Subscribe to RSS
Isokinetic Strength and Anaerobic Power of Elite, Subelite and Amateur French Soccer Players
31 December 2001 (online)
Information about the influence of different practice levels on physical characteristics of a large number of soccer players is lacking. Therefore we assessed muscular strength and anaerobic power of elite, subelite and amateur soccer players to clarify what parameters distinguish the top players from the less successful. We tested 95 soccer players from the French first division (elite), second division (subelite), and amateurs and determined the isokinetic strength of the knee extensor and flexor muscles at angular velocities from - 120 ° · s-1 to 300 ° · s-1. Vertical jump, 10 m sprint, 30 m sprint and maximum ball speed during shooting were also measured. The elite players had higher knee flexor torque than the amateurs at all angular velocities (p < 0.05), except at 300 ° · s-1. The hamstring/quadriceps ratios proposed with two different methods were significantly lower in the amateur group than in the elite group (p < 0.05), except at 300 ° · s-1. Maximum ball speed during shooting and speed over 30 m sprint were not different between elite, subelite, and amateur players while speed over a 10 m sprint was significantly slower in amateur players and faster in the elite group (p < 0.05). Although performance in soccer is not determined only by measurable variables, professional players differ from amateurs in terms of knee flexor muscle strength and short-distance sprinting speed. Based on these findings we conclude that hamstring strength is extremely important in soccer players for joint stabilization during various tasks, notably in eccentric action. Further, short-sprinting performance may mirror actual game situations at high level and could be an important determinant of match-winning actions.
Isokinetic dynamometer, - hamstring/quadriceps ratio, - sprint running, - kicking performance, - vertical jump.
1 Aagaard P, Trolle M, Simonsen E B, Klausen K, Bangsbo J.
High speed knee extension capacity of soccer players after different kinds of strength training.In: Reilly T, Clarys J, Stibbe A (eds) Science and football II. London, New york; E & FN Spon 1993: 92-94
- 2 Aagaard P, Simonsen E B, Trolle M, Bangsbo J, Klausen K. Isokinetic hamstring/quadriceps strength ratio: influence from joint angular velocity, gravity correction and contraction mode. Acta Physiol Scand. 1995; 154 421-427
- 3 Aagaard P, Simonsen E B, Trolle M, Bangsbo J, Klausen K. Specificity of training velocity and training load on gains in isokinetic knee joint strength. Acta Physiol Scand. 1996; 156 123-129
- 4 Bangsbo J, Nooregard L, Thorsoe F. Activity profile of competition soccer. Can J Sport Sci. 1991; 16 110-116
5 Bangsbo J.
Physiological demands.In: Ekblom B (ed) Football (Soccer). London; Blackwell Scientific 1994: 43-59
- 6 Bosco C, Rusko H, Hirvonen J. The effect of extra-load conditioning on muscle performance in athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1986; 18 (4) 415-419
7 Bosco C (ed).
Aspetti fisiologici della preparazione fisica del calciatore.Roma; Società Stampa Sportiva 1990: 69
8 Brewer J, Davis J A.
A physiological comparison of English professional and semi-professional soccer players.In: Proceedings of the 2nd World Congress on Science and Football Eindhoven; 1991: 141
9 Cabri J, De Proft E, Defour W, Clarys J P.
The relation between muscular strength and kick performance.In: Reilly T, Lees A, Davids K, Murphy WJ (eds) Science and football. London, New York; E & FN Spon 1988: 186-193
- 10 Capranica L, Cama G, Fanton F, Tessitore A, Figura F. Force and power of preferred and non-preferred leg in young soccer players. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1992; 31 358-363
- 11 Davis J A, Brewer J, Atkin D. Pre-season physiological characteristics of English first and second division soccer players. J Sports Sci. 1992; 10 541-547
12 De Proft E, Cabri J, Dufour W, Clarys J P.
Strength training and kick performance in soccer players.In: Reilly T, Lees A, Davids K, Murphy WJ (eds) Science and football. London, New York; E & FN Spon 1988: 108-114
- 13 Dunbar G M, Power K. Fitness profiles of English professional and semi-professional soccer players using a battery of fields tests. J Sports Sci. 1995; 13 501-502
- 14 Fried T, Lloyd G J. An overview of common soccer injuries. Management and prevention. Sports Med. 1992; 14 269-275
- 15 Garganta J, Maia J, Silva R, Natal A. A comparative study of explosive leg strength in elite and non elite young soccer players. J Sports Sci. 1992; 10 157
- 16 Gauffin H, Ekstrand J, Arnesson L, Tropp H. Vertical jump performance in soccer players: a comparative study of two training programmes. J Hum Mov Studies. 1989; 16 159-176
- 17 Hagiwara T. A study of fundamental movement in soccer. A kinesiological study of infront kicking. Bull Health and Sports Sci (Univ of Tsukuba). 1986; 9 123-133
- 18 Hagood S, Solomonow M, Baratta R, Zhou B H, D'Ambrosia R. The effect of joint velocity on the contribution of the antagonist musculature to knee stiffness and laxity. Am J Sports Med. 1990; 18 182-187
19 Huang T C, Roberts E M, Youm Y.
Biomechanics of kicking.In: Human Body Dynamics. Oxford; Medical Engineering Series 1982: 409-443
- 20 Leatt P, Shephard R J, Plyley M J. Specific muscular development in under 18 soccer players. J Sports Sci. 1987; 5 165-175
- 21 Öberg B, Möller M, Gillquist J, Ekstrand J. Isokinetic torque levels for knee extensors and knee flexors in soccer players. Int J Sports Med. 1986; 17 50-53
- 22 Odetoyinbo K, Ramsbottom R. Aerobic and anaerobic field testing of soccer players. J Sports Sci. 1995; 13 506
- 23 Raven P B, Gettman L R, Pollock M L, Cooper K H. A physiological evaluation of professional soccer players. Br J Sports Med. 1976; 10 209-216
- 24 Reilly T, Thomas V. A motion analysis of work-rate in different positional roles in professional football match-play. J Hum Mov Study. 1976; 2 87-97
25 Robertson D GE, Mosher R E.
Work and power of the leg muscles in soccer kicking.In: Winter D (ed) Biomechanics IX-B. Champain IL; Human Kinetics 1985: 533-538
- 26 Rochcongar P, Morvan R, Jan J, Dassonville J, Beillot J. Isokinetic investigation of knee extensors and knee flexors in young French soccer player. Int J Sports Med. 1988; 9 448-450
- 27 Taylor N AS, Sanders R H, Howick E I, Stanley S N. Static and dynamic assessment of Biodex dynamometer. Eur J Appl Physiol. 1991; 62 180-188
- 28 Thomas V, Reilly T. Fitness assessment of English league players through the competitive season. Br J Sports Med. 1979; 13 103-109
- 29 Wisloff U, Helgerud J, Hoff J. Strength and endurance of elite soccer players. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998; 30 462-467
- 30 Zakas A, Mandroukas K, Vamvakoudis E, Christoulas K, Aggelopoulou N. Peak torque of quadriceps and hamstring muscles in basketball and soccer players of different divisions. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1995; 35 199-205
Nicola A. Maffiuletti
UFR STAPSUniversité de Bourgogne
21078 Dijon Cedex
Phone: Phone:+ 33 (-380)-396762
Fax: Fax+ 33 (-380)-396702