Subscribe to RSS
Medical Informatics Education & Research in Greece
30 June 2015
10 March 2018 (online)
Objectives: This paper aims to present an overview of the medical informatics landscape in Greece, to describe the Greek ehealth background and to highlight the main education and research axes in medical informatics, along with activities, achievements and pitfalls.
Methods: With respect to research and education, formal and informal sources were investigated and information was collected and presented in a qualitative manner, including also quantitative indicators when possible.
Results: Greece has adopted and applied medical informatics education in various ways, including undergraduate courses in health sciences schools as well as multidisciplinary postgraduate courses. There is a continuous research effort, and large participation in EU-wide initiatives, in all the spectrum of medical informatics research, with notable scientific contributions, although technology maturation is not without barriers. Wide-scale deployment of eHealth is anticipated in the healthcare system in the near future. While ePrescription deployment has been an important step, ICT for integrated care and telehealth have a lot of room for further deployment.
Conclusions: Greece is a valuable contributor in the European medical informatics arena, and has the potential to offer more as long as the barriers of research and innovation fragmentation are addressed and alleviated.
- 1 WHO European Region: Greece. Available at: http://www.who.int/goe/publications/atlas/grc.pdf. Retrieved January 2015
- 2 Maglaveras N, Pappas C. Prospects of medical informatics education in Greece: can we bridge the gap?. Stud Health Technol Inform 2000; 72: 9-14.
- 3 Lionis C, Symvoulakis EK, Markaki A, Vardavas C, Papadaki M, Daniilidou N. et al. Integrated Primary Health Care in Greece, a Missing Issue in the Current Health Policy Agenda: A Systematic Review. Int J Integr Care 2009: 9
- 4 Pangalos G, Sfyroeras V, Pagkalos I. E-prescription as a tool for improving services and the financial viability of healthcare systems: the case of the Greek national e-prescription system. Int J Electron Healthc 2014; 7 (04) 301-14.
- 5 Souliotis K, Mantzana V, Papageorgiou M. Transforming public servants’ health care organization in greece through the implementation of an electronic referral project. Value in Health Regional Issues 2013; 2 (02) 312-8.
- 6 Lappa E, Giannakopoulos G. E-health Information Management according Types of DRGs and ICD Classification Systems: Greek Perspectives and Initiatives. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 2013; 73: 246-50.
- 7 Orphanoudakis S. HYGEIAnet: the integrated regional health information network of Crete. Stud Health Technol Inform 2004; 100: 66-78.
- 8 European Hospital Survey - Benchmarking Deployment of eHealth services (2012-2013). Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/news/european-hospital-survey-benchmarking-deployment-ehealth-services-2012-2013. Retrieved January 2015
- 9 epSOS D3.2.2 Final definition of functional service requirements - Patient Summary.. Oct 29, 2012. Available at: http://www.epsos.eu/uploads/tx_epsosfileshare/D3.2.2_Final_Definition_Function-al_Service_Req_Patient_Summary.pdf. Retrieved January 2015
- 10 Koutkias V, Kilintzis V, Stalidis G, Lazou K, Niès J, Durand-Texte L. et al. Knowledge engineering for adverse drug event prevention: on the design and development of a uniform, contextualized and sustainable knowledge-based framework. J Biomed Inform 2012; Jun 45 (03) 495-506.
- 11 Koutkias VG, McNair P, Kilintzis V, Skovhus Andersen K, Niès J. et al. From adverse drug event detection to prevention. A novel clinical decision support framework for medication safety. Methods Inf Med 2014; 53 (06) 482-92.
- 12 Jung M, Hoerbst A, Hackl WO, Kirrane F, Borbolla D, Jaspers MW. et al. Attitude of physicians towards automatic alerting in computerized physician order entry systems. A comparative international survey. Methods Inf Med 2013; 52 (02) 99-108.
- 13 Mourouzis A, Themistocleous M, Maglogiannis I, Chouvarda I, Maglaveras N. PinCloud: Effective Personalization and Self-management of Health Data and Care Services. IFMBE Proceedings 2015; 45: 707-10.
- 14 Tazari M-R, Furfari F, Valero ÁV, Hanke S, Höftberger O, Kehagias D. et al. The universAAL Reference Model for AAL. In: Handbook of Ambient Assisted Living, Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments. Vol. 11. IOS Press; 2012. p. 610-25.
- 15 Bekiaris E, Mourouzis A, Maglaveras N. The REMOTE AAL Project: Remote Health and Social Care for Independent Living of Isolated Elderly with Chronic Conditions. In: Stephanidis C. editor. Universal Access in HCI, Part I, HCII 2011, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 6765;. 2011. p. 131-40.
- 16 Mandiliotis D, Toumpas K, Kyprioti K, Kaza K, Barroso J, Hadjileontiadis LJ. Symbiosis: An Innovative Human-Computer Interaction Environment for Alzheimer’s Support. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. User and Context Diversity. Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol 8010 2013 P. 123-32.
- 17 Chouvarda I, Philip NY, Natsiavas P, Kilintzis V, Sobnath D, Kayyali R. et al. WELCOME - Innovative integrated care platform using wearable sensing and smart cloud computing for COPD patients with Comorbidities. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2014; Aug 2014: 3180-3.
- 18 Stamatakos G, Dionysiou D, Lunzer A, Belleman R, Kolokotroni E, Georgiadi E. et al. The Technologically Integrated Oncosimulator: combining multiscale cancer modelling with information technology in the in silico oncology context. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform 2014; 18 (03) 840-54.
- 19 Kondylakis H, Kazantzaki E, Koumakis L, Genitsaridi I, Marias K, Gorini A. et al. Development of Interactive Empowerment services in support of personalized medicine. ecancer 2014; 8: 400. doi: 10.3332/ecancer.2014.400.
- 20 Koutkias V, Kaklanis N, Votis K, Tzovaras D, Maglaveras N. An integrated semantic framework supporting universal accessibility to ICT. Universal Access in the Information Society, 2014 DOI: 10.1007/s10209-014-0372-1
- 21 FP7 Health programme 2007-2013:Facts & Figures for the Greek Participation.. Available at: http://metrics.ekt.gr/sites/metrics/files/EKT_HEALTH_report_2015_el.pdf. Retrieved February 2015
- 22 Maglaveras N, Chouvarda I, Koutkias VG, Gogou G, Lekka I, Goulis D. et al. The Citizen Health System (CHS) : A generic contact center enabling home care through pervasive computing and quality telemedicine services. IEEE Trans Inf Technool Biomed 2005; 9 (03) 353-62.
- 23 Maglaveras N, Reiter H. Towards Closed-Loop Personal Health Systems in Cardiology: the HeartCycle Approach. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2011; 2011: 892-5.
- 24 Maglaveras N, Bonato P, Tamura T. Editorial – Special Section on Personal Health Systems. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 2010; 14 (02) 360-3.