Thromb Haemost 2010; 104(05): 1071-1072
Letters to the Editor
Fondaparinux thromboprophylaxis-associated heparin-induced thrombocytopenia syndrome complicated by arterial thrombotic stroke
11 May 2010
11 May 2010
Accepted after minor revision: 06 July 2010
24 November 2017 (online)
- 1 Greinacher A, Pöetzsch B, Amiral J. et al. Heparin-associated thrombocytopenia: isolation of the antibody and characterization of a multimolecular PF4-heparin complex as the major antigen. Thromb Haemost 1994; 71: 247-251.
- 2 Warkentin TE, Maurer BT, Aster RH. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia associated with fondaparinux. N Engl J Med 2007; 356: 2653-2654.
- 3 Rota E, Bazzan M, Fantino G. Fondaparinux-related thrombocytopenia in a previous low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH)-induced heparin-in-duced thrombocytopenia (HIT). Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 779-781.
- 4 Jay RM, Warkentin TE. Fatal heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) during warfarin thromboprophylaxis following orthopedic surgery: another example of ‘spontaneous’ HIT?. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 06: 1598-1600.
- 5 Pruthi RK, Daniels PR, Nambudiri GS. et al. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) during postoperative warfarin thromboprophylaxis : a second example of postorthopedic surgery ‘spontaneous’ HIT. J Thromb Haemost 2009; 07: 499-501.
- 6 DeSancho MT, Carlson KS, Mallik A. A case of spontaneous heparin induced thrombocytopenia and thrombosis [Poster abstract]. J Thromb Haemost. 2009 (Suppl): PP-WE-718.
- 7 Warkentin TE, Cook RJ, Marder VJ. et al. Anti-PF4/heparin antibody formation post-orthopedic surgery thromboprophylaxis: the role of non-drug risk factors and evidence for a stoichiometry-based model of immunization. J Thromb Haemost 2010; 08: 504-512.
- 8 Warkentin TE, Cook RJ, Marder VJ. et al. Anti-platelet factor 4/heparin antibodies in orthopedic surgery patients receiving antithrombotic prophylaxis with fondaparinux or enoxaparin. Blood 2005; 106: 3791-3796.
- 9 Warkentin TE, Makris M, Jay RM. et al. A spontaneous prothrombotic disorder resembling heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Am J Med 2008; 121: 632-636.
- 10 Lubenow N, Hinz P, Thomaschewski S. et al. The severity of trauma determines the immune response to PF4/heparin and the frequency of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Blood 2010; 115: 1797-1803.
- 11 Gruel Y, Pouplard C, Nguyen P. et al. Biological and clinical features of low-molecular-weight heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Br J Haematol 2003; 121: 786-792.
- 12 Warkentin TE, Greinacher A, Koster A. et al. Treatment and prevention of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (8th edition). Chest 2008; 133 (Suppl. 06) 340S-380S.
- 13 Kuo KHM, Kovacs MJ. Successful treatment of heparin induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) with fondaparinux. Thromb Haemost 2005; 93: 999-1000.
- 14 Lobo B, Finch C, Howard A. et al. Fondaparinux for the treatment of patients with acute heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 208-214.
- 15 Baroletti S, Labreche M, Niles M. et al. Prescription of fondaparinux in hospitalised patients. Thromb Haemost 2009; 101: 1091-1094.
- 16 Martel N, Lee J, Wells PS. Risk for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia with unfractionated and low-molecular-weight heparin thromboprophylaxis: a meta-analysis. Blood 2005; 106: 2710-2715.