Subscribe to RSS
Two Cases of Quadricuspid Aortic Valve: Aortic Regurgitation and DegenerationFunding None.
Background Quadricuspid aortic valve is rare and occasionally associated with aortic regurgitation and ascending aortic dilatation. Recent studies suggest an association of aortic regurgitation with ascending aortic medial degeneration.
Case Description Histologic evaluation of ascending aortic tissue of two individuals with regurgitant quadricuspid aortic valve, one dilated, one non-dilated, yielded comparable degeneration in the Media.
Conclusion Regurgitation of quadricuspid aortic valve may lead to the degeneration of Tunica media of the ascending aorta.
Data Availability Statement
The data underlying this manuscript are available in the article itself.
Received: 23 December 2021
Accepted: 07 March 2022
Article published online:
19 July 2022
© 2022. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Idrees JJ, Roselli EE, Arafat A. et al. Outcomes after repair or replacement of dysfunctional quadricuspid aortic valve. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015; 150 (01) 79-82
- 2 Halushka MK, Angelini A, Bartoloni G. et al. Consensus statement on surgical pathology of the aorta from the Society for Cardiovascular Pathology and the Association For European Cardiovascular Pathology: II. Noninflammatory degenerative diseases—nomenclature and diagnostic criteria. Cardiovasc Pathol 2016; 25 (03) 247-257
- 3 Lin Y, Yin K, Wang Y. et al. Clinical characteristics and surgical outcomes of dysfunctional quadricuspid aortic valve. J Surg Res 2018; 229: 223-229
- 4 Wilton E, Jahangiri M. Post-stenotic aortic dilatation. J Cardiothorac Surg 2006; 1: 7
- 5 Balint B, Federspiel JM, Schwab T, Ehrlich T, Ramsthaler F, Schäfers HJ. Aortic regurgitation is associated with ascending aortic remodeling in the nondilated aorta. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2021; 41 (03) 1179-1190
- 6 Stone JR, Bruneval P, Angelini A. et al. Consensus statement on surgical pathology of the aorta from the Society for Cardiovascular Pathology and the Association for European Cardiovascular Pathology: I. Inflammatory diseases. Cardiovasc Pathol 2015; 24 (05) 267-278