Subscribe to RSS
Open Rhinoplasty in Children
18 December 2007 (online)
Septorhinoplasty in children carries the risk of growth disturbance of the nose and premaxilla. The open or external approach has the advantage that the cartilaginous nasal skeleton remains intact. This open approach enables the surgeon to excise dermoid cysts and to realign lower lateral cartilages (unilateral cleft) without disturbing the integrity of the cartilaginous skeleton. In our experience, absolute indications for open rhinoplasty in children include dermoid cyst, cleft lip nose, and septal abscess. Relative indications include septal deviations causing severe nasal airway obstruction and or progressive distortion of the nose. In this article, we discuss the indications, advantages, disadvantages, and operative technique of open rhinoplasty in children. Our indications for open rhinoplasty in children and some selected cases are illustrated.
External approach - open approach - rhinoplasty - children
- 1 Snell D. History of external rhinoplasty. J Otolaryngol. 1978; 7 1
- 2 Rethi A. Operation to shorten an excessively long nose. Rev Chir Plast. 1934; 2 85
- 3 Sercer A. Dekortication der Nose. Chir Maxillofac Plast (Zagreb). 1958; 1 49
- 4 Padovan I F. External approach in rhinoplasty (decortication). Symp ORL. 1966; 4 354-360
- 5 Goodman W S, Charbonneau P A. External approach to rhinoplasty. Laryngoscope. 1974; 84 2195-2201
- 6 Hage J. Surgical approach to the external and internal nose: with a supplementary report on two cases of nasal glioma. Br J Plast Surg. 1960; 12 327-339
- 7 Freer O T. The correction of deflections of the nasal septum with a minimum of traumatism. JAMA. 1902; 38 636-642
- 8 Killian G. The submucous window resection of the nasal septum. Ann Otolaryngol. 1905; 14 363-373
- 9 Cottle M H, Loring R M. Surgery of the nasal septum: new operative procedures and indications. Amm Otol Rhinol Laryng. 1948; 57 705-713
- 10 Goldman I B. New technique in surgery of the deviated nasal septum. Arch Otolaryng. 1956; 64 183-189
- 11 Pirsig W. Septal plasty in children: influence on nasal growth. Rhinology. 1977; 15 193-204
- 12 Huizing E H. Septum surgery in children: indications, surgical technique and long term results. Rhinology. 1979; 17 91-100
- 13 Nolst trenite G J, Verwoerd C DA, Verwoerd-Verhoef H L. Reimplantation of autologous septal cartilage in the growing nasal septum. I. The influence of resection and reimplantation of septal cartilage upon nasal growth: an experimental study in growing rabbits. Rhinology. 1987; 25 225-236
- 14 Crysdale W S, Tatham B. External septo-rhinoplasty in children. Laryngoscope. 1985; 95 12-16
- 15 Jugo S B. Total septal reconstruction through decortication (external) approach in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1987; 113 173-178
- 16 Triglia J M, Cannoni M, Pech A. Septo-rhinoplasty in children: outcome and effect on growth of septal excision and reimplantation. J Otolaryngol. 1990; 19 274-278
- 17 El-Hakim H, Crysdale W, Abdollel M, Farkas L G. A study of anthropometric measures before and after external septoplasty in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001; 127 1362-1366
- 18 Verwoerd C DA, Verwoerd-Verhoef H L.
Rhinosurgery in children: developmental and surgical aspects. In: Nolst Trenite GJ Rhinoplasty, a Practical Guide to Functional and Aesthetic Surgery of the Nose. The Hague; Kugler Publications 2005: 201-208
- 19 Johnson C M, Toriumi D M. Open Structure Rhinoplasty. Philadelphia; WB Saunders 1990: 47-98
- 20 Nolst Trenite G J, Vinayak B C.
External rhinoplasty: the benefits and pitfalls. In: Nolst Trenite GJ Rhinoplasty, a Practical Guide to Functional and Aesthetic Surgery of the Nose. The Hague; Kugler Publications 2005: 125-141
- 21 Goodman W S, Charles D A. Why external rhinoplasty?. J Otolaryngol. 1978; 7 6-8
- 22 Adamson P A, Smith O, Tropper G J. Incision and scar analysis in open (external) rhinoplasty. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1990; 116 671-675
- 23 Denoyelle F, Ducroz V, Roger G, Garabedian E N. Nasal dermoid cysts in children. Laryngoscope. 1997; 107 795-800
- 24 Dispenza C, Saraniti C, Dispenza F, Caramanna C, Salzano F A. Management of nasal septal abscess in childhood: our experience. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2004; 68 1417-1421
- 25 Boenisch M, Hajas T, Nolst Trenite G J. Influence of polydioxanone foil on growing septal cartilage after surgery in an animal model. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2003; 5 316-319
- 26 Schrader M, Jahnke K. Tragal cartilage in the primary reconstruction of defects resulting from a nasal septal abscess. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 1995; 20 527-529
- 27 Nolst Trenite G J.
Secondary surgery of the cleft-lip nose. In: Nolst Trenite GJ Rhinoplasty, a Practical Guide to Functional and Aesthetic Surgery of the Nose. The Hague; Kugler Publications 2005: 149-165
Professor Gilbert J Nolst Trenité, M.D. , Ph.D.
Department of Otorhinolaryngology & Facial Plastic Surgery, Academic Medical Center of the University of Amsterdam
A2-232, PO Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands