Evaluation of commercial von Willebrand factor collagen binding assays to assist the discrimination of types 1 and 2 von Willebrand disease
Received:08 June 2010
Accepted after 20 July 2010
24 November 2017 (online)
This study reports on the evaluation of seven commercial von Wille-brand factor (VWF) collagen binding (VWF:CB) assays to potentially assist the discrimination of types 1 and 2 von Willebrand disease (VWD). Samples from 25 patients with type 1 VWD, of varying severity, were co-tested with 16 samples from patients with types 2A or 2B VWD, plus various control samples, using each commercial VWF:CB assay assessed against our standard (reference) in-house VWF:CB assay, as well as our in-house VWF antigen (VWF:Ag) and ristocetin cofactor (VWF:RCo) assays. Commercial VWF:CB assays varied in their ability to discriminate types 1 and 2A/2B VWD. The optimal VWF:CB/VWF:Ag ratio at which optimal discrimination occurred also differed between assays, with some improvements observed with some (but not all) as-says following a harmonisation process that aimed to correct for different calibrator effects. Assay variability also compromised assay utility in some test occasions. Future standardisation and improvements in some commercial VWF:CB assays are needed before the VWF:CB assay can be more fully and globally utilised for discrimination of VWD types in diagnostic laboratories.
- 1 Sadler JE, Budde U, Eikenboom JCJ. et al. and the Working Party on von Wille-brand Disease Classification. Update on the pathophysiology and classification of von Willebrand disease: a report of the Subcommittee on von Willebrand Factor. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 04: 2103-2114.
- 2 Favaloro EJ. Laboratory identification of von Willebrand Disease: Technical and scientific perspectives. Semin Thromb Hemost 2006; 32: 456-471.
- 3 Favaloro EJ. Towards a new paradigm for the identification and functional char-acterisation of von Willebrand disease. Semin Thromb Hemost 2009; 35: 60-75.
- 4 Favaloro EJ. An update on the von Willebrand factor collagen binding (VWF:CB) assay: 21 years of age and beyond adolescence, but not yet a mature adult. Semin Thromb Hemost 2007; 33: 727-744.
- 5 van Vliet HH, Kappers-Klunne MC, Leebeek FW. et al. PFA-100 monitoring of von Willebrand factor (VWF) responses to desmopressin (DDAVP) and factor VIII/VWF concentrate substitution in von Willebrand disease type 1 and 2. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 462-468.
- 6 Favaloro EJ. A better approach to monitoring of therapy in von Willebrand disease?. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 371-373.
- 7 Favaloro EJ, Thom J, Patterson D. et al. Desmopressin therapy to assist the functional identification and characterisation of von Willebrand disease: differential utility from combining two (VWF:CB and VWF:RCo) von Willebrand factor activity assays?. Thromb Res 2009; 123: 862-868.
- 8 De Meyer SF, Staelens S, Badenhorst PN. et al. Coronary artery in-stent stenosis persists despite inhibition of the von Willebrand factor--collagen interaction in baboons. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 1343-1349.
- 9 Wadanoli M, Sako D, Shaw GD. et al. The von Willebrand factor antagonist (GPG-290) prevents coronary thrombosis without prolongation of bleeding time. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 397-405.
- 10 Bongers TN, Emonts M, de Maat MP. et al. Reduced ADAMTS13 in children with severe meningococcal sepsis is associated with severity and outcome. Thromb Haemost 2010; 103: 1181-1187.
- 11 Heilmann C, Geisen U, Beyersdorf F. et al. Acquired von Willebrand syndrome in patients with ventricular assist device or total artificial heart. Thromb Haemost 2010; 103: 962-967.
- 12 Udvardy ML, Szekeres-Csiki K, Hársfalvi J.. Novel evaluation method for densito-metric curves of von Willebrand factor multimers and a new parameter (M(MW)) to describe the degree of multimersation. Thromb Haemost 2009; 102: 412-417.
- 13 Favaloro EJ, Krigstein M, Koutts J. et al. Genetic testing for the diagnosis of von Willebrand Disease: benefits and limitations. J Coag Disorders 2010; 02: 37-47.
- 14 Keeney S, Bowen D, Cumming A. et al. The molecular analysis of von Willebrand disease: a guideline from the UK Haemophilia Centre Doctors’ Organisation Haemophilia Genetics Laboratory Network. Haemophilia 2008; 14: 1099-1111.
- 15 Favaloro EJ, Bonar R, Kershaw G. et al. (on behalf of the RCPA QAP in Haematology). Reducing errors in identification of von Willebrand disease: The experience of the Royal college of Pathologists of Australasia Quality Assurance Program. Semin Thromb Hemost 2006; 32: 505-513.
- 16 Meijer P, Haverkate F. An external quality assessment program for von Willebrand factor laboratory analysis: an overview from the European concerted action on thrombosis and disabilities foundation. Semin Thromb Hemost 2006; 32: 485-491.
- 17 Kitchen S, Jennings I, Woods TA. et al. Laboratory tests for measurement of von Willebrand factor show poor agreement among different centers: results from the United Kingdom National External Quality Assessment Scheme for Blood Coagulation. Semin Thromb Hemost 2006; 32: 492-498.
- 18 Hayes TE, Brandt JT, Chandler WL. et al. External peer review quality assurance testing in von Willebrand disease: the recent experience of the United States College of American Pathologists proficiency testing program. Semin Thromb Hemost 2006; 32: 499-504.
- 19 Favaloro EJ, Bonar R, Marsden K. (on behalf of the RCPA QAP Haemostasis Committee). Lower limit of assay sensitivity: an under-recognised and significant problem in von Willebrand disease identification and classification. Clin Lab Sci 2008; 21: 178-185.
- 20 Favaloro EJ, Bonar R, Meiring M. et al. (on behalf of the RCPA QAP in Haematology). 2B or not 2B? Disparate discrimination of functional VWF discordance using different assay panels or methodologies may lead to success or failure in the early identification of Type 2B VWD. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 346-358.
- 21 Favaloro EJ. Detailed von Willebrand factor multimer analysis in patients with von Willebrand disease in the European study, molecular and clinical markers for the diagnosis and management of type 1 von Willebrand disease (MCMDM-1VWD) – a rebuttal. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 06: 1999-2001.
- 22 Goodeve A, Eikenboom J, Castaman G. et al. Phenotype and genotype of a cohort of families historically diagnosed with type 1 von Willebrand disease in the European study, Molecular and Clinical Markers for the Diagnosis and Management of Type 1 von Willebrand Disease (MCMDM-1VWD). Blood 2007; 109: 112-121.
- 23 James PD, Paterson AD, Notley C. et al. and Association of Hemophilia Clinic Directors of Canada. Genetic linkage and association analysis in type 1 von Wille-brand disease: results from the Canadian type 1 VWD study. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 04: 783-792.
- 24 James PD, Notley C, Hegadorn C. et al. The mutational spectrum of type 1 von Willebrand disease: Results from a Canadian cohort study. Blood 2007; 109: 145-154.
- 25 Cumming A, Grundy P, Keeney S. et al. the UK Haemophilia Centre Doctors’ Organisation.. An investigation of the von Willebrand factor genotype in UK patients diagnosed to have type 1 von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost 2006; 96: 630-641.
- 26 Favaloro EJ, Facey D, Grispo L. Laboratory assessment of von Willebrand Factor: Use of different assays can influence the diagnosis of von Willebrand’s Disease, depending on differing sensitivity to sample preparation and differential recognition of high molecular weight VWF forms. Am J Clin Pathol 1995; 104: 264-271.
- 27 Favaloro EJ. Collagen binding assay for von Willebrand Factor (VWF:CBA): Detection of von Willebrands Disease (VWD), and discrimination of VWD sub-types, depends on collagen source. Thromb Haemost 2000; 83: 127-135.
- 28 Favaloro EJ. Detection of von Willebrand Disorder (VWD) and identification of qualitative von Willebrand Factor (VWF) defects: Direct comparison of commercial ELISA-based ‘VWF:Activity’ options. Am J Clin Pathol 2000; 114: 608-618.
- 29 Favaloro EJ, Grispo L, Dinale A. et al. von Willebrand’s Disease: Laboratory investigation using an improved functional assay for von Willebrand Factor. Pathology 1993; 25: 152-158.
- 30 Hubbard AR, Heath AB. Standardization of factor VIII and von Willebrand factor in plasma: calibration of the WHO 5th International Standard (02/150). J Thromb Haemost 2004; 02: 1380-1384.
- 31 Meiring M, Badenhorst PN, Kelderman M. Performance and utility of a cost-effective collagen-binding assay for the laboratory diagnosis of Von Willebrand disease. Clin Chem Lab Med 2007; 45: 1068-1072.
- 32 Baronciani L, Federici AB, Cozzi G. et al. von Willebrand factor collagen binding assay in von Willebrand disease type 2A, 2B, and 2M. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 04: 2088-2090.
- 33 Federici AB, Canciani MT, Forza I. et al. Ristocetin cofactor and collagen binding activities normalized to antigen levels for a rapid diagnosis of type 2 von Wille-brand disease: single center comparison of four different assays. Thromb Haemost 2000; 84: 1127-1128.
- 34 Veyradier A, Trossaert M, Lefrancois A. et al. von Willebrand factor collagen binding assay with a commercial kit using type III collagen in von Willebrand disease type 2. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 05: 868-870.
- 35 Jilma B, Paulinska P, Jilma-Stohlawetz P. et al. A randomised pilot trial of the anti-von Willebrand factor aptamer ARC1779 in patients with type 2b von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost 2010; 104: 563-570.