Subscribe to RSS
Why Patient Centered Care Coordination Is Important in Developing Countries?Contribution of the IMIA Health Informatics for Development Working Group
30 June 2015
10 March 2018 (online)
Patient Centered Care Coordination (PCCC) focuses on the patient health care needs. PCCC involves the organization, the patients and their families, that must coordinate resources in order to accomplish the goals of PCCC. In developing countries, where disparities are frequent, PCCC could improve clinical outcomes, costs and patients satisfaction.
Objective: the IMIA working group Health Informatics for Development analyzes the benefits, identifies the barriers and proposes strategies to reach PCCC.
Methods: Discussions about PCCC emerged from a brief guide that posed questions about what is PCCC, why consider PCCC important, barriers to grow in this direction and ask about resources considered relevant in the topic.
Results: PCCC encompasses a broad definition, includes physical, mental, socio-environmental and self care. Even benefits are proved, in developing countries the lack of a comprehensive and integrated healthcare network is one of the main barriers to reach this objective. Working hard to reach strong health policies, focus on patients, and optimizing the use of resources could improve the performance in the devolvement of PCCC programs. International collaboration could bring benefits. We believe information IT, and education in this field will play an important role in PCCC.
Conclusion: PCCC in developing countries has the potential to improve quality of care. Education, IT, policies and cultural issues must be addressed in an international collaborative context in order to reach this goal.
- 1 Institute of Medicine.. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century, Vol. 6. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2001
- 2 Suchman AL. Understanding and Promoting Patient-Centered Care. N Engl J Med 1994; Mar 24 330 (12) 873.
- 3 Epstein RM, Fiscella K, Lesser CS, Stange KC. Why The Nation Needs A Policy Push On Patient-Centered Health Care. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010; Aug 1 29 (08) 1489-95.
- 4 Coordinated Care pcmh.ahrq.gov [Internet].. [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: www.pcmh.ahrq.gov/page/coordinated-care
- 5 Little P, Everitt H, Williamson I, Warner G, Moore M, Gould C. et al. Observational study of effect of patient centredness and positive approach on outcomes of general practice consultations. BMJ 2001; Oct 20 323 7318 908-11.
- 6 Mirzaei M, Aspin C, Essue B, Jeon Y-H, Dugdale P, Usherwood T. et al. A patient-centred approach to health service delivery: improving health outcomes for people with chronic illness. BMC Health Serv Res 2013; Jul 3 13 (01) 251.
- 7 Davis K, Schoenbaum SC, Audet A-M. A 2020 vision of patient-centered primary care. J Gen Intern Med 2005; Oct 20 (10) 953-7.
- 8 O’Malley AS, Grossman JM, Cohen GR, Kemper NM, Pham HH. Are Electronic Medical Records Helpful for Care Coordination? Experiences of Physician Practices. J Gen Intern Med 2010; Mar 1 25 (03) 177-85.
- 9 Lawrence M, Kinn S. Defining and measuring patient-centred care: an example from a mixed-methods systematic review of the stroke literature. Health Expect Int J Public Particip Health Care Health Policy 2012; Sep 15 (03) 295-326.
- 10 CEPAL.. Manual de salud electrónica para directivos de servicios y sistemas de salud [Guide for electronic health service managers and health systems][Internet]. 2014 [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: http://www.cepal.org/es/publicaciones/manual-de-salud-electronica-para-directivos-de-servicios-y-sistemas-de-salud
- 11 Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century [Internet].. [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: /catalog/10027/crossing-the-quality-chasm-a-new-health-system-for-the
- 12 Kellerman R, Kirk L. Principles of the patient-centered medical home. Am Fam Physician 2007; Sep 15 76 (06) 774-5.
- 13 Rosenthal TC. The medical home: growing evidence to support a new approach to primary care. J Am Board Fam Med JABFM 2008; Oct 21 (05) 427-40.
- 14 MStewart JBB. The impact of patient-centered care on outcomes. J Fam Pract 2000; 49 (09) 796-804.
- 15 Mead N, Bower P. Patient-centred consultations and outcomes in primary care: a review of the literature. Patient Educ Couns 2002; Sep 48 (01) 51-61.
- 16 Mahendradhata Y, Souares A, Phalkey R, Sauerborn R. Optimizing patient-centeredness in the transitions of healthcare systems in low- and middle-income countries. BMC Health Serv Res 2014; Sep 12 14 (01) 386.
- 17 CEPAL.. Población y salud en América Latina y el Caribe: retos pendientes y nuevos desafíos. [Population and health in Latin America and the Caribbean: outstanding matters, new challenges] [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: http://www.cepal.org/es/publicaciones/poblacion-y-salud-en-america-latina-y-el-caribe-retos-pendientes-y-nuevos-desafios
- 18 CEPAL.. Salud electrónica en América Latina y el Caribe: avances y desafíos. [E-Health in Latin America and the Caribbean: progress and challenges] [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: http://www.cepal.org/es/publicaciones/salud-electronica-en-america-latina-y-el-caribe-avances-y-desafios
- 19 Ruelas E, Gómez-Dantés O, Leatherman S, Fortune T, Gay-Molina JG. Strengthening the quality agenda in health care in low- and middle-income countries: questions to consider. Int J Qual Health Care J Int Soc Qual Health Care ISQua 2012; Dec 24 (06) 553-7.
- 20 WHO | Urban Health Equity Assessment and Response Tool (Urban HEART) [Internet].. WHO. [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: http://www.who.int/kobe_centre/measuring/urbanheart/en
- 21 Bergeson SC, Dean JD. A systems approach to patient-centered care. JAMA 2006; Dec 20 296 (23) 2848-51.
- 22 Impact of Relational Coordination on Quality of Care, Pos Postoperative Pain and Functioning, and Length of Stay: A Nine-Hospital Study of Surgical Patients.. Medical Care 2000;38(8):807-19 [Internet]. [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: http://journals.lww.com/lww-medicalcare/Full-text/2000/08000/Impact_of_Relational_Coordination_on_Quality_of.5.aspx
- 23 Reynolds A. Patient-centered Care. Radiol Technol 2009; Dec 81 (02) 133-47.
- 24 Patient Centered Coordinated Care [Internet].. [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: www.commonwealthfund.org/grants-and-fellowships/programs/archived-programs/patient-centered-coordinated-care
- 25 Dwamena F, Holmes-Rovner M, Gaulden CM, Jorgenson S, Sadigh G, Sikorskii A. et al. Interventions for providers to promote a patient-centred approach in clinical consultations. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 12: CD003267.
- 26 Fiscella K, Meldrum S, Franks P, Shields CG, Duberstein P, McDaniel SH. et al. Patient trust: is it related to patient-centered behavior of primary care physicians?. Med Care 2004; Nov 42 (11) 1049-55.
- 27 Haidet P, Fecile ML, West HF, Teal CR. Reconsidering the team concept: educational implications for patient-centered cancer care. Patient Educ Couns 2009; Dec 77 (03) 450-5.
- 28 Mauksch LB, Dugdale DC, Dodson S, Epstein R. Relationship, communication, and efficiency in the medical encounter: creating a clinical model from a literature review. Arch Intern Med 2008; Jul 14 168 (13) 1387-95.
- 29 Dale J, Sandhu H, Lall R, Glucksman E. The patient, the doctor and the emergency department: a cross-sectional study of patient-centredness in 1990 and 2005. Patient Educ Couns 2008; Aug 72 (02) 320-9.
- 30 Shields L, Pratt J, Hunter J. Family centred care: a review of qualitative studies. J Clin Nurs 2006; Oct 15 (10) 1317-23.
- 31 Shields L, Zhou H, Pratt J, Taylor M, Hunter J, Pascoe E. Family-centred care for hospitalised children aged 0-12 years. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 10: CD004811.
- 32 Wagner EH, Groves T. Care for chronic diseases. BMJ 2002; Oct 26 325 7370 913-4.
- 33 Patient-Centered Communication in Cancer Care: Promoting Healing and Reducing Suffering [Internet].. [cited 2015 Jan 9]. Available from: http:appliedresearch.cancer.gov/areas/pcc/communication/monograph.html
- 34 Stender SC, Christensen A. Patient-centered primary health care: synergy potential for health systems strengthening. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis Off J Int Union Tuberc Lung Dis 2013; Oct 17 10 Suppl 1 15-21.
- 35 Bates DW, Bitton A. The Future Of Health Information Technology In The Patient-Centered Medical Home. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010; Apr 1 29 (04) 614-21.
- 36 Pham HH, O’Malley AS, Bach PB, Saiontz-Martinez C, Schrag D. Primary Care Physicians’ Links to Other Physicians Through Medicare Patients: The Scope of Care Coordination. Ann Intern Med 2009; Feb 17 150 (04) 236-42.
- 37 Berendes S, Heywood P, Oliver S, Garner P. Quality of Private and Public Ambulatory Health Care in Low and Middle Income Countries: Systematic Review of Comparative Studies. PLoS Med 2011; Apr 12 8 (04) e1000433.
- 38 De Jongh T, Gurol-Urganci I, Vodopivec-Jamsek V, Car J, Atun R. Mobile phone messaging for facilitating self-management of long-term illnesses. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 12: CD007459.
- 39 Vodopivec-Jamsek V, de Jongh T, Gurol-Urganci I, Atun R, Car J. Mobile phone messaging for preventive health care. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 12: CD007457.