Subscribe to RSS
Dysphonia as a Presenting Symptom of a Giant Left Atrial Sarcoma Developing within Five YearsFunding This publication was supported by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and University of Erlangen Foundation within the funding programme Open Access Publishing.
An 83-year-old woman presented with a new onset of dyspnea and dysphonia. Physical examination revealed no abnormalities. Computerized tomography, bidimensional echocardiography, and cardiac magnetic resonance confirmed the presence of a cardiac mass in the left atrium. Surgical resection was uneventful and showed the origin of the mass in the ostium of the left inferior pulmonary vein. Histological evaluation revealed undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma with myxoid features. This case highlights the importance of considering cardiac neoplasms as a rare differential diagnosis, including rare and misleading clinical presentations.
Data Availability Statement
The raw data supporting the conclusions of this article will be made available by the authors without undue reservation to any qualified researcher.
The patient signed informed consent related to the clinical course, therefore and due to its retrospective nature of the educational case report, the Institutional Review Board was waived.
Article published online:
24 August 2022
© 2022. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Amano J, Nakayama J, Yoshimura Y, Ikeda U. Clinical classification of cardiovascular tumors and tumor-like lesions, and its incidences. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 61 (08) 435-447
- 2 Hudzik B, Miszalski-Jamka K, Glowacki J. et al. Malignant tumors of the heart. Cancer Epidemiol 2015; 39 (05) 665-672
- 3 Barreiro M, Renilla A, Jimenez JM. et al. Primary cardiac tumors: 32 years of experience from a Spanish tertiary surgical center. Cardiovasc Pathol 2013; 22 (06) 424-427
- 4 Burke AP, Cowan D, Virmani R. Primary sarcomas of the heart. Cancer 1992; 69 (02) 387-395
- 5 Corradi D, Contini GA, Gherli T, Nicolini F. A left atrial myxomalike rhabdomyosarcoma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 144 (01) e7-e10
- 6 Strecker T, Rösch J, Weyand M, Agaimy A. Primary and metastatic cardiac tumors: imaging characteristics, surgical treatment, and histopathological spectrum: a 10-year-experience at a German heart center. Cardiovasc Pathol 2012; 21 (05) 436-443
- 7 Agaimy A, Rösch J, Weyand M, Strecker T. Primary and metastatic cardiac sarcomas: a 12-year experience at a German heart center. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2012; 5 (09) 928-938
- 8 Ibrahim A, Luk A, Singhal P. et al. Primary intimal (spindle cell) sarcoma of the heart: a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Med 2013; 2013: 461815
- 9 Isambert N, Ray-Coquard I, Italiano A. et al. Primary cardiac sarcomas: a retrospective study of the French Sarcoma Group. Eur J Cancer 2014; 50 (01) 128-136
- 10 Abu Saleh WK, Ramlawi B, Shapira OM. et al. Improved outcomes with the evolution of a neoadjuvant chemotherapy approach to right heart sarcoma. Ann Thorac Surg 2017; 104 (01) 90-96
- 11 Lestuzzi C, Cosei I, Ravasel A. et al. P4656Short- and long-term evaluation of safety of cardiac sarcomas radiotherapy. Eur Heart J 2019; 40 (suppl_1): ehz745.1038 https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehz745.1038
- 12 Devbhandari MP, Meraj S, Jones MT, Kadir I, Bridgewater B. Primary cardiac sarcoma: reports of two cases and a review of current literature. J Cardiothorac Surg 2007; 2 (01) 34
- 13 Gupta A. Primary cardiac sarcomas. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2008; 6 (10) 1295-1297
- 14 Lestuzzi C, Reardon MJ. Primary cardiac malignancies: the need for a multidisciplinary approach and the role of the cardio-oncologist. J Am Coll Cardiol 2020; 75 (18) 2348-2351