Subscribe to RSS
Non-invasive Resolution of Pathological Ovarian Masses with Homeopathic Treatment—A Case SeriesFunding None.
Background Ovarian masses may be either physiological or pathological. Physiological ovarian masses are non-neoplastic. Pathological masses grow more than 7 cm and persist beyond 3 months; they do not resolve spontaneously, and invasive surgery with removal of reproductive organs is the conventional treatment. It usually results in further co-morbidities and hampers the quality of life of the patient.
Objectives This case series of pathological left ovarian masses demonstrates the role of homeopathic treatment in each of two multiparous women where the right ovary was surgically removed previously for similar pathology and in an adolescent girl with increased tumor marker CA-125.
Methods Three cases of women with pathological ovarian masses in the left ovary, and advised invasive surgery by attending gynecologists, were treated with homeopathic medicines at the outpatient department of the National Homeopathy Research Institute in Mental Health, Kottayam, Kerala, from 2017 to 2020. Each case was followed up with clinical and ultrasonographic evidence and reported according to the criteria set out in the HOM-CASE guidelines.
Result Complete resolution of the ovarian masses was observed in all three cases, evidenced by ultrasonography, with normalizing CA-125 values also observed in the case of endometrial cyst. The patients improved within 4 to 15 months of treatment using Thuja and other individualized homeopathic medicines. The MONARCH score was calculated as +7/13, +9/13, and +9/13 for the three cases, respectively, indicating a positive causal attribution of homeopathy in the resolution of these pathological ovarian masses.
Conclusion This case series suggests that individualized homeopathy, and notably Thuja, can be useful in the treatment of pathological ovarian masses.
Received: 06 March 2021
Accepted: 16 August 2021
Article published online:
27 December 2021
© 2021. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Padubidri V. Howkins and Bourne Shaw S. Textbook of Gynaecology. 16th ed. Elsevier India; 2015: 429-434
- 2 Grimes DA, Jones LB, Lopez LM, Schulz KF. Oral contraceptives for functional ovarian cysts. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; CD006134
- 3 Ross E, Fortin C. Ovarian cysts. Cleveland Clinic. 2016 . Accessed December 25, 2020 at: https://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/womens-health/ovarian-cysts
- 4 Knudsen UB, Tabor A, Mosgaard B. et al. Management of ovarian cysts. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2004; 83: 1012-1021
- 5 Jain KA. Sonographic spectrum of hemorrhagic ovarian cysts. J Ultrasound Med 2002; 21: 879-886
- 6 van Haselen RA. Homeopathic clinical case reports: development of a supplement (HOM-CASE) to the CARE clinical case reporting guideline. Complement Ther Med 2016; 25: 78-85
- 7 Lamba CD, Gupta VK, van Haselen R. et al. Evaluation of the modified Naranjo criteria for assessing causal attribution of clinical outcome to homeopathic intervention as presented in case reports. Homeopathy 2020; 109: 191-197
- 8 Gimeno MLQ. Homeopathic treatment of ovarian cysts: a series of 40 cases. Br Homeopath J 1991; 80: 143-148
- 9 Deep A. A case of haemorrhagic ovarian cyst cured with homoeopathic similimum. Int J Res AYUSH Pharm Sci 2020; 4: 385-387
- 10 Mukherjee A. Classical homoeopathic approach in the treatment of bilateral ovarian cyst: a case report. Clinical and Experimental Homeopathy 2019; 6: 17-21
- 11 Kumari P. Hemorrhagic ovarian cyst treated with constitutional homeopathy: a case report. Int J Hum Sci 2020; 4: 143-147
- 12 Singh P. Ovarian cyst and homeopathy: a case. Tantia University Journal of Homeopathy and Medical Science 2020; 3: 122-126
- 13 Hahnemann S. The Chronic Diseases, their Peculiar Nature and their Homeopathic Cure. Vol 1. 13th Impression. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers Pvt Ltd; 2011: 83-85
- 14 Master FJ. Sycotic shame. 2nd Revised ed.. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers Pvt Ltd; 2003: 63-70
- 15 Kent JT. Lectures on Homeopathic Materia Medica. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers Pvt Ltd; 2002: 996-1000
- 16 Blackwood AI. A Manual of Materia Medica, Therapeutics and Pharmacology, with Clinical Index. 1st Indian ed.. Calcutta: Economic Homeo Pharmacy; 1959: 582-583
- 17 Clarke JH. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica. Vol 3. 1st ed. New Delhi: Jain Publishing & Co; 1978: 1419-1437
- 18 Boericke W. Boericke's New Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica with Repertory. 3rd Revised & Augmented ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers Pvt Ltd; 2018: 565-567
- 19 Boger CM. A Synoptic Key to the Materia Medica: a Treatise for Homeopathic Students. Rearranged & Augmented ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers Pvt Ltd; 2007: 274-275
- 20 Allen TF. The Encyclopedia of Pure Materia Medica. Vol 9. Reprint ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers Pvt Ltd; 2005: 596-712