Subscribe to RSS
Anxiety and Depression among Family Caregivers of Children with Epilepsy in Burkina Faso
Background Epilepsy is a common and chronic neurological disorder influencing children's cognitive and behavioral performance. Primary caregivers of children with epilepsy (CWE) report high levels of depression and anxiety.
Patients and Methods We performed a cross-sectional study on caregivers of CWE in the Neurology Department of Yalgado Ouédraogo University Teaching Hospital from May 7, 2020 to August 18, 2020. The State-Trait Anxiety Inventory scale and Beck Depression Inventory scale were assessed to screen anxiety and depression.
Results One hundred caregivers with a mean age of 37.75 ± 10.69 years were included in the study. The majority of them were female gender (73%), aged <40 years (59%), and residing in rural areas (79%). Most of caregivers were female gender (73%) and the mothers of children (67%). The majority of CWE were boys (55%), having generalized epilepsy (55%) and epilepsy duration less than 6 years (74%). Anxiety was observed in 56%, depression in 27%, and both anxiety and depression in 23% of caregivers. The factors influencing anxiety among caregivers were female gender (p = 0.04), being patient's mothers (p = 0.04), and caring male patients (p = 0.04). The factors associated with caregiver's depression were being married (p = 0.03) and caring patients with five seizures per year (p = 0.04).
Conclusion Our study revealed very high rates of anxiety and depressive disorder among caregivers of CWE in Burkina Faso.
Ethical Approval and Consent to Participate
The confidentiality of patients data was taken into account and the informed oral consent of the parents was obtained before the start of the interview. Parents suspected of having generalized anxiety or depressive disorder were referred to the psychiatric department of management
A.A.D., B.B., A.D., Z.B., and J.M.A.K. had contributed to the data collection or processing, analysis or interpretation, literature research and writing. C.N., K.K., and J.K. had contributed to concept and design of the study. All the authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Article published online:
18 February 2022
© 2022. Indian Epilepsy Society. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Hernandez MT, Sauerwein HC, Jambaqué I. et al. Attention, memory, and behavioral adjustment in children with frontal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav 2003; 4 (05) 522-536
- 2 Williams J, Steel C, Sharp GB. et al. Parental anxiety and quality of life in children with epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav 2003; 4 (05) 483-486
- 3 Amudhan S, Gururaj G, Satishchandra P. Epilepsy in India II: Impact, burden, and need for a multisectoral public health response. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2015; 18 (04) 369-381
- 4 Li Y, Ji CY, Qin J, Zhang ZX. Parental anxiety and quality of life of epileptic children. Biomed Environ Sci 2008; 21 (03) 228-232
- 5 Wood LJ, Sherman EM, Hamiwka LD, Blackman MA, Wirrell EC. Maternal depression: the cost of caring for a child with intractable epilepsy. Pediatr Neurol 2008; 39 (06) 418-22.2
- 6 Singer GH. Meta-analysis of comparative studies of depression in mothers of children with and without developmental disabilities. Am J Ment Retard 2006; 111 (03) 155-169
- 7 Baki O, Erdogan A, Kantarci O, Akisik G, Kayaalp L, Yalcinkaya C. Anxiety and depression in children with epilepsy and their mothers. Epilepsy Behav 2004; 5 (06) 958-964
- 8 Babalola EO, Adebowal TO, Onifade P, Adelufosi AO. Prevalence and correlates of generalized anxiety disorder and depression among caregivers of children and adolescents with seizure disorders. J Behav Health 2014; 3 (02) 122-127
- 9 Yusuf AJ, Nuhu FT, Olisah VO. Emotional distress among caregivers of patients with epilepsy in Katsina State, Northern Nigeria. Afr J Psychiatry (Johannesbg) 2013; 16 (01) 41-44
- 10 Dabilgou A, Nanema D, Dravé A. et al. Symptoms of depression and associated risk factors in patients with epilepsy in Burkina Faso. OJD 2019; 08 (01) 29-40
- 11 Steer RA, Cavalieri TA, Leonard DM, Beck AT. Use of the beck depression inventory for primary care to screen for major depression disorders. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 1999; 21 (02) 106-111
- 12 Areán PA, Reynolds III CF. The impact of psychosocial factors on late-life depression. Biol Psychiatry 2005; 58 (04) 277-282
- 13 Beck AT, Steer RA, Brown GK. BDI-Fast Screen for Medical Patients. San Antonio, TX: Pearson; 2000
- 14 Czyżewska P, Talarska D, Grabowska-Fudala B, Michalak M, Bączyk G. Feeling of care burden in parents looking after children with epilepsy. Epileptologia 2011; 19: 91-97
- 15 Abbas Z, Elseed MA, Mohammed IN. The quality of life among Sudanese children with epilepsy and their care givers. Sudan J Paediatr 2014; 14 (01) 51-58
- 16 Abd El-Mouty SM, Salem NM. Burden and quality of life among caregivers to children with epilepsy. Am J Nurs Res 2019; 7: 817-823
- 17 Pokharel R, Poudel P, Lama S, Thapa K, Sigdel R, Shrestha E. Burden and its predictors among caregivers of patient with epilepsy. J Epilepsy Res 2020; 10 (01) 24-30
- 18 Jones C, Reilly C. Parental anxiety in childhood epilepsy: a systematic review. Epilepsia 2016; 57 (04) 529-537
- 19 Shariff EM, Sinha S, Samman SK, ElBakri NK, Siddiqui KA, Mahmoud AA. Depression and anxiety in parents of children with epilepsy. Are fathers involved?. Neurosciences (Riyadh) 2013; 18 (02) 183-184
- 20 Hussain SA, Ortendahl JD, Bentley TGK. et al. The economic burden of caregiving in epilepsy: an estimate based on a survey of US caregivers. Epilepsia 2020; 61 (02) 319-329
- 21 Kahouei M, Safavi M, Parsania Z. et al. Mental health and coping styles in families of epileptic patients in Iran. Soc Sci 2012; 7 (01) 130-133
- 22 Yang C, Yao T, Huang Y, Zhao L, Zhang L. Prevalence and influencing factors of depression of caregivers in children with epilepsy in southwestern China: a cross-sectional study. Medicine 2021; 100 (10) e23571
- 23 Lv R, Wu L, Jin L. et al. Depression, anxiety and quality of life in parents of children with epilepsy. Acta Neurol Scand 2009; 120 (05) 335-341
- 24 Ferro MA, Speechley KN. Examining clinically relevant levels of depressive symptoms in mothers following a diagnosis of epilepsy in their children: a prospective analysis. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2012; 47 (09) 1419-1428
- 25 Reilly C, Atkinson P, Memon A. et al. Symptoms of depression, anxiety, and stress in parents of young children with epilepsy: a case controlled population-based study. Epilepsy Behav 2018; 80: 177-183
- 26 Asamoah F, Sarfo LA, Awuah-Peasah D. The role of mothers in the care of children under five years on admission. Int J Res Soc Sci 2013; 1: 18-27
- 27 Eseigbe EE, Anyiam JO, Wammanda RD. Care of the child with special health care needs: a report on 2 Nigerian children with muscular dystrophy. Ann Niger Med 2006; 2: 29-31
- 28 Aderibigbe A, Gureje O. Socioeconomic factors associated with emotional disorders. BMJ 1992; 23: 110-116
- 29 Ghaith RFAH, Mohammed SFM. Depression and coping patterns in mothers caring for children with epilepsy. Am J Nurs Res 2020; 8 (02) 303-311
- 30 Riechmann J, Willems LM, Boor R. et al. Quality of life and correlating factors in children, adolescents with epilepsy, and their caregivers: a cross-sectional multicenter study from Germany. Seizure 2019; 69: 92-98