© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
VATS Decortication in Patients with Stage 3 Empyema
Received July 20, 2004
06 October 2005 (online)
We present here a technique for VATS decortication in patients with stage 3 empyema. It was undertaken with satisfactory outcomes in a limited number of patients. In our technique, the fibrous peel at the surface of the lung is completely removed via two or three incisions without parietal decortication. We believe that our technique will be improved with increased experience and may be an alternative to open thoracotomy and decortication in a selected group of stage 3 empyema patients.
Empyema - decortication - VATS
- 1 Waller D A, Rengarajan A. Thoracoscopic decortication: A role for video-assisted surgery in chronic postpneumonic pleural empyema. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001; 71 1813-1816
- 2 Landrenau R J, Keenan R J, Hazelrigg S R, Mack M J, Naunheim K S. Thoracoscopy for empyema and hemothorax. Chest. 1996; 109 18-23
- 3 Lackner R P, Hughes R, Anderson L A, Sammut P H, Thompson A B. Video-assisted evacuation of empyema is the preferred procedure for management of pleural space infections. Am J Surg. 2000; 179 27-30
- 4 Deslauriers J, Paris F, Tarrazona V.
Fibrothorax and decortication.Pearson FG, Cooper JD, Deslauriers J, Ginsberg RJ, Hiebert CA, Patterson GA, Urschel HC Thoracic Surgery. Philadelphia; Churchill Livingstone 2002: 1265-1280
- 5 Peters R M, Wellons Jr H A, Htwe T M. Total compliance and work of breathing after thoracotomy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1969; 57 348-355
M.D., Ass. Prof., FETCS Cemal Asim Kutlu
MEDKON, Hakkı Yeten Cad.
Dogu Is Merkezi, No.17/12
Sisli 80200, Istanbul
Phone: + 902122961680
Fax: + 90 21 22 47 41 22
Email: [email protected]