Subscribe to RSS
Women's Health Issues in Thrombosis and Haemostasis
In the last couple of years sex specific health issues have continually been gaining attraction by physicians of different medical specialities. Sex differences have been described e.g. in the pathogenesis and mortality in patients affected by COVID-19, in metabolic regulation and cancer mechanisms.   In the field of haemostasis, many aspects concerning risk factors, clinical presentation and management of thromboembolic disease and bleeding disorders also display sex differences.
Article published online:
07 November 2022
© 2022. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Rubin JB, Lagas JS, Broestl L. et al. Sex differences in cancer mechanisms. Biol Sex Differ 2020; 11 (01) 17 DOI: 10.1186/s13293-020-00291-x.
- 2 Tramunt B, Smati S, Grandgeorge N. et al. Sex differences in metabolic regulation and diabetes susceptibility. Diabetologia 2020; 63 (03) 453-461 DOI: 10.1007/s00125-019-05040-3.
- 3 Bienvenu LA, Noonan J, Wang X, Peter K. Higher mortality of COVID-19 in males: sex differences in immune response and cardiovascular comorbidities. Cardiovasc Res 2020; 116 (14) 2197-2206 DOI: 10.1093/cvr/cvaa284.
- 4 Arnesen CAL, Veres K, Horváth-Puhó E, Hansen JB, Sørensen HT, Brækkan SK. Estimated lifetime risk of venous thromboembolism in men and women in a Danish nationwide cohort: impact of competing risk of death. Eur J Epidemiol 2022; 37 (02) 195-203 DOI: 10.1007/s10654-021-00813-w.
- 5 Linnemann B, Rott H, Zotz R, Hart C. Venous Thromboembolism Issues in Women. Hämostaseologie 2022; 290-299 DOI: 10.1055/a-1919-9558.
- 6 de Blok CJ, Wiepjes CM, van Velzen DM. et al. Mortality trends over five decades in adult transgender people receiving hormone treatment: a report from the Amsterdam cohort of gender dysphoria. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2021; 9 (10) 663-670 DOI: 10.1016/S2213-8587(21)00185-6.
- 7 Van Bunderen CC, Leentjens J, Middeldorp S. Transgender Medicine and Risk of Venous Thromboembolism. Hämostaseologie 2022 doi: ???
- 8 Mahajan A, Brunson A, Adesina O, Keegan THM, Wun T. The incidence of cancer-associated thrombosis is increasing over time. Blood Adv 2022; 6 (01) 307-320 DOI: 10.1182/bloodadvances.2021005590.
- 9 Matzdorff A. Venous Thromboembolism in Women with Cancer. Hämostaseologie 2022; 309-319 DOI: 10.1055/a-1913-2873.
- 10 Hart C, Bauersachs R, Scholz U. et al. Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism during Pregnancy and the Puerperium with a Special Focus on Women with Hereditary Thrombophilia or Prior VTE-Position Paper of the Working Group in Women's Health of the Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (GTH). Hamostaseologie 2020; 40 (05) 572-590 DOI: 10.1055/a-1132-0750.
- 11 Hart C, Rott H, Heimerl S, Linnemann B. Management of Antithrombin Deficiency in Pregnancy. Hämostaseologie 2022; 320-329 DOI: 10.1055/a-1841-0399.
- 12 Martinelli I, Mannucci PM, De Stefano V. et al. Different risks of thrombosis in four coagulation defects associated with inherited thrombophilia: a study of 150 families. Blood 1998; 92 (07) 2353-2358
- 13 Abbattista M, Gianniello F, Novembrino C. et al. Risk of pregnancy-related venous thromboembolism and obstetrical complications in women with inherited type I antithrombin deficiency: a retrospective, single-centre, cohort study. Lancet Haematol 2020; 7 (04) e320-e328 DOI: 10.1016/S2352-3026(20)30007-7.
- 14 Atiq F, Saes JL, Punt MC. et al; WiN, RBiN and TiN study groups. Major differences in clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of men and women with autosomal inherited bleeding disorders. EClinicalMedicine 2021; 32: 100726 DOI: 10.1016/j.eclinm.2021.100726.
- 15 Eladly F, Miesbach W. Von Willebrand Disease – Specific Aspects in Women. Hämostaseologie 2022; 330-336 DOI: 10.1055/a-1891-9976.
- 16 Huq FY, Tvarkova K, Arafa A, Kadir RA. Menstrual problems and contraception in women of reproductive age receiving oral anticoagulation. Contraception 2011; 84 (02) 128-132 DOI: 10.1016/j.contraception.2010.12.011.
- 17 Klok FA, Schreiber K, Stach K. et al. Oral contraception and menstrual bleeding during treatment of venous thromboembolism: Expert opinion versus current practice: Combined results of a systematic review, expert panel opinion and an international survey. Thromb Res 2017; 153: 101-107 DOI: 10.1016/j.thromres.2017.03.013.
- 18 Kalmanti L, Lindhoff-Last E. Bleeding Issues in Women under oral Anticoagulation. Hämostaseologie 2022; 337-347 DOI: 10.1055/a-1891-8187.