Subscribe to RSS
Recurrent Nonimmune Fetal Hydrops Due to a Novel Pathogenic Variant in PIEZO1 Gene: A Case Report from South India
Nonimmune fetal hydrops (NIFH) has underlying diverse etiology with generalized lymphatic dysplasia being one such cause. Lymphatic malformation-6 is a type of lymphatic dysplasia that is due to homozygous or compound heterozygous variants in the PIEZO1 gene. The clinical features associated with this condition during fetal life are nonimmune fetal hydrops that manifests with widespread lymphatic edema, with other systemic manifestations like pericardial/pleural effusions, chylothorax along with lymphangiectasia seen primarily in lungs and intestines. We present a case of recurrent NIFH in a family due to a novel pathogenic mutation in PIEZO1 gene. This variant was identified in homozygous state in all the three affected fetuses and in heterozygous state in both the parents. The couple were counseled regarding recurrence of this condition and given reproductive options for future pregnancies.
Keywordslymphatic malformation-6 - generalized lymphatic dysplasia - lymphangiectasia - nonimmune hydrops fetalis - PIEZO1 gene
Article published online:
12 May 2023
© 2023. Society of Fetal Medicine. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Mardy AH, Chetty SP, Norton ME, Sparks TN. A system-based approach to the genetic etiologies of non-immune hydrops fetalis. Prenat Diagn 2019; 39 (09) 732-750
- 2 Connell FC, Gordon K, Brice G. et al. The classification and diagnostic algorithm for primary lymphatic dysplasia: an update from 2010 to include molecular findings. Clin Genet 2013; 84 (04) 303-314
- 3 Fotiou E, Martin-Almedina S, Simpson MA. et al. Novel mutations in PIEZO1 cause an autosomal recessive generalized lymphatic dysplasia with non-immune hydrops fetalis. Nat Commun 2015; 6: 8085 DOI: 10.1038/ncomms9085.
- 4 Kurdi W. Non-immune fetal hydrops: are we doing the appropriate tests each time?. J Prenat Med 2007; 1 (01) 26-28
- 5 Kosinski P, Krajewski P, Wielgos M, Jezela-Stanek A. Nonimmune hydrops fetalis-prenatal diagnosis, genetic investigation, outcomes and literature review. J Clin Med 2020; 9 (06) 1789 DOI: 10.3390/jcm9061789.
- 6 Norton ME, Chauhan SP, Dashe JS. Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM). Society for maternal-fetal medicine (SMFM) clinical guideline #7: nonimmune hydrops fetalis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015; 212 (02) 127-139
- 7 Graves GR, Baskett TF. Nonimmune hydrops fetalis: antenatal diagnosis and management. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1984; 148 (05) 563-565
- 8 Santolaya J, Alley D, Jaffe R, Warsof SL. Antenatal classification of hydrops fetalis. Obstet Gynecol 1992; 79 (02) 256-259
- 9 Kilby MD. Nonimmune hydrops fetalis - more than meets the eye?. N Engl J Med 2020; 383 (18) 1785-1786
- 10 Hutchison AA, Drew JH, Yu VY, Williams ML, Fortune DW, Beischer NA. Nonimmunologic hydrops fetalis: a review of 61 cases. Obstet Gynecol 1982; 59 (03) 347-352
- 11 Sohan K, Carroll SG, De La Fuente S, Soothill P, Kyle P. Analysis of outcome in hydrops fetalis in relation to gestational age at diagnosis, cause and treatment. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2001; 80 (08) 726-730
- 12 Santo S, Mansour S, Thilaganathan B. et al. Prenatal diagnosis of non-immune hydrops fetalis: what do we tell the parents?. Prenat Diagn 2011; 31 (02) 186-195
- 13 Quinn AM, Valcarcel BN, Makhamreh MM, Al-Kouatly HB, Berger SI. A systematic review of monogenic etiologies of nonimmune hydrops fetalis. Genet Med 2021; 23 (01) 3-12
- 14 Irons MB, Nores J, Stewart TL. et al. Antenatal therapy of Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome. Fetal Diagn Ther 1999; 14 (03) 133-137
- 15 Boctor FN, Wilkerson ML. Fresh frozen plasma as a source of cholesterol for newborn with Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome associated with defective cholesterol synthesis. Ann Clin Lab Sci 2014; 44 (03) 332-333
- 16 Kabagambe SK, Jensen GW, Chen YJ, Vanover MA, Farmer DL. Fetal surgery for myelomeningocele: a systematic review and meta-analysis of outcomes in fetoscopic versus open repair. Fetal Diagn Ther 2018; 43 (03) 161-174
- 17 Moon-Grady AJ, Morris SA, Belfort M. et al; International Fetal Cardiac Intervention Registry. International fetal cardiac intervention registry: a worldwide collaborative description and preliminary outcomes. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 66 (04) 388-399
- 18 McGivern MR, Best KE, Rankin J. et al. Epidemiology of congenital diaphragmatic hernia in Europe: a register-based study. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2015; 100 (02) F137-F144
- 19 Jelin AC, Vora N. Whole exome sequencing: applications in prenatal genetics. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 2018; 45 (01) 69-81
- 20 Bellini C, Hennekam RC. Non-immune hydrops fetalis: a short review of etiology and pathophysiology. Am J Med Genet A 2012; 158A (03) 597-605
- 21 Sparks TN, Thao K, Lianoglou BR. et al; University of California Fetal–Maternal Consortium (UCfC). Nonimmune hydrops fetalis: identifying the underlying genetic etiology. Genet Med 2019; 21 (06) 1339-1344
- 22 Correa ARE, Naini K, Mishra P. et al. Utility of fetal whole exome sequencing in the etiological evaluation and outcome of nonimmune hydrops fetalis. Prenat Diagn 2021; 41 (11) 1414-1424
- 23 Bellini C, Donarini G, Paladini D. et al. Etiology of non-immune hydrops fetalis: an update. Am J Med Genet A 2015; 167A (05) 1082-1088
- 24 Coste B, Mathur J, Schmidt M. et al. Piezo1 and Piezo2 are essential components of distinct mechanically activated cation channels. Science 2010; 330 (6000): 55-60
- 25 Andolfo I, Alper SL, De Franceschi L. et al. Multiple clinical forms of dehydrated hereditary stomatocytosis arise from mutations in PIEZO1. Blood 2013; 121 (19) 3925-3935 , S1–S12
- 26 Lukacs V, Mathur J, Mao R. et al. Impaired PIEZO1 function in patients with a novel autosomal recessive congenital lymphatic dysplasia. Nat Commun 2015; 6: 8329 DOI: 10.1038/ncomms9329.
- 27 Datkhaeva I, Arboleda VA, Senaratne TN. et al. Identification of novel PIEZO1 variants using prenatal exome sequencing and correlation to ultrasound and autopsy findings of recurrent hydrops fetalis. Am J Med Genet A 2018; 176 (12) 2829-2834
- 28 Moreno CA, Kanazawa T, Barini R. et al. Nonimmune hydrops fetalis: a prospective study of 53 cases. Am J Med Genet A 2013; 161A (12) 3078-3086
- 29 Deng Q, Fu F, Yu Q. et al. Nonimmune hydrops fetalis: genetic analysis and clinical outcome. Prenat Diagn 2020; 40 (07) 803-812