Subscribe to RSS
A biomechanical comparison of external skeletal fixation and plating for the stabilization of ilial osteotomies in dogs
Received: 14 October 2006
Accepted 24 February 2007
19 December 2017 (online)
This in vitro study compares the biomechanical properties of two methods of ilial fracture repair in dogs. Ten pelves were harvested from skeletally mature mixed breed dogs weighing 20–27 kg and bilateral oblique ilial body osteotomies were created. One hemipelvis from each dog was stabilized with a 2.7 mm plate and screws and the contralateral hemipelvis was stabilized with a five pin linear external fixator construct. Each hemipelvis was mounted at an angle of 30° to an actuator platform, such that the acetabulum was centrally loaded by a steel sphere attached to the load cell of a servohydraulic materials testing machine. The construct was loaded at a constant rate of 20 mm/min. A load/displacement curve was generated for each hemipelvis by plotting the sustained load against the actuator movement. The stiffness, yield load and failure load for each hemipelvis were determined from the load/displacement curve. Bending stiffness was defined as the slope of the load/displacement curve from 100 N to yield load. The mode of failure was determined by observations made during testing and gross inspection of each specimen. The mean construct stiffness, yield load and failure load were compared between stabilization groups using a Student’s paired t-test with statistical significance set at p>0.05. Nine out of 10 of the hemipelves that were stabilized by plates and screws failed catastrophically by fracture through the caudal screw holes and nine out of 10 of the hemipelves that were stabilized using an external fixator failed by fracture of the ischium in the region supported by the mounting roller, propagating through the most caudal ischial pin. There was not any significant difference (P = 0.22) in bending stiffness between stabilization techniques, but yield (1467 N vs 2620 N; P = 0.04) and failure (1918 N vs 2687 N; P = 0.002) loads were significantly greater for hemipelves stabilized with external fixators.
- 1 Hulse DA. Acetabular fractures.. In: Bojrab MJ, Current techniques in small animal surgery. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger; 1983: 598-602.
- 2 Patrick FE, Boyd JS, Li A. External fixation of pelvic fractures in dogs.. Clin Anat 2002; 15: 74.
- 3 Patrick FE, Boyd JS, Li A. A classification system for small animal pelvic fractures.. Clin Anat 2000; 13: 225.
- 4 Vangundy TE, Hulse DA, Nelson JK. et al. Mechanical Evaluation of two canine iliac fracture fixation systems.. Vet Surg 1988; 17: 321-327.
- 5 Denny HR. Pelvic fractures in the dog: are view of 123 cases.. J Small Anim Pract 1978; 19: 151-155.
- 6 Brown SG, Biggart JF. Plate fixation of iliac shaft fractures in the dog.. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1975; 167: 472-478.
- 7 Roush JK, Manley PA. Mini plate failure after repair of ilial and acetabular fractures in 9 small dogs and 1 cat.. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1992; 28: 112-118.
- 8 Hulse DA, Van Gundy T, Johnson S. et al. Compression screw stabilization of oblique ilial fractures in the dog.. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1989; 4: 162-167.
- 9 Breshears LA, Fitch RB, Wallace LJ. et al. The radiographic evaluation of repaired canine ilial fractures (69 cases).. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2004; 17: 64-72.
- 10 Houlton J, Dyce J. Management of pelvic fractures in the dog and cat.. Waltham International Focus 1994; 4: 17-34.
- 11 Dunbar AC. Evaluating pelvic fractures: indications for surgical correction.. Vet Med 1984; 79: 1047-1052.
- 12 Steven GE, Brasmer TH. The use of aplastic bone plate in the repair of pelvic fractures in the dog.. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1978; 14: 597-601.
- 13 Robins GM. et al. The plating of pelvic fractures in the dog.. Vet Rec 1973; 93: 550-554.
- 14 Ost PC, Kaderly RE. Use of reconstruction plates for the repair of segmental ilial fractures involving acetabular comminution in four dogs.. Vet Surg 1986; 15: 259-264.
- 15 Fitch RB. Incorporating ventral fixation into ilial fracture repairs.. ACVS Surgical Summit meeting, Denver, CO, October 2004 .
- 16 Patrick FE, Boyd JS, Li A. Patterns of pelvic fracture in the dog and consequences for treatment.. Presented at the British Association of Clinical Anatomists and American Association of Clinical Anatomists, Joint Summer Meeting, Cambridge, 2000 .
- 17 Remedios A, Fries C. Implant complications in 20 triple pelvic osteotomies.. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1993; 6: 202-207.
- 18 Knowles AT, Knowles JO, Knowles RP. Clinical application of splints in fractures of the pelvis. Part II, Special Considerations.. Vet Med 1949; 44: 308-310.
- 19 Alexander JE, Archibald J, Cawley AJ. Pelvic fractures and their repair in small animals.. Modern Vet Pract 1962; 43: 41-45.
- 20 Alexander JE, Archibald J, Cawley AJ. Multiple Fractures of the pelvis in small animals.. Modern Vet Pract 1962; 44: 33-36.
- 21 Dingwall JS. Fractures of the pelvis.. In: Canine Surgery, Archibald (ed), 1974; 987-1045.
- 22 Dingwall JS. Luxation of the hip joint.. In: Canine Surgery, Archibald (ed), 1974; 1084-1095.
- 23 Eaton-Wells RD, Matis U, Robins GM. et al. The pelvis and the pelvic limb.. Part 1. Pelvic fractures. In: Whittick WG, Canine orthopedics. Philadelphia, London: Lea & Febiger; 2nd ed 1990: 387-471.
- 24 Olson ML. Multiple fractures of the pelvis.. In: Lacroix JV Hoskins HP, Canine Surgery, 3rd ed. Evanston, IL: American Veterinary Publications Inc.,; 1952: 644-652.
- 25 Fitzpatrick N, Perry K, O’Riordan J. External skeletal fixation of pelvic fractures in dogs and cats: principles of application and outcome in 159 cases.. Proceedings of 34th Annual Conference of the Veterinary Orthopedic Society, Sun Valley, ID, March 2007: 66.
- 26 Dahners LE, Jacobs RR, Jayraman G. et al. A study of external skeletal fixation system for unstable pelvic fractures.. JTrauma 1984; 24: 876-881.
- 27 Dunn AW, Morns HD. Fractures and dislocations of the pelvis.. J Bone Joint Surg 1968; 50(A): 1639-1648.
- 28 Mears DC, Mears FU, Mears FH. Modern concepts of external skeletal fixation of the pelvis.. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1980; 151: 66-72.
- 29 Kellam J. The role of external fixation in pelvic disruptions.. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1989; 241: 66-82.
- 30 Burgess AR, Eastridge BJ, Young JW. Pelvic ring disruptions: effective classification system and treatment protocols.. J Trauma 1990; 30: 848-856.
- 31 Gunterberg B, Goldie I, Slatis P. Fixation of pelvic fractures and dislocations.. Acta Orthop Scand 1978; 49-278.
- 32 Simonian PT, Chip-Routt ML, Harrington RM. et al. The unstable iliac fracture: a biomechanical evaluation of internal fixation.. Injury 1997; 28: 469-475.
- 33 Kim WY, Hearn TC, Seleem O. et al. Effect of pin location on stability of pelvic external fixation.. Clin Orthop Related Res 1999; 361: 237-244.
- 34 Liu J, Lai KA, Chou YL. Strength of the pin-bone interface of external fixation pins in the iliac crest - a biomechanical study. Clin Orthop Rel Res 1995; 310: 237-244.
- 35 Brooker AF, Cooney WP, Chao EY. Chapter 2: Principles of external fixation.. In: Principles of external fixation. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1983: 5-22.
- 36 Bronson DG, Ross JD, Welch RD. Biomechanical Comparison of The IM EX SK and KE External Fixator Systems.. Proceedings of 26th Annual Conference of the Veterinary Orthopedic Society Sun Valley, ID, March 1999: 40.
- 37 Egger EL. External skeletal fixation.. In: Bojrab MJ, Birchard SJ, Tomlinson JL. Current techniques in small animal surgery, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lea&Feibiger; 1990: 186-198.
- 38 Lewis DD. Course notes University of Glasgow Veterinary School, 2nd Course on the linear external fixator, 2001; August 22-24.
- 39 Aron DN, Toombs JP, Hollingsworth SC. Primary treatment of severe fractures by external skeletal fixation: threaded pins compared with smooth pins.. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1986; 22: 659-670.
- 40 Johnson AL, DeCamp CE. External skeletal fixation: linear fixators.. Vet Clin N Am (Sm Anim Pract) 1999; 29: 1135-1152.
- 41 Fitzpatrick N, O’Riordan J. Application of palpation-visualization pin anchor realignment (PVPAR) technique for repair of sacro-iliac luxation and fracture in 48 cats and 12 dogs.. Proceedings of 32nd Annual Conference of the Veterinary Orthopedic Society, Big Sky, Montana, March 2005; 27.
- 42 Fitch RB, Hosgood G, Staatz A. Biomechanical evaluation of triple pelvic osteotomy with and without additional ventral plate stabilization.. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2002; 15: 145-149.
- 43 Beaver DP, Lewis DD, Lanz OI. et al. Evaluation of four interfragmentary Kirschner wire configurations as a component of screw/wire/polymethyl-methacrylate fixation for acetabular fractures in dogs.. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2000; 36: 456-462.
- 44 Lanz OI, Lewis DD, Madison JB. et al. Abiomechanical comparison of composite fixation and veterinary acetabular plates for stabilization of acetabular osteotomies in dogs loaded in three-pointbending fashion.. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1998; 11: 152-157.
- 45 Stubbs WP, Lewis DD, Miller G. et al. A biomechanical evaluation and assessment of the accuracy of two methods of acetabular osteotomy fixation in dogs.. Vet Surg 1998; 27: 429-437.
- 46 Hosgood G, Lewis DD. Retrospective evaluation of fixation complications of 49 pelvic osteotomies in 36 dogs.. J Small Anim Pract 1993; 34: 123-130.
- 47 Kock D. Screws and Plates.. In: Johnson AL, Houlton JEF, Vannini RAO principles of fracture management in the dog and cat. AO publishing, Clavadelerstrasse, Switzerland, 42, 2005 .
- 48 Brinker WO, Hohn RB, Prieur WD. Basic aspects of internal fixation: A scientific background to internal fixation.. Implants and their applications: screws.. In: Manual of internal fixation in small animals. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, 1984; 33-63.
- 49 Piermattei DL, Flo GL, DeCamp CE. Fractures of the Pelvis.. In: Handbook of small animal orthopaedics and fracture treatment, 4th ed. Saunders Elsevier; St Louis, Missouri: 2006: 433-460.
- 50 Henry WB. A method of bone plating for repairing iliac and acetabular fractures.. Comp Cont Ed Prac Vet 1985; 7: 924-940.
- 51 Brinker WO, Verstraete MC, Soutas-Little RW. Stiffness studies on various configurations and types of external fixators.. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1985; 21: 801-808.
- 52 Palmer RH, Hulse DA, Hyman WA. et al. Principles of bone healing and biomechanics of external skeletal fixation.. In: External skeletal fixation. Vet Clin N Am 1992; 22: 45-68.
- 53 Lewallen DG, Chao EYS, Kasman RA. et al. Comparison of the effects of compression plates and external fixators on early bone healing.. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1984; 66: 1084-1091.
- 54 Doornink MT, Nieves MA, Evans R. Evaluation of ilial screw loosening after triple pelvic osteotomy in dogs: 227 cases (1991-1999).. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006; 229: 535-541.
- 55 Radin EL, Blaha JD, Rose RM. et al. Mechanics of fracture and fracture fixation.. In: Practical biomechanics for the orthopaedic surgeon 2nd ed, Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY, 1992; 53-69.
- 56 Anderson GM, Cross AR, Lewis DD. et al. The effect of plate luting on reduction accuracy and biomechanics of acetabular osteotomies stabilised with 2.7 mm reconstruction plates.. Vet Surg 2002; 31: 3-9.
- 57 Hardie RJ, Bertram JEA, Todhunter RJ. et al. Biomechanical comparison of two plating techniques for fixation of acetabular osteotomies in dogs.. Vet Surg 1999; 28: 148-153.