wrap-clipping is effective for BBAs of the ICA and has favorable clinical outcomes. A multicenter study with a large sample size and a longer radiologic follow-up is necessary.
* Xiao-Dong Zhai and Bing-Wei Song contributed equally to this paper.
Received: 11 October 2020
Accepted: 21 January 2021
Article published online:
15 November 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Nakagawa F, Kobayashi S, Takemae T, Sugita K. Aneurysms protruding from the dorsal wall of the internal carotid artery. J Neurosurg 1986; 65 (03) 303-308
- 2 Abe M, Tabuchi K, Yokoyama H, Uchino A. Blood blisterlike aneurysms of the internal carotid artery. J Neurosurg 1998; 89 (03) 419-424
- 3 Ogawa A, Suzuki M, Ogasawara K. Aneurysms at nonbranching sites in the surpaclinoid portion of the internal carotid artery: internal carotid artery trunk aneurysms. Neurosurgery 2000; 47 (03) 578-583 , discussion 583–586
- 4 Ishikawa T, Nakamura N, Houkin K, Nomura M. Pathological consideration of a “blister-like” aneurysm at the superior wall of the internal carotid artery: case report. Neurosurgery 1997; 40 (02) 403-405 , discussion 405–406
- 5 Lee SU, Kwak Y, Oh CW. et al. Pathogenesis of dorsal internal carotid artery wall aneurysms based on histopathologic examination and microscopic configuration. J Clin Neurosci 2018; 58: 181-186
- 6 Sundt Jr TM, Murphey F. Clip-grafts for aneurysm and small vessel surgery. 3. Clinical experience in intracranial internal carotid artery aneurysms. J Neurosurg 1969; 31 (01) 59-71
- 7 Kim JH, Kwon TH, Kim JH, Park YK, Chung HS. Internal carotid artery dorsal wall aneurysm with configurational change: Are they all false aneurysms?. Surg Neurol 2006; 66 (04) 441-443 , discussion 443
- 8 Regelsberger J, Matschke J, Grzyska U. et al. Blister-like aneurysms: a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. Neurosurg Rev 2011; 34 (04) 409-416
- 9 Peschillo S, Cannizzaro D, Caporlingua A, Missori P. A systematic review and meta-analysis of treatment and outcome of blister-like aneurysms. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2016; 37 (05) 856-861
- 10 McLaughlin N, Laroche M, Bojanowski MW. Blister-like aneurysms of the internal carotid artery: management considerations. Neurochirurgie 2012; 58 (2–3): 170-186
- 11 Hao X, Li G, Ren J, Li J, He C, Zhang HQ. Endovascular patch embolization for blood blister-like aneurysms in dorsal segment of internal carotid artery. World Neurosurg 2018; 113: 26-32
- 12 Zhu D, Yan Y, Zhao P. et al. Safety and efficacy of flow diverter treatment for blood blister-like aneurysm: a systematic review and meta-analysis. World Neurosurg 2018; 118: e79-e86
- 13 Zhu D, Fang Y, Yang P. et al. Overlapped stenting combined with coiling for blood blister-like aneurysms: comparison of low-profile visualized intraluminal support (LVIS) stent and non-LVIS stent. World Neurosurg 2017; 104: 729-735
- 14 Fang Y, Zhu D, Peng Y. et al. Treatment of blood blister-like aneurysms with stent-assisted coiling: a retrospective multicenter study. World Neurosurg 2019; 126: e486-e491
- 15 Meling TR. What are the treatment options for blister-like aneurysms?. Neurosurg Rev 2017; 40 (04) 587-593
- 16 Meling TR, Patet G. Clip-wrapping of ruptured blood blister-like aneurysms of the internal carotid artery. Neurosurg Rev 2019
- 17 Pahl FH, de Oliveira MF, Teles Gomes MdeQ, Capel Cardoso AC, Rotta JM. Blister-like aneurysms: report of successful surgical treatment of consecutive cases and review of the literature. World Neurosurg 2016; 89: 376-381
- 18 Zhao Y, Zhang Q, Wang S, Zhang D, Zhang Y, Zhao Y. Comparison of radiological and clinical characteristics between blood blister-like aneurysms (BBAs) and non-blister aneurysms at the supraclinoid segment of internal carotid artery. Neurosurg Rev 2019; 42 (02) 549-557
- 19 Zeineddine HA, Jones W, Conner CR, Simpson B, Blackburn S, Day AL. Spontaneous healing of a ruptured blood blister-like aneurysm. World Neurosurg 2018; 119: 85-88
- 20 Szmuda T, Sloniewski P, Waszak PM, Springer J, Szmuda M. Towards a new treatment paradigm for ruptured blood blister-like aneurysms of the internal carotid artery? A rapid systematic review. J Neurointerv Surg 2016; 8 (05) 488-494
- 21 Kawashima A, Okada Y, Kawamata T, Onda H, Kubo O, Hori T. Successful treatment of a blood blister-like aneurysm of the internal carotid artery by trapping with a high-flow bypass. J Clin Neurosci 2008; 15 (07) 797-800
- 22 Sorimachi T, Osada T, Hirayama A, Shigematsu H, Srivatanakul K, Matsumae M. Preservation of anterior choroidal artery blood flow during trapping of the internal carotid artery for a ruptured blood blister-like aneurysm with high-flow bypass. World Neurosurg 2019; 122: e847-e855
- 23 Kazumata K, Nakayama N, Nakamura T, Kamiyama H, Terasaka S, Houkin K. Changing treatment strategy from clipping to radial artery graft bypass and parent artery sacrifice in patients with ruptured blister-like internal carotid artery aneurysms. Neurosurgery 2014; 10 (Suppl. 01) 66-72 , discussion 73
- 24 Kikkawa Y, Ikeda T, Takeda R. et al. Results of early high-flow bypass and trapping for ruptured blood blister-like aneurysms of the internal carotid artery. World Neurosurg 2017; 105: 470-477
- 25 Chen R, Xiao A, Li H, Ma L, Lin S, You C. Blood blister-like aneurysms in Tibetans: a retrospective observational study. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2017; 156: 18-23
- 26 Park JH, Park IS, Han DH. et al. Endovascular treatment of blood blister-like aneurysms of the internal carotid artery. J Neurosurg 2007; 106 (05) 812-819
- 27 Rouchaud A, Brinjikji W, Cloft HJ, Kallmes DF. Endovascular treatment of ruptured blister-like aneurysms: a systematic review and meta-analysis with focus on deconstructive versus reconstructive and flow-diverter treatments. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2015; 36 (12) 2331-2339
- 28 Fang C, Tan HQ, Han HJ. et al. Endovascular isolation of intracranial blood blister-like aneurysms with Willis covered stent. J Neurointerv Surg 2017; 9 (10) 963-968
- 29 Mokin M, Chinea A, Primiani CT. et al. Treatment of blood blister aneurysms of the internal carotid artery with flow diversion. J Neurointerv Surg 2018; 10 (11) 1074-1078
- 30 Lozupone E, Piano M, Valvassori L. et al. Flow diverter devices in ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a single-center experience. J Neurosurg 2018; 128 (04) 1037-1043
- 31 Gonzalez AM, Narata AP, Yilmaz H. et al. Blood blister-like aneurysms: single center experience and systematic literature review. Eur J Radiol 2014; 83 (01) 197-205
- 32 Cerejo R, Bain M, John S. et al. Flow diverter treatment of cerebral blister aneurysms. Neuroradiology 2017; 59 (12) 1285-1290
- 33 Liu Y, Yang HF, Xiong ZY. et al. Efficacy and safety of Willis covered stent for treatment of complex vascular diseases of the internal carotid artery. Ann Vasc Surg 2019; 61: 203-211
- 34 Zhang Y, Zhang Y, Liang F, Jiang C. Procedure-related complication of Willis covered stent in the treatment of blood blister-like aneurysm: stent detachment from dilating balloon. Front Neurol 2017; 8: 639