Subscribe to RSS
Idiopathic Isolated Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy: A Rare Case Report
Idiopathic isolated right ventricular cardiomyopathy is an extremely rare cause of right ventricular failure. Here, we report a case of 65-year-old male presented with chief complaints of dyspnea, fatigue, and bilateral pedal edema for the last 6 months. On clinical evaluation, grade II/III pansystolic murmur was present in left parasternal area. Investigations and imaging revealed dilated right atrium and ventricle with normal pulmonary artery pressure without any etiology. Magnetic resonance imaging ruled out other common causes of right ventricular cardiomyopathy; thus, the patient was diagnosed as a case of idiopathic isolated right ventricular cardiomyopathy that is a diagnosis of exclusion.
V.M. and S.K.S. were involved in the diagnostic workup and collected the clinical data. S.G. and R.G. wrote the first draft and followed the patient. S.D. researched the documented cases, organized the figures and tables, and edited the manuscript. All authors reviewed and approved the final manuscript before submission.
Article published online:
24 March 2023
© 2023. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Matsui S, Murakami E, Takekoshi N, Tsuji S. Idiopathic dilated right ventricular cardiomyopathy: a report of eight cases. J Cardiogr 1985; 15 (04) 1027-1038
- 2 Briongos Figuero S, Acena Navarro A. Isolated right ventricular dilated cardiomyopathy: an early diagnosis. J Clin Med Res 2015; 7 (10) 817-819
- 3 Ibsen HH, Baandrup U, Simonsen EE. Familial right ventricular dilated cardiomyopathy. Br Heart J 1985; 54 (02) 156-159
- 4 Elikowski W, Małek-Elikowska M, Różańska P, Fertała N, Zawodna M. Isolated right ventricular takotsubo cardiomyopathy: a case report and literature review. Pol Merkuriusz Lek 2016; 41 (246) 283-286
- 5 Seecheran RV, Ramdin R, Singh S. et al. Isolated right ventricular noncompaction cardiomyopathy causing pulmonary embolism. J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep 2021; 9: 23 247096211024027
- 6 Yelve K, Panandikar GA, Pazare A, Bajpai S. Isolated right ventricular cardiomyopathy with autoimmune hypothyroidism: a rare association in an adolescent. BMJ Case Rep 2015; 2015: bcr2014206268
- 7 Belin RJ, Varga J, Collins JD, Freed BH. Right ventricular cardiomyopathy in systemic sclerosis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2017; 56 (06) 1045-1047
- 8 Bosman LP, Cadrin-Tourigny J, Bourfiss M. et al. Diagnosing arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy by 2010 Task Force Criteria: clinical performance and simplified practical implementation. Europace 2020; 22 (05) 787-796
- 9 Gomathi SB, Makadia N, Ajit SM. An unusual case of isolated non-compacted right ventricular myocardium. Eur J Echocardiogr 2008; 9 (03) 424-425
- 10 Ganczar J, English R. Uhl's anomaly: absence of the right ventricular myocardium. Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2015; 8 (01) 71-73