Subscribe to RSS
Homeopathic Treatment of Subclinical Hypothyroidism—A Series of 19 Cases
Background Subclinical hypothyroidism (SCH) is a common clinical problem. Controversy surrounds the definition, clinical importance, and need for prompt diagnosis and treatment of the mild form of SCH.
Aim The aim of the study was to analyze the evolution of serum thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels after a therapeutic homeopathic intervention in women older than 40 years with SCH.
Methods This study is a retrospective series of 19 cases of SCH, with serum TSH levels between 5 and 10 mIU/L, treated exclusively with homeopathic medicines prescribed on an individualized basis.
Results Nineteen patients were included according to the inclusion and exclusion criteria. Their mean age was 56 years, they were followed for a mean duration of 69 months, the mean number of serum TSH level measurements was 18, and the intervention was successful for 13 patients.
Conclusion The homeopathic therapeutic intervention was successful in 68% of the patients, with serum TSH levels back within the normal range (0.5–5.0 mIU/L).
Received: 06 February 2021
Accepted: 28 June 2021
Article published online:
10 December 2021
© 2021. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Gharib H, Tuttle RM, Baskin HJ, Fish LH, Singer PA, McDermott MT. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction: a joint statement on management from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Thyroid Association, and the Endocrine Society. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 581-585 , discussion 586–587
- 2 Surks MI, Ortiz E, Daniels GH. et al. Subclinical thyroid disease: scientific review and guidelines for diagnosis and management. JAMA 2004; 291: 228-238
- 3 Garber JR, Cobin RH, Gharib H. et al. Clinical practice guidelines for hypothyroidism in adults: cosponsored by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the American Thyroid Association. Endocr Pract 2012; 18: 988-1028
- 4 Kane RL, Ouslander JG, Resnick B, Malone ML. editors. Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics. 8th ed.. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2017. . Decreased vitality: 303-341
- 5 Villar HCCE, Saconato H, Valente O, Atallah AN. Thyroid hormone replacement for subclinical hypothyroidism. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; CD003419
- 6 Biondi B, Cappola AR, Cooper DS. Subclinical hypothyroidism: a review. JAMA 2019; 322: 153-160
- 7 Peeters RP. Subclinical hypothyroidism. N Engl J Med 2017; 376: 2556-2565
- 8 Cappola AR. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the heart. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 3404-3405
- 9 Floriani C, Gencer B, Collet TH, Rodondi N. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and cardiovascular diseases: 2016 update. Eur Heart J 2018; 39: 503-507
- 10 Chauhan VK, Manchanda RK, Narang A. et al. Efficacy of homeopathic intervention in subclinical hypothyroidism with or without autoimmune thyroiditis in children: an exploratory randomized control study. Homeopathy 2014; 103: 224-231
- 11 van Haselen RA. Homeopathic clinical case reports: development of a supplement (HOM-CASE) to the CARE clinical case reporting guideline. Complement Ther Med 2016; 25: 78-85
- 12 Surks MI, Goswami G, Daniels GH. The thyrotropin reference range should remain unchanged. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 5489-5496
- 13 Demarque D. L' Homéopathie Médecine de l'Expérience. Reissue Messimy; Boiron: 2001
- 14 Julian OA. Dictionnaire de Matière Médicale Homéopathique: Les 130 nouveaux homeothérapiques. Paris: Masson; 1981
- 15 da Costa RA. Homeopatia Atualizada: Escola Brasileira. 3 ed.. Petrópolis: Vozes; 1988
- 16 Zissu R. Matiere Medicale Homeopathique Constitutionnelle. 2nd ed, 2nd impression. Messimy: Boiron; 1989
- 17 Guermonprez M, Pinkas M, Tork M. Matiere Medicale Homeopathique. Saint-Foy-Lès-Lyon: Boiron; 1989
- 18 Dantas F. Do homeopathic medicines cause drug-dependent adverse effects or aggravations?. Rev Homeop 2017; 80: 174-182