Subscribe to RSS
Stifle arthrodesis in two cats
05 September 2011
Accepted 21 April 2012
18 December 2017 (online)
Two Domestic Shorthaired cats were admitted after sustaining multiligamentous injuries of the stifle joint. In one cat, prosthetic ligamentous reconstruction was unsuccessful at maintaining normal stifle stability. Both cats were treated with stifle arthrodesis using internal fixation with a plate and screws without external coaptation. In one case, arthrodesis was achieved using a 2.7 mm 16-hole dynamic compression plate placed medially. In the second case, a 2.7 mm 14-hole dynamic compression plate was placed cranially. No major complications were noted, and both cats were able to return to good levels of activity in the medium term.
- 1 Lesser AS. Arthrodesis. In: Slatter D. editor. Textbook of Small Animal Surgery. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co; 2003. pg. 2170-2180
- 2 Piermattei DL, Flo GL, DeCamp CE. The Stifle Joint. In: Piermattei DL, Flo GL, DeCamp CE. editors. Handbook of Small Animal Orthopaedics and Fracture Repair. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2006. pg. 562-632
- 3 Watson C, Rochat M, Payton M. Effect of weight bearing on the joint angles of the fore- and hind limb of the dog. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2003; 16: 250-254.
- 4 Voss K, Langley-Hobbs SJ, Montavon PM. Stifle joint. In: Montavon PM, Voss K. Langley-Hobbs editors. Feline Orthopaedic Surgery and Musculoskeletal Disease. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2009. pg. 475-490
- 5 Collins KE, Lewis DD, Lanz OI. et al. Use of a circular external fixator for stifle arthrodesis in a dog. J Small Anim Pract 2000; 41: 312-315.
- 6 Cofone MA, Smith GK, Lenehan TM. et al. Unilateral and bilateral stifle arthrodesis in eight dogs. Vet Surg 1992; 21: 299-303.
- 7 Borjab MJ, Slocum B, Ellison GW. Bone graft harvest: wing of the ilium. In: Bojrab MJ. editor. Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1998. pg. 908-909
- 8 Piermattei DL, Johnson KA. Approach to the distal femur and stifle joint through a lateral incision. In: An atlas of surgical approaches to the bones and joints of the dog and cat. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 2004. pg. 338-341
- 9 Connery NA, Rackard S. The surgical treatment of traumatic stifle disruption in a cat. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2000; 13: 208-211.
- 10 Phillips IR. Dislocation of the stifle joint in the cat. J Small Animal Prac 1982; 23: 217-221.
- 11 Bruce WJ. Stifle joint luxation in the cat: treatment using transarticular external skeletal fixation. J Small Anim Pract 1999; 40: 482-488.
- 12 Bruce WJ. Multiple ligamentous injuries of the canine stifle joint: a study of 12 cases. J Small Anim Pract 1998; 39: 333-340.
- 13 Denny HR, Butterworth SJ. The Stifle. In: Denny HR, Butterworth SJ. editors. A guide to Canine and Feline Orthopaedic Surgery. Oxford: Blackwell Science; 2000. pg. 512-533
- 14 Charnley J, Baker SL. Compression arthrodesis of the knee. A clinical and histological study. J Bone Joint Surg 1952; 34B: 187-199.
- 15 Guerrero TG, Montavon PM. Medial plating for carpal panarthrodesis. Vet Surg 2005; 34: 153-158.
- 16 Lucas GL, Cooke FW, Friis EA. Mechanics of treatment. In: A Primer of Biomechanics. New York: Springer-Verlag Inc; 1999. pg. 126-137