Ultraschall in Med
DOI: 10.1055/s-0043-113817
Original Article
© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York

Postpartum Retained Products of Conception: A Novel Approach to Follow-Up and Early Diagnosis

Postpartal retinierte Schwangerschaftsprodukte: Ein neuer Ansatz für die Nachverfolgung und frühe DiagnosestellungNoam Smorgick, Ayala Krakov, Ron Maymon, Moshe Betser, Josef Tovbin, Moty Pansky
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Zerifin, Israel
Further Information

Publication History

11 September 2016

10 May 2017

Publication Date:
21 September 2017 (eFirst)

Abstract

Purpose To investigate whether ultrasound follow-up for the detection of postpartum retained products of conception (RPOC) in women considered at risk for this condition may allow for early diagnosis.

Methods Parturients at risk for RPOC underwent an ultrasound exam on the second postpartum day. Based on the ultrasound findings, women were either: (1) discharged to routine postpartum care in cases of normal scans, (2) invited for follow-up in cases of abnormal scans. We retrospectively analyzed the rates of women requiring uterine evacuation due to persistent abnormal scans.

Results 761 parturients (out of 17 010 deliveries, 4.5 %) were included. Of those, 490 (64.4 %) women had a normal initial scan, but two of them were later readmitted for uterine evacuation. The remaining 271 (35.6 %) women were found to have an abnormal scan: (a) thickened endometrium > 10 mm with hypo- and hyper-echoes and negative Doppler flow considered low suspicion for RPOC was described in 260 cases, of whom 23 (8.8 %) underwent uterine evacuation with placental remnants confirmed in 12/23 (52.2 %), and (b) an echogenic mass with positive Doppler flow considered high suspicion for RPOC was described in 11 cases, all of whom underwent uterine evacuation, with placental remnants confirmed in 9/11 (81.8 %). The number of scans required to detect RPOC in one patient was 33.

Conclusion Postpartum ultrasound evaluation may allow for early diagnosis of RPOC in women considered at risk for this condition.

Zusammenfassung

Ziel Untersuchung, ob eine frühe Diagnosestellung bei Frauen mit Risiko für postpartale retinierte Schwangerschaftsprodukte („retained products of conception“, RPOC) mittels Ultraschall-Nachuntersuchung möglich ist.

Methoden Wöchnerinnen mit Risiko für RPOC erhielten am zweiten Tag nach Entbindung eine Ultraschalluntersuchung. Entsprechend des sonografischen Befundes wurden die Frauen entweder (1) im Falle einer normalen Untersuchung in die routinemäßige Wochenbett-Betreuung entlassen, oder (2) im Falle von Auffälligkeiten zu einer Nachuntersuchung gebeten. Wir untersuchten retrospektiv die Anzahl der Frauen bei denen aufgrund persistierender auffälliger Befunde eine Abrasio notwendig war.

Ergebnisse Eingeschlossen wurden 761 Wöchnerinnen (aus 17 010 Entbindungen; 4,5 %). Davon hatten 490 Frauen (64,4 %) eine normale Erstuntersuchung, zwei von ihnen wurden jedoch zur Abrasio wieder eingewiesen. Die übrigen 271 Frauen (35,6 %) hatten eine auffällige Untersuchung: (a) Verdicktes Endometrium > 10 mm echoarm und echoreich sowie negativer Dopplerfluss wurden als schwacher Verdacht auf RPOC angesehen und in 260 Fällen beschrieben, wobei bei 23 (8,8 %) eine Abrasio durchgeführt und Plazentareste bei 12/23 (52,2 %) bestätigt wurden. (b) Eine echoreiche Raumforderung mit positivem Dopplerfluss, galt als höchst verdächtig für RPOC und wurde bei 11 Fällen beschrieben, wobei bei allen eine Abrasio durchgeführt und Plazentareste bei 9/11 bestätigt (81,8 %) wurden. Die Zahl der Untersuchungen, die nötig waren um einen Patienten mit RPOC zu entdecken, betrug 33.

Schlussfolgerung Die postpartale Ultraschalluntersuchung kann eine frühe Diagnosestellung für RPOC bei Frauen mit entsprechendem Risiko ermöglichen.