Subscribe to RSS
Extrapleural Pneumonectomy for Sarcoma of the Lung in a Pediatric Patient
Pediatric sarcomas are rare entities. Bone sarcomas and rhabdomyosarcoma are most common, whereas primary sarcoma of the lung is extremely uncommon. Pneumonectomy is only very infrequently performed in the pediatric population. We report on a 16-year-old girl with an undifferentiated high-grade pleomorphic sarcoma of the left lung. There was no comorbidity and no history of previous malignant disease. The huge tumor originated from the left lower lobe and had spread to the left pleura. As part of a multimodal approach, she underwent extrapleural pneumonectomy with en bloc resection of the pleura, lung, pericardium, and diaphragm.
This study was presented at the 29th European Conference on General Thoracic Surgery, June 20–22, 2021 (Virtual ESTS Meeting).
Received: 07 July 2021
Accepted: 18 November 2021
Article published online:
03 March 2022
© 2022. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Blyth DF, Buckels NJ, Sewsunker R, Soni MA. Pneumonectomy in children. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2002; 22 (04) 587-594
- 2 Flores RM, Su W, Lal D, Rusch VW, La Quaglia MP. Extrapleural pneumonectomy in children. J Pediatr Surg 2006; 41 (10) 1738-1742
- 3 Loeb DM, Thornton K, Shokek O. Pediatric soft tissue sarcomas. Surg Clin North Am 2008; 88 (03) 615-627, vii vii.
- 4 Alaggio R, Collini P, Randall RL, Barnette P, Million L, Coffin CM. Undifferentiated high-grade pleomorphic sarcomas in children: a clinicopathologic study of 10 cases and review of literature. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2010; 13 (03) 209-217
- 5 Thway K, Jones RL, Noujaim J, Fisher C. Epithelioid sarcoma: diagnostic features and genetics. Adv Anat Pathol 2016; 23 (01) 41-49
- 6 Harwood JL, Alexander JH, Mayerson JL, Scharschmidt TJ. Targeted chemotherapy in bone and soft-tissue sarcoma. Orthop Clin North Am 2015; 46 (04) 587-608
- 7 Cohen JW, Akshintala S, Kane E. et al. A systematic review of pediatric phase I trials in oncology: toxicity and outcomes in the era of targeted therapies. Oncologist 2020; 25 (06) 532-540
- 8 Felkai L, Bánusz R, Kovalszky I. et al. The presence of ALK alterations and clinical relevance of crizotinib treatment in pediatric solid tumors. Pathol Oncol Res 2019; 25 (01) 217-224