Subscribe to RSS
Secondary Immune Thrombocytopenia (ITP) Associated with ChAdOx1 Covid-19 Vaccination – A Case Report
Novel mRNA and vector-based covid-19 vaccinations have shown high efficacy in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 infections. Compared with the number of performed vaccinations, rates of severe side effects seem low. Rare prothrombotic coagulation disorders with suspected association to ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (AstraZeneca) have been reported. These cases have gathered considerable media attention and caused a temporary pause of usage of the AstraZeneca vaccine in Europe and several other countries and are currently discussed as vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT). However, hemorrhagic complications from ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccination have also been reported but, so far, received less public attention despite considerable potential for life-threatening complications. Here we present a case of severe immune thrombocytopenia after ChAdOx1 covid-19 vaccination and its successful primary management.
Keywordsthrombocytopenia - platelet pathology / inherited - aquired - infectious diseases - Covid Vaccination - ITP - ITP associated with Covid vaccination - ITP associated with AstraZeneca Covid vaccination - secondary ITP
MK, SF, JBW wrote this paper; MK, JF, SvB, MM, were involved in the clinical care of this patient and supported the critical revision of the manuscript.
Received: 02 April 2021
Accepted: 08 June 2021
Article published online:
30 July 2021
© 2021. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Chiasakul T, Cuker A. Clinical and laboratory diagnosis of TTP: an integrated approach. Hematology (Am Soc Hematol Educ Program) 2018; 2018 (01) 530-538 DOI: 10.1182/asheducation-2018.1.530.
- 2 Greinacher A, Thiele T, Warkentin TE, Weisser K, Kyrle PA, Eichinger S. Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia after ChAdOx1 nCov-19 Vaccination. N Engl J Med 2021; 384 (22) 2092-2101 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2104840.
- 3 1GTHGesellschaft für Thrombose-und Hämostaseforschung e.V. GTH-Statement-AstraZeneca_englisch_4–1-2021. 01st of 2021. Published April 1, 2021. Accessed April 22, 2021. https://gth-online.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/GTH-Statement-AstraZeneca_englisch_4-1-2021.pdf
- 4 Nazy I, Sachs UJ, Arnold DM. et al. Recommendations for the clinical and laboratory diagnosis of VITT against COVID-19: Communication from the ISTH SSC Subcommittee on Platelet Immunology. J Thromb Haemost 2021; 19 (06) 1585-1588
- 5 Moulis G, Palmaro A, Montastruc J-L, Godeau B, Lapeyre-Mestre M, Sailler L. Epidemiology of incident immune thrombocytopenia: a nationwide population-based study in France. Blood 2014; 124 (22) 3308-3315 DOI: 10.1182/blood-2014-05-578336.
- 6 Terrell DR, Beebe LA, Vesely SK, Neas BR, Segal JB, George JN. The incidence of immune thrombocytopenic purpura in children and adults: A critical review of published reports. American journal of hematology. 174-180
- 7 Cines DB, Bussel JB, Liebman HA, Luning Prak ET. The ITP syndrome: pathogenic and clinical diversity. Blood 2009; 113 (26) 6511-6521 DOI: 10.1182/blood-2009-01-129155.
- 8 Isai A, Durand J, Le Meur S, Hidalgo-Simon A, Kurz X. Autoimmune disorders after immunisation with Influenza A/H1N1 vaccines with and without adjuvant: EudraVigilance data and literature review. Vaccine. 7123-7129
- 9 David P, Shoenfeld Y. ITP following vaccination. Int J Infect Dis 2020; 99: 243-244 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijid.2020.07.085.
- 10 Voysey M, Clemens SAC, Madhi SA. et al; Oxford COVID Vaccine Trial Group. Safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) against SARS-CoV-2: an interim analysis of four randomised controlled trials in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK. Lancet 2021; 397 (10269): 99-111 DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32661-1.
- 11 AstraZeneca Global Media Relations Team. Update on the safety of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. Accessed March 27, 2021. https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/update-on-the-safety-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca.html
- 12 EudraVigilance. EudraVigilance for COVID-19 VACCINE ASTRAZENECA (CHADOX1 NCOV-19). Accessed March 22, 2021. https://dap.ema.europa.eu/analytics/saw.dll?PortalPages
- 13 EMA safety committee P. COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca: benefits still outweigh the risks despite possible link to rare blood clots with low blood platelets. Accessed April 1, 2021. https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-benefits-still-outweigh-risks-despite-possible-link-rare-blood-clots
- 14 Scully M, Singh D, Lown R. et al. Pathologic Antibodies to Platelet Factor 4 after ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Vaccination. N Engl J Med 2021; 384 (23) 2202-2211 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2105385.
- 15 Schultz NH, Sørvoll IH, Michelsen AE. et al. Thrombosis and Thrombocytopenia after ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Vaccination. N Engl J Med 2021; 384 (22) 2124-2130 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2104882.
- 16 European Medicines Agency. COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca - Embolic and thrombotic events - PRAC Rapp AR & recommendation. Accessed April 1, 2021. https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/prac-recommendation/signal-assessment-report-embolic-thrombotic-events-smq-covid-19-vaccine-chadox1-s-recombinant-covid_en.pdf
- 17 Grady D, Mazzei P. Doctor's Death After Getting the Covid-19 Vaccine Is Investigated. The New York Times. Published January 12, 2021. Accessed March 25, 2021. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/health/covid-vaccine-death.html
- 18 Tarawneh O, Tarawneh H. Immune thrombocytopenia in a 22-year-old post Covid-19 vaccine. Am J Hematol 2021; 96 (05) E133-E134 DOI: 10.1002/ajh.26106.
- 19 Toom S, Wolf B, Avula A, Peeke S, Becker K. Familial thrombocytopenia flare-up following the first dose of mRNA-1273 Covid-19 vaccine. American journal of hematology. . Published 2021
- 20 Lee E-J, Cines DB, Gernsheimer T. et al. Thrombocytopenia following Pfizer and Moderna SARS-CoV-2 vaccination. Am J Hematol 2021; 96 (05) 534-537 DOI: 10.1002/ajh.26132.
- 21 Bhattacharjee S, Banerjee M. Immune Thrombocytopenia Secondary to COVID-19: a Systematic Review. SN Compr Clin Med 2020; •••: 1-11 DOI: 10.1007/s42399-020-00521-8.
- 22 Kewan T, Gunaratne TN, Mushtaq K, Alayan D, Daw H, Haddad A. Outcomes and management of immune thrombocytopenia secondary to COVID-19: Cleveland clinic experience. Transfusion 2021; ••• DOI: 10.1111/trf.16368.