Subscribe to RSS
Effectiveness of Arsenicum album 30C in Prevention of COVID-19 in Individuals Residing in Containment Zones of Delhi—A Prospective, Community-based, Parallel Cohort StudyFunding This study was funded by the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy, New Delhi, India.
Objective This work was undertaken to evaluate the protective effect of Arsenicum album 30C against COVID-19.
Design The work was designed as a prospective parallel cluster cohort study.
Intervention Participants were enrolled in a homeopathy intervention (HI) cohort (who received Arsenicum album) or in a non-intervention (NI) cohort (who received no systematic intervention) from COVID-19 containment areas of Delhi. Individuals of age 5 years or above were given four medicated pills of Arsenicum album 30C, while those from 1 to 5 years old were given two medicated pills in each dose.
Results The analysis included 10,180 individuals residing in 11 COVID-19 containment areas in Delhi, out of which 6,590 individuals were in the HI cohort and 3,590 individuals were in the NI cohort. The overall protective effect of Arsenicum album 30C was 83.43% (95% confidence interval [CI], 76.77 to 88.17): 45 cases per 6,590 (8.34 per 10,000 person-weeks) in the Arsenicum album 30C group versus 143 cases per 3,590 (45.01 per 10,000 person-weeks) in the NI cohort. The protective effect of Arsenicum album 30C against laboratory confirmed COVID-19 was 74.40% (95% CI, 55.08 to 85.41): 18 cases per 6,590 (3.32 per 10,000 person-weeks) in the Arsenicum album 30C group versus 38 cases per 3,590 (11.85 per 10,000 person-weeks) in the NI cohort.
Conclusion The use of Arsenicum album 30C was associated with some protection against probable and laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 in a containment-zone setting. Randomized controlled trials are needed to confirm or refute these results.
Glossary of Indian Medicinal Terms
The common name for Tinospora cordifolia, which is a medicinal plant that has been used in folk and Ayurvedic medicines throughout India since ancient times. All the parts of the plant are useful due to the presence of different compounds of pharmaceutical importance, belonging to various groups such as alkaloids, diterpenoid lactones, glycosides, steroids, sesquiterpenoids, and phenolics.
Otherwise called 'golden milk', it is prepared by mixing turmeric powder with hot milk.
An Ayurvedic formulation, considered as a rasayana('rejuvenation' medicine) in Ayurveda, characterized by benefits of maintaining vigor and vitality via antioxidant and immuno-stimulatory action. Chyawanprash is a combination of more than 40 herbs in appropriate proportions, prepared in a base of Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis) fruit pulp.
Made from Tulsi (basil), Dalchini (cinnamon), Kali mirch (black pepper), Shunthi (dry ginger) and Munakka (raisin).
Received: 21 July 2021
Accepted: 14 December 2021
Article published online:
29 June 2022
© 2022. Faculty of Homeopathy. This article is published by Thieme.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 World Health Organization. WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 11 March 2020. 2020 Accessed June 11, 2021 at: https://www.who.int/director-general/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19—11-march-2020
- 2 World Health Organization. Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard. Accessed July 19, 2021 at: https://covid19.who.int
- 3 Thapar K. “Why Authorise a Vaccine Without Phase 3 Efficacy?”: Gagandeep Kang.. The Wire Science. Accessed June 11, 2021 at: https://science.thewire.in/health/watch-bharat-biotech-covaxin-astrazenca-covid-vaccine-gagandeep-kang/
- 4 Dolgin E. COVID vaccine immunity is waning - how much does that matter?. Nature 2021; 597: 606-607
- 5 Taylor L. Why scientists worldwide are watching UK COVID infections. Nature 2021; 599: 189-190
- 6 Mallapaty S. Europe's COVID death toll could rise by hundreds of thousands. Nature 2021; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1038/d41586-021-03455-w.
- 7 Basu M. Nearly half of new Covid cases over past week in Kerala are those fully vaccinated. The Print. 2021. Accessed December 1, 2021 at: https://theprint.in/health/nearly-half-of-new-covid-cases-over-past-week-in-kerala-are-those-fully-vaccinated/762382/
- 8 Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. COVID-19 Statewise Status. 2021 . Accessed July 19, 2021 at: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
- 9 Sharma N, Sharma P, Basu S. et al. The seroprevalence and trends of SARS-CoV-2 in Delhi, India: a repeated population-based seroepidemiological study. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2022; 116: 242-251
- 10 Sharma M. One Covid-19 case led to 90 more infections: Govt analysis. India Today, 2020. Accessed January 27, 2021 at: https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavirus-outbreak/story/for-every-detected-covid-case-india-missed-90-infections-study-1750285-2020-12-17
- 11 Jacobs J. Homeopathic prevention and management of epidemic diseases. Homeopathy 2018; 107: 157-160
- 12 Varanasi R, Nayak D. Homoeopathy in the management of infectious diseases: Different facets of its use and implications for the future. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2020; 14: 110-121
- 13 Ministry of AYUSH. Advisory from Ministry of AYUSH for meeting the challenge arising out of spread of corona virus (Covid-19) in India. Accessed January 27, 2021 at: https://www.ayush.gov.in/docs/125.pdf
- 14 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 5th and 6th ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (Pvt) Ltd; 2004: 267
- 15 Ministry of Home Affairs. Guideline for containment area. 2020 Accessed January 27, 2021 at: https://www.mha.gov.in/sites/default/files/MHA
- 16 Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia of India, vol. 1. New Delhi: Govt. of India; 1971: 283
- 17 National Center for Disease Control. Revised case definition of COVID-19 (11.11.2020). Accessed January 27, 2021 at: https://ncdc.gov.in/showfile.php?
- 18 Kumar P, Kamle M, Mahato DK. et al. Tinospora cordifolia (Giloy): phytochemistry, ethnopharmacology, clinical application and conservation strategies. Curr Pharm Biotechnol 2020; 21: 1165-1175
- 19 Ministry of AYUSH. Ayurveda's immunity boosting measures for self-care during COVID 19 crisis. Accessed June 11, 2021 at: https://www.ayush.gov.in/docs/123.pdf
- 20 Madaan A, Kanjilal S, Gupta A. et al. Evaluation of immunostimulatory activity of Chyawanprash using in vitro assays. Indian J Exp Biol 2015; 53: 158-163
- 21 Indian Council of Medical Research. National Guidelines for Ethics Committees Reviewing Biomedical & Health Research During Covid-19 Pandemic. 1st ed. Indian Council of Medical Research, 2020. Accessed June 11, 2021
- 22 Struyf T, Deeks JJ, Dinnes J. et al Signs and symptoms to determine if a patient presenting in primary care or hospital outpatient settings has COVID-19 disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2020; 7: CD013665
- 23 Dixon BE, Wools-Kaloustian KK, Fadel WF. et al. Symptoms and symptom clusters associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection in community-based populations: results from a statewide epidemiological study. PLoS One 2021; 16: e0241875
- 24 The World Bank. Population, total—India. Accessed June 11, 2021 at: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.TOTL?locations=IN
- 25 Tandon N, Anjana RM, Mohan V. et al The increasing burden of diabetes and variations among the states of India: the Global Burden of Disease Study 1990-2016. Lancet Glob Health 2018; 6: e1352-e1362
- 26 Anchala R, Kannuri NK, Pant H. et al. Hypertension in India: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prevalence, awareness, and control of hypertension. J Hypertens 2014; 32: 1170-1177
- 27 Kamath S, Kamath R, Salins P. COVID-19 pandemic in India: challenges and silver linings. Postgrad Med J 2020; 96: 422-423
- 28 Press Trust of India. Homeopathic drug given to half of Gujarat population since March. The Times of India. Accessed January 20, 2021 at: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/homeopathic-drug-given-to-half-of-gujarat-population-since-march/articleshow/77702926.cms
- 29 Varma A. COVID-19: Kerala Govt distributes homeopathy medicines to 45 lakh people to boost immunity. Republic World. Accessed January 20, 2021 at: https://www.republicworld.com/india-news/general-news/covid-19-kerala-govt-distributes-homeopathy-medicines-to-45-lakh-peop.html
- 30 Khanna B. Citizens rush to homeopathic centres for magic immunity pills. The New Indian Express, 2020. Accessed January 20, 2021 at: https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/karnataka/2020/jun/30/citizens-rush-to-homeopathic-centres-for-magic-immunity-pills-2163139.html
- 31 Chakraborty R. Homeopathy pills for patients from two Mumbai wards with most cases. The Hindustan Times, 2020. Accessed June 11, 2021 at: https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/homeopathy-pills-for-patients-from-two-mumbai-wards-with-most-cases/story-4L0m00P3RGuADPOSNf1IzI.html
- 32 Nunes LADS. Contribution of homeopathy to the control of an outbreak of dengue in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro. Int J High Dilution Res 2008; 7: 186-192
- 33 Nayak D, Nayak C, Oberai P. et al. Homoeopathic Genus Epidemicus “Bryonia alba” as a prophylactic during an outbreak of Chikungunya in India: a cluster-randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2014; 8: 160-165
- 34 Bracho G, Varela E, Fernández R. et al. Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 156-166
- 35 Daruiche PSJ, Canoas WS, Figueira KAG, Peres GB. Homeopathy for COVID-19 prevention: report of an intervention at a Brazilian service sector company. Homeopathy 2022; 111: 105-112
- 36 Kestenbaum B. Epidemiology and Biostatistics: An Introduction to Clinical Research. Springer; 2019. : pp 125-142
- 37 Smith PG, Rodrigues LC, Fine PE. Assessment of the protective efficacy of vaccines against common diseases using case-control and cohort studies. Int J Epidemiol 1984; 13: 87-93
- 38 World Health Organization. Cohort study to measure COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness among health workers. Accessed June 21, 2021 at: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-EURO-2021-2141-41896-57484
- 39 Dewey W. Homeopathy in influenza—a chorus of fifty in harmony. J Am Inst Homeopath 1920/21; 13: 1038-1043
- 40 Mathie RT, Baitson ES, Frye J, Nayak C, Manchanda RK, Fisher P. Homeopathic treatment of patients with influenza-like illness during the 2009 A/H1N1 influenza pandemic in India. Homeopathy 2013; 102: 187-192